Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021/2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has she even tried to be an assistant coach to get her foot in the door or is this all for PR sake?
Exactly this

I have no issue with her applying for the role, but if she's serious about wanting to coach in the AFL then at least be willing to do some hard work by coming up through the ranks of assistant coaching - even if it's starting as an assistant at VFL or local level

Don't complain about not getting the senior gig if you're not willing to go through the work experience process first

They would be deregistered after one game for bringing the game in dispute by calling the AFL corrupt and against them their pre game interview

And would spend the whole post match interview complaining about the umpiring and cheating that the game wasn't played at KP even if it's Freo's home game

But but, but premierships :eek:
Can I ask a philosophical question here?
Winning the flags in 07, 09, 11 was unbelievably good, and a sheer relief as well, but are they life-changing for us supporters?
We used to have a supporter poster here on BF whose life seemed catastrophic if we lost, and affected his mental health.
Supporting Geelong as long as some of us have, there has never been a better era. Winning games at least 70% of the year has to be better than all the other teams around who are nowhere near that %, and I personally find it VERY EASY to accept that being in contention almost every year is a bonus, and to not win that flag in those years is transiently disappointing, but again, not life changing. How do others feel?
Living in Geelong, family members tell me that the whole place is more vibrant when we are victorious, in home and away, and incredibly after a flag.
Having said all that, I would be ecstatic if we win it this year again.

Exactly this

I have no issue with her applying for the role, but if she's serious about wanting to coach in the AFL then at least be willing to do some hard work by coming up through the ranks of assistant coaching - even if it's starting as an assistant at VFL or local level

Don't complain about not getting the senior gig if you're not willing to go through the work experience process first
She claims she doesn't have to, because her skills are directly transferable from netball. She might be a good people person, and a good sports manager, but to be an AFL coach you need to be on top of tactics both in planning and in on the day implementation. C Scott is A1 at that, I'm not so sure she would be.

She claims she doesn't have to, because her skills are directly transferable from netball. She might be a good people person, and a good sports manager, but to be an AFL coach you need to be on top of tactics both in planning and in on the day implementation. C Scott is A1 at that, I'm not so sure she would be.
Im sure that’ll go down well with the other assistance coaches that have done the right thing and climbed the ladder and expose themselves to the runnings of an AFL club ect

You cannot expect to get the top job if you have zero exposure to the industry in any shape or form, Like I said previously it feels more like a PR exercise than a serious attempt to get a coaching position

She could send pendles to play wing attack?

Can I ask a philosophical question here?
Winning the flags in 07, 09, 11 was unbelievably good, and a sheer relief as well, but are they life-changing for us supporters?
We used to have a supporter poster here on BF whose life seemed catastrophic if we lost, and affected his mental health.
Supporting Geelong as long as some of us have, there has never been a better era. Winning games at least 70% of the year has to be better than all the other teams around who are nowhere near that %, and I personally find it VERY EASY to accept that being in contention almost every year is a bonus, and to not win that flag in those years is transiently disappointing, but again, not life changing. How do others feel?
Living in Geelong, family members tell me that the whole place is more vibrant when we are victorious, in home and away, and incredibly after a flag.
Having said all that, I would be ecstatic if we win it this year again.

In short, no. It is, after all, just a game.

How we perceive success depends on the time line I reckon. Following a team during a period in which it sustains a high winning margin is very rewarding in the here and now, no doubt.

But in the longer term, I think many will feel a bit unfulfilled if all that fades away without any more flags.

I am absolutely all for equality in the AFL and if a female coach turned out to be good enough to be a senior coach then I'll be at the front of the line hoping it happens, but this is just... I can't even. I don't want to say "toxic feminism" and trying to jump the queue purely to break a boundary, but.... I kinda think that's exactly what this is.
Do the hard work, be an assistant so you actually have even the slightest idea about the sport THEN see if you can improve from there.
It'll be like me putting in the resume to be Apples next CEO, you know, because I've used Apple devices before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In short, no. It is, after all, just a game.

How we perceive success depends on the time line I reckon. Following a team during a period in which it sustains a high winning margin is very rewarding in the here and now, no doubt.

But in the longer term, I think many will feel a bit unfulfilled if all that fades away without any more flags.
All the wins kind of mean nothing if you have nothing to show for it imo. It’s what they all play for, to win a premiership. They don’t play to have a good h&a record.

It’s a wasted opportunity.

All the wins kind of mean nothing if you have nothing to show for it imo. It’s what they all play for, to win a premiership. They don’t play to have a good h&a record.

It’s a wasted opportunity.

Yeah.......as time goes on all that's remembered are the Premierships. It's the only bragging right that holds up.

I hope CS can nail it this year.

What about all of the 'in the moment enjoyment' when the team wins the majority of its games during the season? The jumping to our feet and roaring when Hawk kicks one of those from the boundary goals? I've seen three premierships! Sure more would be great, but I won't feel disappointed with footy supporting life if there aren't anymore for a long while. We have more golden moments in a year than some teams have in ten years or more.

The older I get the more I don’t place my enjoyment/fulfilment solely on the club’s success, I hope that’s wisdom and sure I’d enjoy another flag or two …but after my drunk meltdown after the last GF loss I’ve reflected that there’s more to life than living vivacious through the club….been embarrassing reflecting on that

The older I get the more I don’t place my enjoyment/fulfilment solely on the club’s success, I hope that’s wisdom and sure I’d enjoy another flag or two …but after my drunk meltdown after the last GF loss I’ve reflected that there’s more to life than living vivacious through the club….been embarrassing reflecting on that

With age comes wisdom!

Well the AFL does seem to like bruise free football.
Not sure there's too many bruise free netball games now days - those gals aren't scared to put their body on the line or a shoulder into an opponent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back