Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021/2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, it's becoming a very blurred line nowadays what with SJW going nuts at almost anything. I'm also of the mind that we should celebrate our differences. Good-natured banter between friends of different races is fine, but used perjoratively is just sh*t. Especially when used in a public situation where you should know better. At the minimum, good manners and class would dictate against it.
In NBA, I think Jeremy Lin took some crap from other players. But he also cashed in on his race.
I would draw a different line on racism to other topics. Other injustices that people highlight really just come down to asking people to stop being a jerk to other people, which in my opinion is fair enough but not materially important to the national interest.

The line I think we should draw on racism is that it has led to some of the worst miscalculations in history. Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union, Russian miscalculation of Japanese capacity in the Russo-Japanese war, there's an unending history of obvious military blunders based almost purely on racism. On the diplomatic front how many propaganda victories do the enemies of our nation gain from our own racism? Think of the way that China used Australian war crimes in Afghanistan, the Soviet propaganda against the US in regards to southern racism against African Americans was influential in disrupting American interests in Latin America and Africa and it was based on real footage and incidents, it wasn't even really propaganda. Do you remember the treatment of Indian students some 10 years ago? How much did that cost the Australian economy in dollars from students and tourism? After the cronulla race riots I read some tourism operators saw a 75% drop in revenue because foreign governments were directing their citizens to stay away from that part of Sydney.

Racism is a form of collective stupidity that I don't think we can afford in our society. It is a weakness that leaves us exposed in a huge number of ways and it needs to stop dead.

There are so many different media outlets now, it's hard to not to generalize. There are good ones and absolute toxic ones. Even the good ones have their biases and sacred cows they won't criticize. One really has to be aware of what they are consuming.
The big tech companies are the worst. Specifically google and facebook. Scrubbing any info that doesn’t fit their narrative. Post info about having an adverse reaction to the covid vax, and see how long it lasts.

Interesting.

I think NSW have been the most liberal state in handling the virus and until recently they were the "gold standard" and all the other states were too reactive , too fearful... just how much of their success that was luck..?
I think Delta has changed things a bit.

The big tech companies are the worst. Specifically google and facebook. Scrubbing any info that doesn’t fit their narrative. Post info about having an adverse reaction to the covid vax, and see how long it lasts.
Ah yes, Facebook, famous for their willingness to police what people post on their platform.

Post info about having an adverse reaction to the covid vax, and see how long it lasts.

Just on this, I'd tell folks to hold out on current jabs. I know the government wants to ensure their millions of dollars spent on AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson and Pfizer do not go to waste but a new vaccine is going to hit the market in the next month and it's had promising reviews by doctors. Much better than the current vaccines available to the general public.

Just on this, I'd tell folks to hold out on current jabs. I know the government wants to ensure their millions of dollars spent on AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson and Pfizer do not go to waste but a new vaccine is going to hit the market in the next month and it's had promising reviews by doctors. Much better than the current vaccines available to the general public.
This isn't accurate: Novavax is not 'much better' than current vaccines, and it's not going to hit the market in Australia next month (probably not until 2022). Given the current situation in Australia you would also be insane to turn down an AZ or Pfizer jab if one was immediately available.

This isn't accurate: Novavax is not 'much better' than current vaccines, and it's not going to hit the market in Australia next month (probably not until 2022). Given the current situation in Australia you would also be insane to turn down an AZ or Pfizer jab if one was immediately available.
I'm only just about to be eligible for AZ but I am currently looking at the 12 week wait for the second shot and trying to figure out if I'd end up getting Pfizer in less than 9 weeks because if so I'd end up fully vaccinated quicker.

But yeah, holding out for anything that's not already here is a fools errand.

This is extremely bad advice

I think Delta has changed things a bit.

Yes and no. Variants were always going to happen and they appeared to sit back and chuff in their position and bask in Victoria's hardship last year. The Delta variant has a R nought at around 8 , if not worse and that was known before their current situation and yet they were still slow to act, as if they did not want to concede their position on being liberal and open was now wrong.

The spanish flu had three or four waves, I find it amazing we still have some people , some footballers who think that the situation is just a contrivance of TV and Radio coverage. As if people stopped talking about it and treated it like flu that ..all would be good. Of course they would not be the ones dealing with the medical consequences

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What factual basis do you have to report this. Factual evidence? Not just opinion.

J&J not used in australia ..its similar to AZ

Modena is mrna vaccine ..how is it much different to phizer?

Phizer going to waste? Its almost unattainable in some areas..and it has just been moved form 3 weeks out to 6 weeks plus for a second jab..its hardly sitting on shelves going to waste.

Novavax is a protien vaccine...but I have not read enough on it but it looks promising but not that different to mrna. When its approved for use then choose it if you prefer. Im all for choice its a core value of our society.

imo AZ is a risk judgement... 1in 100,000 etc... id say in nsw atm the risk of the virus is far worse than it was 3 months ago, and id assess taking it with that in mind. ...but its up to each individual.

When people are getting sick I think we have to be very careful about advising people not to take something that so many experts say should be taken.

Last edited:
Found this on the Port board lol

4e71a1d3-047e-4d96-8097-d1e61b0054f4-jpeg.1197321

Holy s**t that's amazing!

More utter hilarity from Gil. Somehow he has the temerity to say this, all the while knowing that the Cats have been screwed over (and will be screwed over in the future) by a policy that is the polar opposite.

What. A. Joke.

McLachlan stressed he still expects the Grand Final to be played at the MCG, even saying the integrity of the finals would have a higher priority than the number of fans who will be able to attend games.

What factual basis do you have to report this. Factual evidence? Not just opinion.

J&J not used in australia ..its similar to AZ

Modena is mrna vaccine ..how is it much different to phizer?

Phizer going to waste? Its almost unattainable in some areas..and it has just been moved form 3 weeks out to 6 weeks plus for a second jab..its hardly sitting on shelves going to waste.

Novavax is a protien vaccine...but I have not read enough on it but it looks promising but not that different to mrna. When its approved for use then choose it if you prefer. Im all for choice its a core value of our society.

imo AZ is a risk judgement... 1in 100,000 etc... id say in nsw atm the risk of the virus is far worse than it was 3 months ago, and id assess taking it with that in mind. ...but its up to each individual.

When people are getting sick I think we have to be very careful about advising people not to take something that so many experts say should be taken.

This vaccine has also been backed up by many leading health professionals as well as a prominent professor in the USA.

Our government has already been using this vaccine despite it not being officially approved. I think this drug is going to be the main choice of preference as it will certainly get the tick of approval and begin rolling out in the coming months.

This vaccine has also been backed up by many leading health professionals as well as a prominent professor in the USA.

Our government has already been using this vaccine despite it not being officially approved. I think this drug is going to be the main choice of preference as it will certainly get the tick of approval and begin rolling out in the coming months.

and once its approved and the first choice fine. There is no over supply of phizer , no need to worry about it going to waste.

and once its approved and the first choice fine. There is no over supply of phizer , no need to worry about it going to waste.

I am not worried about current vaccines going to waste but I can assure you our government is. They spent 3.2 billion on them so it's necessary they ensure every Australian gets the jab.

That vaccine hasn't even lodged for approval in the US and we're not expected to see it until 2022. It'll be here as a booster shot

If you're not vaccinated by January you'll be running a gauntlet

Sorry to interrupt the vaccine discussion to return to football discussion - the following tweet is something I saw this morning and raises an interesting point that fans racially vilifying a player cop harder sanctions then a player going at another player

Sorry to interrupt the vaccine discussion to return to football discussion - the following tweet is something I saw this morning and raises an interesting point that fans racially vilifying a player cop harder sanctions then a player going at another player

Especially so, considering the education they receive about racism, playing in indigenous games, and having indigenous teammates. They should 100% know better than the average simpleton in the street. But then again, simpleton is the perfect word to describe tex.

Not equivalent.

For fans AFL is a hobby. For players it's their job.

Also the fan isn't asked to pay $20k in fines, attend conciliation sessions, or undertake an education program involving community volunteering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back