Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021/2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly with the new deformation laws it must be like walking on egg shells moderating,Bloody De Goey I was so pissed with Brisbane trading picks with Collingwood allowing them to take him and Moore in the 2014 draft I thought he might have got to us at about pick 10, not as pissed off today.

I used to read and occasionally post on another sports forum and they actually ran into problems with issues of a sensitive nature, where it came down to reiterating, 'don't confuse allegations or charges with confirmation of guilt'

I know we'll have opinions about this particular situation, but we have to let this matter play out through the correct channels

This sounds a lot like victim blaming.
It's not victim blaming. Victim blaming is saying something reprehensible like the girl dressed for attention and she had it coming.

Observing due legal process and stating facts, like the fact that he has been charged, but hasn't been convicted, isn't victim blaming.

It's not victim blaming. Victim blaming is saying something reprehensible like the girl dressed for attention and she had it coming.

Observing due legal process and stating facts, like the fact that he has been charged, but hasn't been convicted, isn't victim blaming.
It was just a typically ill-informed and ill-natured attempted comeback at cats_09 because she called him out when he was actually guilty of victim blaming.

Exactly with the new deformation laws it must be like walking on egg shells moderating,Bloody De Goey I was so pissed with Brisbane trading picks with Collingwood allowing them to take him and Moore in the 2014 draft I thought he might have got to us at about pick 10, not as pissed off today.
The part I love about those defamation laws is that the attorney general was going to water them down significantly until he found he personally wanted to use them to try salvage his own career and now we're stuck with them again going forward. Not corrupt at all

There may be laws against calling someone deformed when they're not, but you are referring to defamation laws.

It just amazes me that Collingwood got rid of Adam Treloar for putting his wife and kid first and yet held onto a serial sexual assaulter who treats women like sh*t. Says a lot about that sh*t club and its culture.
I've said this before.....my assumption is that Collingwood always intended for DeGoey to be the 'sacrifice' to retain everyone else. North were circling with the WarChest(TM) to take him off their books and relieve all the cap pressure.

Then DeGoey kept stuffing up, North got cold feet, and Collingwood were now stuck with him and having to let other players go.

I'm actually feeling for the Pies supporters over this one. What are they supposed to think or feel now?
The club is just constantly finding ways to embarrass itself. They finally get rid of Eddie 'I have heaps of black friends' McGuire, and overhaul the place, and De Goey pops his head up to embarrass them again.
Now hes gotten himself a lawyer with a track record of harassing victims to defend him, and the grubbiest charge has been dropped.
On one side, innocent until proven guilty, and on the other side, how many times does the average punter 'have sexual assault charges against them dropped'.
Pies 'seem' to want to clean up, but now they have the humiliation, but without the legal charges they probably cant do anything. Indeed, SHOULD they even do anything without charges?

Its history catching up with them. Richmond are headed down that road now too. Lots of poor behaviour for no recourse.
Maybe this all goes on forever and footy players 'are' above us.
Maybe its pandemic fatigue, but the league smells riper than a diseased salmon in the sun these days.

Looks like the groping charge (forcible touching) has been dropped but the assault charge stands for De Goey and his mate. I don't think this makes De Goey innocent of the sexual assault part, I suspect there's been a bit of lawyer negotiation going on here in the background. It's been reported that De Goey is being represented by one of the best defense counsels in the USA. So someone with money and connections has stepped in to help the sleazebag out. Meanwhile, his mate who was also charged was left hung to dry and has to get US legal aid to help him defend his case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the groping charge (forcible touching) has been dropped but the assault charge stands for De Goey and his mate. I don't think this makes De Goey innocent of the sexual assault part, I suspect there's been a bit of lawyer negotiation going on here in the background. It's been reported that De Goey is being represented by one of the best defense counsels in the USA. So someone with money and connections has stepped in to help the sleazebag out. Meanwhile, his mate who was also charged was left hung to dry and has to get US legal aid to help him defend his case.
This can be some of the slimiest, thuggish work, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo preety much what I said what was going to happen. To the letter.

Need to laugh at the fact I got a notification from a post I made that was LOL'D at by a Richmond fan from Sep 2019. Check their account and they are going around to threads from 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 and liking/laugh reacting posts people made about Richmond.

Find it funny they aren't liking any of the prediction threads from the start of 2021 where people said Richmond were cooked though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to laugh at the fact I got a notification from a post I made that was LOL'D at by a Richmond fan from Sep 2019. Check their account and they are going around to threads from 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 and liking/laugh reacting posts people made about Richmond.

Find it funny they aren't liking any of the prediction threads from the start of 2021 where people said Richmond were cooked though...
I got the same from posts in 2017 and 18. How much of a nuffy do you need to be to go digging through posts from 5 years ago 🤪

I got the same from posts in 2017 and 18. How much of a nuffy do you need to be to go digging through posts from 5 years ago 🤪

Deep down, they know their era is finished. Talk about "resetting" with draft picks (who are apparently going to have an instant impact... even though their best pick is 7) and players coming back from injury (though Riewoldt's dropping off, they lost their "heir apparent" in CCJ, and the retirements will bite - as we all know) is just media rubbish.

Let them have their fun - they're not going to find much of it on the field for the next few years.

Deep down, they know their era is finished. Talk about "resetting" with draft picks (who are apparently going to have an instant impact... even though their best pick is 7) and players coming back from injury (though Riewoldt's dropping off, they lost their "heir apparent" in CCJ, and the retirements will bite - as we all know) is just media rubbish.

Let them have their fun - they're not going to find much of it on the field for the next few years.
Saw this post which is pretty accurate. A fit Tigers outfit is the most likely challenger to Demons.
Our biggest recruit will be ... THE TIGER ARMY! Don't discount how much our pressure game ramps up with the noise of the crowd.

Our second biggest recruit will be .... our rucks. People often under rate Soldo because he is not a match winner compared to Dusty, Jack Bolton etc but it is the effect he has on the team that makes him so crucial. He creates play, feeds our stars and nullifies the oppositions midfielders. He provides a target and gives Nank a chance to work around the ground. On his own he's an average player but as a cog in the machine, he makes all the most important parts turn like clockwork.

Our third biggest recruit is ... our stars. Dusty, Cotch, Jack, Lynch, Edwards, Lambert and Balta are hurting from last year after being handicapped from injury. They are desperate to regain the respect and accolades they fought so hard to take in the past. Don't ever under rate pride and our stars will incredibly eager to regain the thrown in 2022.

Our fourth biggest recruit is ... Tarrant. The previous North Melbourne full back, wants success before his career is over. Playing for a laughable and irrelevant club such as the Kangaroos means you are perpetually under rated. I think he will show just how good he is slipping into Astbury's shoes.

Our fifth biggest recruit is .... our existing depth players. Stack, RCD, Ross, Ralphsmith, Martyn and co will never be more motivated to prove themselves to our coaches. They know we are about to bring in a group of hungry, talented draftees who could easily skip past them in the pecking order over the preseason so they know its now or never. This VFL season will never be more hotly contested and will be great for all our second tier players development and our clubs future.

Given all of this, the demise of our great club is definitely premature. Time to clear a space on your wall for the next premiership poster

But don't forget our other '3rd best recruits'

Vlaustuin missed 10 games
Broad missed......8 games
Houli missed.......9 games (I know he's not a recruit but Rioli and Stack effectively are)
Prestia missed.....14 games

Saw this post which is pretty accurate. A fit Tigers outfit is the most likely challenger to Demons.

But don't forget our other '3rd best recruits'

Vlaustuin missed 10 games
Broad missed......8 games
Houli missed.......9 games (I know he's not a recruit but Rioli and Stack effectively are)
Prestia missed.....14 games

I still think the Bulldogs are the clear #2, despite the lop-sided GF result.

For the record, both the Cats and Tigers - if they make finals - are just making up numbers.

On a semi-related note, it's a small note of pride that we don't allow ourselves to tumble the ladder in our poorer years, but it's annoying that the Tigers win 3 out of 4 then collapse to pick up #7 (which we haven't had anything like that since in 15 years).

Giants next year for me. Easily.
Especially if they've got some new fitness staff, or can somewhat fix what causes so many injuries year after year.

I think we're gone. That last round loss against Melbourne was completely soul destroying.
Going to take a while to get over that.
Similar to the Nick Davis loss.

Tigers just not good enough. Port mentally destroyed. Current team is finished now.
Dogs will fall too. GF loss was fairly unmotivating for next year.
Giants, Demons, then big drop to WestCoast and Lions.
Then the rest.

I love the Dogs to make it back to the grand final again. I think they should be certainties for top 4 which will help them out a great deal.
Their team is young and primed.
English with another preseason should improve. 24 years of age now and as we always see with players of his stature, they put it all together at this age.
So much upside from their younger players. Ugle-Hagan, Richards, Weightman, Smith and even Dunkley who had to return from a shoulder reco and did not look the same.

I think we're gone. That last round loss against Melbourne was completely soul destroying.
Going to take a while to get over that.
Similar to the Nick Davis loss.
That wasn't why we were s**t in 2006 but hey if you are saying that Melbourne loss gives us a flag in 2 years time I am happy to take the L.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back