Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

At first I was elated on hearing this news. One of the few surprise retirements you're actually happy about.

Then I heard Brayshaw was taking over. The thought of Brayshaw & BT in tandem, with the misogynistic scab Carey as special comments (an oxymoron I know) makes me shudder.

I want to know what we did to the football gods for them to bestow this punishment upon us.

Saw a failure of the new man of the mark rule.
Daniher took a mark outside 50 and did the "buddy arc" and the umpire never called play on. Meant his opponent just stood there as Daniher had heaps of space to score a goal.

If they are going to make this man on the mark rule work then Daniher, Franklin and Miers have to be called play on when they do their kicking arc.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Cometti was a real loss. Bruce is just awful.

Completely agree.

Never at any point did I enjoy his commentary. Always overdid it. Always gushing with fake sincerity. I like how everyone has conveniently forgotten his single-handed attempts to change the language - any remember his "bouncedown" atrocity that he persisted with for years?

Then from about 10-15 years ago onward his cringeworthiness just went off the charts. First with Judd, to utterly insane levels with Rioli, now it's every star player. Big reason commentators all call star players by their nicknames now (or even worse, their first name) is due to this clown. Watch the 2017 Brownlow and you'll see how bad he was. Martin has never had a tagger try and get inside his jacket the way Bruce did that night.

Couldn't come soon enough.

Honest question: is there a single bit of memorable Bruce footy commentary?
I assume you mean 'good' memorable commentary or iconic. Lots of unfortunately memorable orgasmic growls, tag questions, etc.

If its an iconic call like "Jesaulenko you beauty!" I hope not. Too many callers are angling for one on every call. It's one of the problems with game commentary IMO.

When I watch a game from the naughts, he blended in with the others in the booth better, wasn't overdoing it. Neither was Cometti. But sometime near the end of the decade they both went overboard with their signature shticks.

Completely agree.

Never at any point did I enjoy his commentary. Always overdid it. Always gushing with fake sincerity. I like how everyone has conveniently forgotten his single-handed attempts to change the language - any remember his "bouncedown" atrocity that he persisted with for years?

Then from about 10-15 years ago onward his cringeworthiness just went off the charts. First with Judd, to utterly insane levels with Rioli, now it's every star player. Big reason commentators all call star players by their nicknames now (or even worse, their first name) is due to this clown. Watch the 2017 Brownlow and you'll see how bad he was. Martin has never had a tagger try and get inside his jacket the way Bruce did that night.

Couldn't come soon enough.

Just need to get rid of BT now. I can tolerate the others.

Not one that doesn't contain some sort of homoerotic reference :rainbow:

When I watch a game from the naughts, he blended in with the others in the booth better, wasn't overdoing it. Neither was Cometti. But sometime near the end of the decade they both went overboard with their signature shticks.

Except Commetti didn't do it for as long, wasn't as bad, and stopped it pretty quick once he realised.

Nope.

Important point too. Commentators shouldn't have a memorable moment. They're like umpires - the less you notice them, the better the job they're doing. Part of the problem is they all think they need to make some great call. To me it's not needed and never has been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope.

Important point too. Commentators shouldn't have a memorable moment. They're like umpires - the less you notice them, the better the job they're doing. Part of the problem is they all think they need to make some great call. To me it's not needed and never has been.
You don’t think Richie, Bill or Tony have good memorable moments.. or even Teddy Whitten?
Seems like an over generalization to me.. but hey.. to each their own.
Go Catters

You don’t think Richie, Bill or Tony have good memorable moments.. or even Teddy Whitten?
Go Catters
Benaud made his point with understatement, an admirable example unfortunately ignored by every other TV sporting commentator ever.

Lawry and Whitten allowed themselves to become caricatures, professional buffoons who thereby did their playing careers an immense disservice.

And since all you owe the dead is the truth, I'll say nothing about the execrable Greig.

Benaud made his point with understatement, an admirable example unfortunately ignored by every other TV sporting commentator ever.

Lawry and Whitten allowed themselves to become caricatures, professional buffoons who thereby did their playing careers an immense disservice.

And since all you owe the dead is the truth, I'll say nothing about the execrable Greig.
They all had their own ways.. some more palatable than others.. but in every sport there are colour commentaries for a reason.. right or wrong.
I can appreciate a Rex, a Bill and a Richie.
I can also appreciate Bruce. I’ll take some Jim Maxwell and Allen Mcgilvray.
but when they are gone... they need to go. It’s not about them... it’s about the game and getting the game across IMO.
Go Catters

Who was the clown that went early on the Geelong dynasty is over?

Tim Lane.

I remember one game at Etihad against Carlton there was a free he wanted paid against Milburn for a dangerous tackle that wasn't paid, and he was still whinging about it an hour later. Even Robert Walls was telling him to get over it. Was bizarre.

Tim Lane.

I remember one game at Etihad against Carlton there was a free he wanted paid against Milburn for a dangerous tackle that wasn't paid, and he was still whinging about it an hour later. Even Robert Walls was telling him to get over it. Was bizarre.

Sounds bizarre. What possible issue could a card-carrying Blues tragic have had with Darren Milburn?

:cool:

Go Catters

Occasionally maybe. Memorable calls happen, but they're almost always natural and spontaneous. They weren't consciously trying to create one every second sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back