Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

winty

Jun 8, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree. I remember in the 186pt demolition of Melbourne (the one that got Bailey fired) when Trent West kicked a goal - his tag line was "Go West, young man!" Like wtf are you talking about, sir?
Don't forget his "Smother them in your honey Mots! Smother them in your honey!" after Motlop snapped a goal a few years back.

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I guess its what ever erks one. A lot worse than him imo.
The main issue is he just doesn't have the voice for it. It's by far the worst feature of his commentary.

The much-derided catchphrases are awful too and rightly mocked but they're nowhere near as big a factor as the fact that his voice is painful to listen to. Vocal quality, line delivery and the ability to effectively modulate one's voice appropriately matters far more than the actual content of the speech itself when it comes to commentary. And in that area Russell is easily the worst offender in commentary. It's why he always finishes last or close to last in those annual AFL media polls the Herald Sun does whenever the "who is the most annoying commentator?" question comes up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turbocat

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
The main issue is he just doesn't have the voice for it. It's by far the worst feature of his commentary.

The much-derided catchphrases are awful too and rightly mocked but they're nowhere near as big a factor as the fact that his voice is painful to listen to. Vocal quality, line delivery and the ability to effectively modulate one's voice appropriately matters far more than the actual content of the speech itself when it comes to commentary. And in that area Russell is easily the worst offender in commentary. It's why he always finishes last or close to last in those annual AFL media polls the Herald Sun does whenever the "who is the most annoying commentator?" question comes up.
Its always down to how one sees it. The game in 2009 that Bartel kid the point after the siren was done by a female caller that was poor imo. Russell can anoy like him calling stuff by basketball term like a drop step ... but at time even Hudson calling Geelong gets to me...he has been the voice of some poor losses... like I see it etc. against the swans. BTaylor has his moments as well... its just all taste and tone.

Turbocat

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Is Haw playing for draft picks? Trying to get into those early picks again that got them players like Roughead and Buddy ?

Haw V Collingwood atm would be shut the gates to keep the spectators in.

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Its always down to how one sees it. The game in 2009 that Bartel kid the point after the siren was done by a female caller that was poor imo. Russell can anoy like him calling stuff by basketball term like a drop step ... but at time even Hudson calling Geelong gets to me...he has been the voice of some poor losses... like I see it etc. against the swans. BTaylor has his moments as well... its just all taste and tone.
Kelli Underwood was the one who called the Bartel point and yeah, I agree, she kind of fluffed her lines on that one. Not a great call.

Hudson's call of the Nick Davis goal was brilliant though. Heartbreaking for us Cats fans of course, and I hate everything about the actual game itself, but still, objectively speaking he elevated the moment as a piece of theatre. The pitch and intonation was perfect.

Down at K Park

Brownlow Medallist
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I had a feeling pies would lose. You could just sense it, and now the heat will come on nafan. He’s just a few weeks away from being sacked imo.

Remove this Banner Ad