Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i get the intent of what hes saying... ( that with soft caps and support at club level weakening its going to be harder to properly support those coming to the club that need it) - and id say's that 100% correct.

but the execution was really not good.

not good at all.

GO Catters
But he is just being honest and saying what's happening. All other clubs will be the same.
He is not the problem here. He is letting us know there is a problem.

But he is just being honest and saying what's happening. All other clubs will be the same.
He is not the problem here. He is letting us know there is a problem.
And im agreeing there is a problem and he's correct.

But the way he's phrased that will draw all kinds of outcry - he could have done it better and made the exact same point without bringing private schools and thus classes into it.

And there are plenty of ****ed up private school kids.

GO Catters

But the way he's phrased that will draw all kinds of outcry - he could have done it better and made the exact same point without bringing private schools and thus classes into it.

And there are plenty of f’ed up private school kids.

GO Catters

I'd suggest that coming from a family situation where mum & dad are still married doesn't protect you from f'ing up also or guarantee there'll be no issues after drafting the kid

Looking for safer bets in draft prospects and potentially even focusing more on local options where there's not necessarily the "go-home" factor to deal with is likely to be high on the agenda for all clubs

The main problem I see with what Simpson said is as you put it "the way he's phrased it" and not in how the club is thinking about future prospects

And there are plenty of f’ed up private school kids.

GO Catters
Why?? That's how it is and what the clubs are going to do.
Lying won't fix anything.

Why?? That's how it is and what the clubs are going to do.
Lying won't fix anything.
so you are saying that there a no effed up kids from married parents and private schools.

You cant be serious.

Go Catters

I'd suggest that coming from a family situation where mum & dad are still married doesn't protect you from f'ing up also or guarantee there'll be no issues after drafting the kid

Looking for safer bets in draft prospects and potentially even focusing more on local options where there's not necessarily the "go-home" factor to deal with is likely to be high on the agenda for all clubs

The main problem I see with what Simpson said is as you put it "the way he's phrased it" and not in how the club is thinking about future prospects

I can't quite work out exactly how and when society became so precious and offended about every uttered / written word.

We've become such delicate and sensitive little flowers.

Our great/grandparents who went through genuinely tough times like wars, concentration camps and the Depression must be lost with our first world problems.

I agree with your first paragraph.
But it's just not how the AFL works.
Already for years the recruiters have wanted to meet your family and judge you on it.
Already the overwhelming majority of kids come from private schools.
He is preety much saying he is sticking to the norm.

so you are saying that there a no effed up kids from married parents and private schools.

You cant be serious.

Go Catters
What the f**k are you on about?
I said he was being honest about what his club is going to do. It's how the AFL is.
Why do want him to lie? What problem does that solve?
Let's just keep the system for the elite because private school kids can be f**ked up too?
Yeah that's fair.

I can't quite work out exactly how and when society became so precious and offended about every uttered / written word.

Our great/grandparents who went through genuinely tough times like wars, concentration camps and the Depression must be lost with our first world problems.
Tough times create tough people. Soft times create soft people. Many of these sensitive petals have grown up and never experienced true hardship. I’d hate to see what would happen to these people if we were ever in a real war. Criticising the enemy on twitter won’t save them.

Tough times create tough people. Soft times create soft people. Many of these sensitive petals have grown up and never experienced true hardship. I’d hate to see what would happen to these people if we were ever in a real war. Criticising the enemy on twitter won’t save them.

Many don't understand the genuine meaning of 'tough' times.

Some equate that to losing their internet connection.

What the f**k are you on about?
I said he was being honest about what his club is going to do. It's how the AFL is.- why do want him to lie? What problem does that solve?
Let's just keep the system for the elite because private school kids can be f**ked up too?
Yeah that's fair.
please direct me to anywhere where ive asserted I want him to lie or that Ive suggested that the system should be kept for the elite kids lol

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You literally just said you didn't want him to bring private schools and classes into it.
It's about 5 or 6 posts up.

Its not a class thing. The point is ****ed up kids come from everywhere. Rich and poor, private and public. Whatever spun you up so hard ..wow.

Sticking to drafting private school kids aint gonna alleviate the need for support when they get to the clubs. Kids with issues come from all places.

Go Catters

Not sure anyone is actually offended by what he said but rather questioning the way he spoke/words he chose - not sure there really was a need to specify looking at kids where mum & dad are still married or they went to private school as it somehow makes them a safer choice

Why not just say, "when looking at draft prospects we'll be more inclined to focus on those who have solid backgrounds, come from good families and shown themselves to have been of good character on & off the field" - that way your not directly or indirectly making implications about those from different specific backgrounds

Mum & dad can be divorced, the kid can go to public school and still not be much of a hassle off field

Its not a class thing. The point is f’ed up kids come from everywhere. Rich and poor, private and public. Whatever spun you up so hard ..wow.

Sticking to drafting private school kids aint gonna alleviate the need for support when they get to the clubs. Kids with issues come from all places.

Go Catters
It's not a class thing? Clubs want to stick to drafting private school kids. Which they already do anyway.
It could not be more of a class thing.
It's a problem IMO. He admitting it's a problem helps that problem far more than sugarcoating it.

Not sure anyone is actually offended by what he said but rather questioning the way he spoke/words he chose - not sure there really was a need to specify looking at kids where mum & dad are still married or they went to private school as it somehow makes them a safer choice

Why not just say, "when looking at draft prospects we'll be more inclined to focus on those who have solid backgrounds, come from good families and shown themselves to have been of good character on & off the field" - that way your not directly or indirectly making implications about those from different specific backgrounds

Mum & dad can be divorced, the kid can go to public school and still not be much of a hassle off field
Why????????? Why do you want him to say that?
It's not true!
They ARE looking at kids with married parents
They ARE looking at kids from private schools.
Why do you want people to lie to you lol

It's not a class thing? Clubs want to stick to drafting private school kids. Which they already do anyway.
It could not be more of a class thing.
It's a problem IMO. He admitting it's a problem helps that problem far more than sugarcoating it.
im just gonna back away slowly and not make eye contact.... enjoy this topic some more... please. This is going in circles. Have a great time.

Go Catters

I agree with your first paragraph.
But it's just not how the AFL works.
Already for years the recruiters have wanted to meet your family and judge you on it.
Already the overwhelming majority of kids come from private schools.
He is preety much saying he is sticking to the norm.
But that's because private schools now recruit the best underage footy players on scholarships. Even if the stereotype that middle or upper class kids were psychologically safer bets (and it's clearly not), linking that to private schools doesn't make much sense when most private school players are there because they're good at footy rather than their parents being wealthy.

Something like Mitchel saying he’s ready whenever to coach which I could live with as coda for f’off Clarko you old bugger.
I don't think a guy who has been in the AFL 20 years is going to do that. I get people being suspicious of journos and many drops have been lost between the cup and the lip, but if Wilson is prepared to go public with it she must be pretty confident in her sources.

But that's because private schools now recruit the best underage footy players on scholarships. Even if the stereotype that middle or upper class kids were psychologically safer bets (and it's clearly not), linking that to private schools doesn't make much sense when most private school players are there because they're good at footy rather than their parents being wealthy.
That is true. They do. But those who don't get scholarships their parents are forced to send their kids to private schools to get drafted. If they can afford it.
It happened to my mate. His Dad had to send him to a school in Ballarat.
The recruiters could never meet his Mum and one of his sisters.

im just gonna back away slowly and not make eye contact.... enjoy this topic some more... please. This is going in circles. Have a great time.

Go Catters
You need to word that more like "I'm really enjoying this discussion. But an urgent emergency has just come up and I'm extremely devastated I can't continue it more"
Then I'd feel good and think there is no problem.

I’ve been to both private and public schools …the most ****ed up kids I have meet are the private school kids from a privileged background

make of that what you will

you’d think WCE would be making their public comments to be more inclusive more than anything else…very poor public comments imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back