Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i respect the playing groups move to do this.

Makes the chasm between what the dog and pony show of the other day and what should have been said even wider however IMO.

GO Catters
Took quite some courage. Places McGuire under enormous pressure. Doubt it's sufficient to move him on though cos he has many powerful mates in the AFL.Taken quite some lustre off Bucks too.

Found this interesting from one of the crows social media platforms....Ex Cats development coach Rahilly one of the positives as a collective at Adelaide so far. Much maligned in his time by supporters here at the cats as part of the coaching group. 20210205_195559.jpeg

Last edited:

To be honest, they probably realised sponsorships (and therefore some money in their pockets) might have been at stake.
Just the like the club hierarchy, the players only put this out after this was blown up.

It’s such lip service. Means zero until it’s displayed as an action outside the limelight.

As a collective they take responsibility, allowing those who did the damage and those who egged it on, to hide their complicity.

Just the like the club hierarchy, the players only put this out after this was blown up.

It’s such lip service. Means zero until it’s displayed as an action outside the limelight.

As a collective they take responsibility, allowing those who did the damage and those who egged it on, to hide their complicity.

TBH it will mean more when an individual player or coach speaks out

The right thing for any leader caught up in this, who has personally behaved in a manner that has highlighted the comfortable racism that exists at their club, would be to resign immediately. However, I honestly believe that Eddie’s ego is too big to do this. It would be shameful to have to leave with this as the main reason. It would follow him forever. He wants to be remembered for the positive change he brought, not for the poisoned culture he presided over. That’s why he was going on about being proud. He was trying to get ahead of it all and reinvent the situation as something where he would leave having brought more positive change to the culture. He may have been able to do this, but he really is part of the problem and to keep him on is to give him a free pass.

Last edited:

The right thing for any leader caught up in this, who has personally behaved in a manner that has highlighted the comfortable racism that exists at their club, would be to resign immediately. However, I honestly believe that Eddie’s ego is too big to do this. It would be shameful to have to leave with this as the main reason. It would follow him forever. He wants to be remembered for the positive change he brought, not for the poisoned culture he presided over. That’s why he was going on about being proud. He was trying to get ahead of it all and reinvent the situation as something where he would leave having brought more positive change to the culture. He may have been able to do this, but he really is part of the problem and to keep him on is to give him a free pass.
Yeah he’s getting away with it again. Guy is teflon. Too many of his powerful mates to cover for him. Most journos too scared to really go after him.

Lots of them are newer players with have no personal responsibility and may not know who "did the damage" .

Guess they were nice enough to offer him the opportunity to at least publically look like this was his decision rather than just giving him the flick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One small step for Maguire...

One giant leap for Australian Rules Football and sporting clubs in general.

This sets a precedent for administrators to have procedures and structures in place to deal with instances of apparent racism. That is not a bad thing. And there is no excuse now for not having those procedures in place, if in fact they are not there already.

Last edited:
Guess they were nice enough to offer him the opportunity to at least publicly look like this was his decision rather than just giving him the flick.

It's certainly interesting. I fully expected him to just ride it out, as he has done so many times before. If he was truly blasted out of the role by a club that was sick to death of him (which is probably hinted at in the statement from the 'rest of the club' last week), then today's act does not bring him any particular credit.

However, if he has reflected on matters and decided that both the issue at hand and the Collingwood Football Club will be better off for having him removed as a distraction, I will admit to some admiration for him in having now shown the courage to step aside.

Even though Eddie shits me now it's a bit sad to see him go out like this. Did a hell of a lot for that club.
But it's time to go.

Good post.....he did a hell of a lot for the Pies. ..but as you say, it was time to step aside.

Even though Eddie shits me now it's a bit sad to see him go out like this. Did a hell of a lot for that club.
But it's time to go.
It dragged on way too long though. All he has done has been tarnished, by the last 2 years of him trying to spin bad things for the club as positives. Or making up utter s**t to divert attention away ala the treloar trade week debacle. Blaming his wife, and the whole “no other players like him” shtick. It was just getting ridiculous.

But that’s what happens when you have so much power, and everyone around you is too scared to say anything. It goes to your head and you think you can get away with anything. It finally caught up with him.

It's certainly interesting. I fully expected him to just ride it out, as he has done so many times before. If he was truly blasted out of the role by a club that was sick to death of him (which is probably hinted at in the statement from the 'rest of the club' last week), then today's act does not bring him any particular credit.

However, if he has reflected on matters and decided that both the issue at hand and the Collingwood Football Club will be better off for having him removed as a distraction, I will admit to some admiration for him in having now shown the courage to step aside.
AFL clubs will be hoping Eddie doesn't write an AFL tell all, he's the tip of the iceberg.

Probably only appropriate place to post this opinion. That izak rankine is going to be the best player in the AFL and a generational player of AFL once he builds a tank big enough to be a full time midfielder. Absolute freak of a player. Reminds me of Albert junior when he was a flanker early on.

Probably only appropriate place to post this opinion. That izak rankine is going to be the best player in the AFL and a generational player of AFL once he builds a tank big enough to be a full time midfielder. Absolute freak of a player. Reminds me of Albert junior when he was a flanker early on.

Yeah albert jnr was a gun. Who did he play for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back