Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwayne Russell is the worst mainstream commentator I've ever heard for any sport at all, let alone just AFL. Absolutely awful.
Agree. I remember in the 186pt demolition of Melbourne (the one that got Bailey fired) when Trent West kicked a goal - his tag line was "Go West, young man!" Like wtf are you talking about, sir?

Agree. I remember in the 186pt demolition of Melbourne (the one that got Bailey fired) when Trent West kicked a goal - his tag line was "Go West, young man!" Like wtf are you talking about, sir?

He must have watched a documentary on Manifest Destiny or something and thought the reference made him sound intelligent. Instead it just made him sound like a blithering idiot because the way he crowbarred it in made absolutely no sense.

Smh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget his "Smother them in your honey Mots! Smother them in your honey!" after Motlop snapped a goal a few years back.

Lol Hawfs. 5 goals to zip.
Yes!
Oh wait only against the Saints.. Who could choke at any moment.

tenor.gif

I guess its what ever erks one. A lot worse than him imo.

The main issue is he just doesn't have the voice for it. It's by far the worst feature of his commentary.

The much-derided catchphrases are awful too and rightly mocked but they're nowhere near as big a factor as the fact that his voice is painful to listen to. Vocal quality, line delivery and the ability to effectively modulate one's voice appropriately matters far more than the actual content of the speech itself when it comes to commentary. And in that area Russell is easily the worst offender in commentary. It's why he always finishes last or close to last in those annual AFL media polls the Herald Sun does whenever the "who is the most annoying commentator?" question comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back