Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main issue is he just doesn't have the voice for it. It's by far the worst feature of his commentary.

The much-derided catchphrases are awful too and rightly mocked but they're nowhere near as big a factor as the fact that his voice is painful to listen to. Vocal quality, line delivery and the ability to effectively modulate one's voice appropriately matters far more than the actual content of the speech itself when it comes to commentary. And in that area Russell is easily the worst offender in commentary. It's why he always finishes last or close to last in those annual AFL media polls the Herald Sun does whenever the "who is the most annoying commentator?" question comes up.

Its always down to how one sees it. The game in 2009 that Bartel kid the point after the siren was done by a female caller that was poor imo. Russell can anoy like him calling stuff by basketball term like a drop step ... but at time even Hudson calling Geelong gets to me...he has been the voice of some poor losses... like I see it etc. against the swans. BTaylor has his moments as well... its just all taste and tone.

View attachment 1116102

Hack mercenary recruits in red.
Draftees in blue.

Getting carried quite poorly by the hacks they've traded in.
Worpel is a crab.

Is Worpel playing on Zak Jones? Jones has 24 touches already, and there's still 3 or so minutes to go until half time.

e58e727b-c86f-40c3-84f1-af631b67b1ea-jpeg.1116013

Can't decide who this is more like today. Eddie or Jeff.

Its always down to how one sees it. The game in 2009 that Bartel kid the point after the siren was done by a female caller that was poor imo. Russell can anoy like him calling stuff by basketball term like a drop step ... but at time even Hudson calling Geelong gets to me...he has been the voice of some poor losses... like I see it etc. against the swans. BTaylor has his moments as well... its just all taste and tone.

Kelli Underwood was the one who called the Bartel point and yeah, I agree, she kind of fluffed her lines on that one. Not a great call.

Hudson's call of the Nick Davis goal was brilliant though. Heartbreaking for us Cats fans of course, and I hate everything about the actual game itself, but still, objectively speaking he elevated the moment as a piece of theatre. The pitch and intonation was perfect.

Can I take it to mean that the red is bad
Well they are witches hats. The whole team hat treatment doesn't come out lightly on fanfooty. Reserved only for genuine insipid performances.

Kelli Underwood was the one who called the Bartel point and yeah, I agree, she kind of fluffed her lines on that one. Not a great call.

Hudson's call of the Nick Davis goal was brilliant though. Heartbreaking for us Cats fans of course, and I hate everything about the actual game itself, but still, objectively speaking he elevated the moment as a piece of theatre. The pitch and intonation was perfect.
Still too soon.
Someone ban this man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had to laugh. They were talking to a Pies supporter outside the 'G on Nine News, and in the background there was a kid in a Carlton t-shirt waving a Gold Coast scarf around. :D

Had to laugh. They were talking to a Pies supporter outside the 'G on Nine News, and in the background there was a kid in a Carlton t-shirt waving a Gold Coast scarf around. :D
Nice of them to talk to Jesus. Maybe he can coach the pies.

Well they are witches hats. The whole team hat treatment doesn't come out lightly on fanfooty. Reserved only for genuine insipid performances.
Cheers - I was looking at it on a small screen and it was hard to see them clearly

I don't look at fanfooty often enough and should look at it more

Which only make it worse for me.. the only thing that tempers it ..is we know what happens down the track

'I see it but I don't believe it'. Spoken like a true Geelong supporter.

Agree. I remember in the 186pt demolition of Melbourne (the one that got Bailey fired) when Trent West kicked a goal - his tag line was "Go West, young man!" Like wtf are you talking about, sir?

There was a worse one in the same game. Watts kicks an absolutely regulation goal halfway through the third quarter - the margin is around 140 points - and Russell’s description?

“That’s a work of art”.

Absolute ass clown.

Was looking over our 1992 season. Our run of games between Round 6-9 was completely insane.

Round 6: Geelong 25.25 (175) def. Fitzroy 11.11 (77)
Round 7: Geelong 37.17 (239) def. Brisbane (75)
Round 8: Geelong 32.18 (210) def. Adelaide (87)
Round 9: Geelong 23.13 (181) def. Essendon 17.22 (124)

Unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back