Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia is one of the world leaders in our handling of covid. No country is without flaws in how they've dealt with it but overall our leaders have done infinitely better than most of their rivals around the globe.
quoted for accuracy

GO Catters

Oh what a shame. You are over it are you?
Beyond frustrated are you?

Take a good hard look at yourself and now think of the rest of the world who are still wearing face masks and losing friends or loved ones from this disease.
You are cracking the sads because someone you know can't attend a sporting event!

Australia is one of the few countries who managed this epidemic well. Our economy may never be the same again for it but look at what this new strain of the covid is doing to countries right now. We should be thankful we can even allow 25k-50k into sporting events.
I lost a loved one to this disease because the Vic state government were softcocks on a BLM protest and two weeks later we had the second wave.
So go forth and multiply Robert. Like seriously GAGF.

So yeah I am bloody over it

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Australia is one of the world leaders in our handling of covid. No country is without flaws in how they've dealt with it but overall our leaders have done infinitely better than most of their rivals around the globe.
We're a wealthy country, on an island with a very small population.
Has nothing to do with leaders.

Again, you make it personal.
Sorry, clearly an emotive topic for me.
I am sorry you lost a loved one. Personally, have not experienced that myself. I literally have an ice drug addict in my house who still believes this whole pandemic is manufactured and deliberately deployed by governments around the world. The same people who believed the twin towers were a deliberate government attack.
Thank your lucky stars, yes cancer was deemed the predominant COD, but was in remission so the coroner declared contracting Covid as a significant contributory factor and it just pisses me off.
Everyone is over it.
You aren't the only one. I think life is pretty much back to normal as we speak and that we should be very thankful.
The times when we had 8pm curfew's and no driving beyond 5km radius are long behind us. Australia achieved what it had set out to achieve.

Now we have to ensure returning travelers from overseas are managed correctly.
In a group PM with two people on here. Both in emergency services, and believe you me they are both fed up with it all as well.
That's where I differ. The answer is simple enough. Return travellers only resume once the population (or a high % of it) is vaccinated. We are a secluded island, use it to our advantage.

No more of these mini-breakouts from people coming home.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Our leaders have advantages other countries do not. One being that we're quite isolated, so it's pretty easy to close down the borders. Also a small number of densely-populated cities and a more docile, passive population than in other countries. Victoria only didn't lead to disaster because draconian lockdown measures were enacted unlike seen in most other countries (and only in those hit much harder), and while that was effective at stopping it, the economic and societal tolls were enormous, and it would not have worked were the population of Victoria larger, more sparsely distributed and less compliant. Take the US as an example of the alternative when these parameters are flipped.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Again, you make it personal.
I am sorry you lost a loved one. Personally, have not experienced that myself. I literally have an ice drug addict in my house who still believes this whole pandemic is manufactured and deliberately deployed by governments around the world. The same people who believed the twin towers were a deliberate government attack.

Everyone is over it.
You aren't the only one. I think life is pretty much back to normal as we speak and that we should be very thankful.
The times when we had 8pm curfew's and no driving beyond 5km radius are long behind us. Australia achieved what it had set out to achieve.

Now we have to ensure returning travelers from overseas are managed correctly.

Yep.. we have all been affected somehow , and are all over it

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong

Both variables matter. Obviously the fact that we're an island with a small population is a key factor, no one is suggesting otherwise. That said, leadership does matter, this pandemic has proven that.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

Old mate Scomo was following Boris Johnson and Trumps lead with their ambivalent attitude at the start. He was just lucky we are far enough away he could see the s**t hit the fan overseas and was able to change tact before it was too late

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Our leaders have advantages other countries do not. One being that we're quite isolated, so it's pretty easy to close down the borders. Also a small number of densely-populated cities and a more docile, passive population than in other countries. Victoria only didn't lead to disaster because draconian lockdown measures were enacted unlike seen in most other countries (and only in those hit much harder), and while that was effective at stopping it, the economic and societal tolls were enormous, and it would not have worked were the population of Victoria larger, more sparsely distributed and less compliant. Take the US as an example of the alternative when these parameters are flipped.

Again, I'm not disagreeing that our leaders didn't have advantages that leaders of other countries did not. Doesn't mean that their handling of covid hasn't been superior to others. It's possible for two things to be true at once.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Stop talking sense and praise the leaders.

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Old mate Scomo was following Boris Johnson and Trumps lead with their ambivalent attitude at the start. He was just lucky we are far enough away he could see the sh*t hit the fan overseas and was able to change tact before it was too late

I'm no ScoMo fan but this is completely incorrect. At no point was he peddling anything as batshit as Trump's covid takes.

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Stop talking sense and praise the leaders.

Sorry, just trying to get my head around this. Are you suggesting that leadership is completely irrelevant? Or that the different policy approaches pursued, for example, by Boris Johnson in England vs. Moon Jae-in in South Korea had no material effect on the outcomes within their respective countries?

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorry, just trying to get my head around this. Are you suggesting that leadership is completely irrelevant? Or that the different policy approaches pursued, for example, by Boris Johnson in England vs. Moon Jae-in in South Korea had no material effect on the outcomes within their respective countries?
Once again we're in a wealthy country on an island with a spread out population.
New Zealand or Iceland would be the only countries that you could come close to comparing us too.
What did they do? Yeah increasing the dole etc was a good thing.
But should've have been done years ago.
NSW got their hotel quarantine right. But I expect well paid leaders to do their job at least half competently.

Last edited:
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm no ScoMo fan but this is completely incorrect. At no point was he peddling anything as batshit as Trump's covid takes.

He wasn't as extreme as Trump obviously but he was following their lead with the hubris around attending the Cronulla game. He should have acted a lot sooner based on what was happening in Italy. He was just lucky he had the time to change his tune and wasn't already out of control when he did.

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Once again we're in a wealthy country on an island with a spread out population.
New Zealand or Iceland would be the only countries that you could come close to comparing us too.
What did they do? Yeah increasing the dole etc was a good thing.
But should've have been done years ago.
NSW got their hotel quarantine right. But I expect well paid leaders to do their job at least half competently.
But then there was the Ruby Princess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back