Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2022, part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the big issue - when does AFL clubs being responsible for player welfare turn into something 'bad'. At the end of the day the only clear fact is that each club wants their players to be the best they can because it serves their interest. If a partner is causing problems and its having a knock on effect on a players performance then its clear they are getting involved because they believe its not in the players best interest for their career progression. This is where things become murkey... Should clubs be telling these young kids who they can and can't hang around with? Should they be suggesting they move in with family A because it will provide them with a more 'stable' environment for their football career or should they shutup and let the player choose to live with whoever they want even if its clearly having a negative impact on their performance? Very difficult to manage and each player will likely have a different view on it and how its helped or hindered them.
The club officials shouldn’t be getting involved in offering life advice regarding relationships and instead focus on supporting the players in their career rather than giving out stupid life advice like dumping their partner and getting abortions. That’s why clubs have their own support networks and welfare professionals that they can talk to to work through those relationship matters should the want to.

Last edited:
Interesting to see that one of the guys at the centre of these allegations: Jason Burt (Hawthorn's manager of player welfare & development) is actually a Geelong boy. I didn't know who he was. I had to google his name. He went to Geelong High School from 1981-1988 and got his arts degree at Deakin Uni. He later taught at Geelong College for 6 years prior to joining Hawthorn.
This has absolutely no relevance at all.
Bizarre to make such a stupid comment.

Interesting to see that one of the guys at the centre of these allegations: Jason Burt (Hawthorn's manager of player welfare & development) is actually a Geelong boy. I didn't know who he was. I had to google his name. He went to Geelong High School from 1981-1988 and got his arts degree at Deakin Uni. He later taught at Geelong College for 6 years prior to joining Hawthorn.

He hasn't had the chance to present his side of the story, but I would be surprised if he was still employed by the club next year. Looks like his career as an AFL staffer could be done. Who knows? He might end up back in Geelong as a teacher, educating the bright young minds of Sleepy Hollow.
Any opportunity to throw mud at the Cats, eh? Nice one. This is probably the most dishonest, classless and unlettered take anybody on this forum has had about the whole ordeal. Very fitting for a Hawks supporter. Literally shaking my head at this level of stupidity.

Any opportunity to throw mud at the Cats, eh? Nice one. This is probably the most dishonest, classless and unlettered take anybody on this forum has had about the whole ordeal. Very fitting for a Hawks supporter. Literally shaking my head at this level of stupidity.

I read it a few times, and wasn't sure what to make of it, because my primary thought was 'surely not?! '

So I didn't respond, out of disbelief, to what seems an obvious, but tasteless, dig.

Got to say virtually every other post about the subject on all the Hawthorn, Brisbane and North boards have been very classy indeed.

All clubs have skeletons.

Having said that the good thing about Geelong is that the club is well run and has a great culture.

Players want to come because of this and also the relaxed environment.

Difficult to point the finger at other clubs as who knows what the future holds.
It appears to be much less likely that Geelong will have its reputation tarnished as itis a GREAT club

Whilst I hope this is not the case, im sure that every club that looks back will have degrees of racism and discrimination littering its past.
I"m sure we are no different. Id be very wary of throwing stones in glass houses about now.

This s**t needs to end and end now.

GO Catters
Yes - agree. I would be shocked if any of it was as recent as the Hawks though.

The use of the word historic by AFL and Hawthorn when describing the allegations is starting to piss me off

Same poster has stirred sh*t on the North board by telling them that Clarkson would prove to be a terrible coach and to 'stop playing the victim and be thankful'.
Yep. I told them North had dodged a bullet with the news coming out now and not next season with Clarkson entrenched as their coach. I also believe Clarkson was very ordinary as coach in his final few seasons at Hawthorn and made a whole host of poor personnel decisions. There was every chance he was going to repeat the same flawed strategy at North. e.g signing Brad Hill and other rejects & cast-offs.

They're all acting like "woe is us" over on the North board. But I think it would've been far far worse for the NMFC if these revelations had been made public once Clarkson had taken over running their club and had instilled his game-plan, brought in his preferred assistants, and traded in a bunch of hacks

Silver linings, etc...

But try telling them that. :rolleyes:

He hasn't had the chance to present his side of the story, but I would be surprised if he was still employed by the club next year. Looks like his career as an AFL staffer could be done. Who knows? He might end up back in Geelong as a teacher, educating the bright young minds of Sleepy Hollow.
The delusion & smugness of Hawthorn supporters will never cease to amaze me. It's such a tragic set of circumstances yet there will always be Hawthorn supporters trying to turn a blind eye.

IF the media reports are true, once the investigations are complete the penalties received by Essendon for the drugs saga & Carlton for their salary cap breaches should be considered light in comparison to what Hawthorn should receive. Obviously players cannot & should not be suspended, but the highest level of sanctions should be applied to the club and all involved, even if it cripples the club for 25 years. Based on what has been said in the reports lives have been completely destroyed.

In every way shape & form the Geelong Football Club is head and shoulders above this rabble. I don't hate Hawthorn, they're simply an irrelevant organisation & I trust their supporters are embarrassed to be associated with them.

Win or lose on Saturday, we can always be proud of our club.

Yep. I told them North had dodged a bullet with the news coming out now and not next season with Clarkson entrenched as their coach. I also believe Clarkson was very ordinary as coach in his final few seasons at Hawthorn and made a whole host of poor personnel decisions. There was every chance he was going to repeat the same flawed strategy at North. e.g signing Brad Hill and other rejects & cast-offs.

They're all acting like "woe is us" over on the North board. But I think it would've been far far worse for the NMFC if these revelations had been made public once Clarkson had taken over running their club and had instilled his game-plan, brought in his preferred assistants, and traded in a bunch of hacks

Silver linings, etc...

But try telling them that. :rolleyes:
Cool...

Your contributions to date have been unnecessary & rather meh, and after the now deleted comment I can confirm you've outstayed your welcome on the Geelong board - further comments from you aren't required

So run along back to the place you call home, don't want to see your name popping up here again

Cool...

Your contributions to date have been unnecessary & rather meh, and after the note deleted comment I can confirm you've outstayed your welcome on the Geelong board - further comments from you aren't required

So run along back to the place you call home, don't want to see your name popping up here again
This is actually the only club board I ever read or post on.

This is "home". I've always been a respectful poster, even when people here are rude to me

Pretty hard to take all this latest news from Hawkland. Not my finest hour, I admit. Trying to cope... :(

Point taken about the last deleted post. I mean, there was factual content in there which adds a bit more nuance to the slanted, one-way story everyone has been reading & hearing thus far. But I shouldn't have posted that. You were right to delete it.

Probably best if I log off Big Footy for a few weeks... :thumbsu:

Given that Eddie Betts has now come forward to ask all clubs to investigate their past failings and mistreatments of indigenous players, I would hope that Geelong’s own experience with Ezra Bray was the lightbulb moment that indicated they needed to do more to support vulnerable young men suddenly exposed to the traps that come with playing AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one season with us that Doug Wade didn’t win the club leading goalkicker award in the 60’s, who won?

Was disappointing hearing Eddie last night on 360.

He was at a public pool with his baby in hands with other 2 kids .

2 older woman complain to the life guard .
Thier grand kid was feeling uncomfortable...

Eddie had to leave ...😡.

FFS .
If that's how it happened, name and shame the pool.

Edited for accuracy. Can't blame the proprietor for client racism

I blame both

It's one thing for a couple to make a complaint, telling someone at the establishment that Person X (who's with their own kids) is making their grandchild uncomfortable

But to then act on that complaint, and ask that person to leave for no reason other than their race due to someone being uncomfortable, is no better than those making the complaint in the first place

Was disappointing hearing Eddie last night on 360.

He was at a public pool with his baby in hands with other 2 kids .

2 older woman complain to the life guard .
Thier grand kid was feeling uncomfortable...

Eddie had to leave ....

FFS .

It's close to the most horrible thing a human being can do.

The whole thing is just disgusting. Judgement of anyone else purely based on the colour of their skin, or feeling superior to another because you just happen to carry a lighter shade.

Whateley summed it up perfectly...it would be out of place in the 1970s...it's 2022 ffs.

I blame both

It's one thing for a couple to make a complaint, telling someone at the establishment that Person X (who's with their own kids) is making their grandchild uncomfortable

But to then act on that complaint, and ask that person to leave for no reason other than their race due to someone being uncomfortable, is no better than those making the complaint in the first place

What they teaching thier grand kid ...

Wrong on all levels .

I've spent a lot of time dealing with the public throughout my working life, and if anybody ever came up to me in my place of work and told me they were made uncomfortable by the presence of a black person, I'd strongly suggest that they leave and go see a psychologist to deal with their problem.

I've spent a lot of time dealing with the public throughout my working life, and if anybody ever came up to me in my place of work and told me they were made uncomfortable by the presence of a black person, I'd strongly suggest that they leave and go see a psychologist to deal with their problem.
I doubt that would had been the words used to “justify” why they felt uncomfortable…not condoning it at all but racist assholes are rarely that overt with their racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back