Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2022, part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
who would you sign instead?
OK, for shits & Giggles James Hird

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

What happened?
Nortfh smashed tiggies at home to dump them in straight sets, meaning they locked their fans out and didn't get a competitive advantage.

Makes it disappointing we wasted our dominance at home against the Kangas, because just as they were in the AFL the Tiggies were a walk over and gave whoever played them an easy spot in the PF.

This Brownlow Medal alleged betting scandal - under police investigation

Id be very interested if any poster would know Sam Menengola stats in the Round 13 match between West Coast and Geelong

The coaches votes were

9 Mark Blicavs

6 Cam Guthrie

6 Tyson Stengle

4 Tom Barass

3 Elliot Yeo

2 Joel Selwood

But the Brownlow votes for that game were

3 Cam Guthrie

2 Sam Menengola

1 Tyson Stengle

Like i say - id be interested in Menengola stats for that game

Goggin Our Best

Round 14 v WCE, Menegola had 20 disposals, 15 kicks and 5 handballs, 7 marks and 2 goals.

The 7 marks and 2 goals were season highs for Sam.

Thats for putting up those numbers up mate

They are decent stats- plus the 2 goals and he is a beautiful kick - and with umpires i think its fair to say they are biased towards midfielders when giving their Brownlow Votes

So even though he didnt get a coaches vote - i can see with those stats and how he plays and the position he plays- he was awarded Brownlow votes - so all above aboard and all good

However the Brownlow Medal betting on the voting per round - with Blicavs not getting a Brownlow vote for that game ( even though he got 9 coaches votes ) and with Menegola being the middle pin - in those Brownlow votes ( no coaches votes) - then selecting those Brownlow votes in order from a betting perspective then it would be lucrative odds

Not suggesting it has happened at all - but if someone was given inside info on those votes - and they had a real lash at it - they would have made an absolute killing - in fact they would still be counting their winnings today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many thought this would have belonged to Jed?

I would think Kane Tenace or Tommy Ruggles would have Jed beat.

I actually thought Franklin or Daniher or Kingsley would have that record though. Shots at goal would be an easy way to shank a kick out on the full.

I would think Kane Tenace or Tommy Ruggles would have Jed beat.

I actually thought Franklin or Daniher or Kingsley would have that record though. Shots at goal would be an easy way to shank a kick out on the full.

Stewart Lord would have this "achievement" wrapped up..by a long way...

..of course in those days there was no penalty for out of bounds on the full, or deliberate.

McKenna joins the Lions. Great for them, they've really loaded up for 2023. They have a very good chance if they can get what's in-between their ears right.

I look forward to giving them another PF drubbing.
Really comfortable with how much they're getting pumped up by all and sundry at this point. Will be great if their playing group gets invested in it as well.

For mine, they're still vulnerable down back and pretty erratic up front. And I echo the sentiment expressed here earlier that they're not brilliantly coached, either. Talent only takes you so far. And the way we dismantled them in the PF looked to me to be a pretty savage indictment on their current game style. Still concede far too many big scores far too often to be a solid chance in the cauldron of supercharged finals footy, I believe.

So unless there's some movement in how they set up to play their game as well, I'm not sure they're destined to rise to the top in the immediate future. Also seems to have been forgotten that they were one epic brain-fade by the entire Tigers defensive unit away from being eliminated from the finals on their home ground yet again. Would have been 1-6 in finals over the Fagan era, having played six of those seven games at the Gabba.

Suffice to say, I'm not a believer just yet.

Really comfortable with how much they're getting pumped up by all and sundry at this point. Will be great if their playing group gets invested in it as well.

For mine, they're still vulnerable down back and pretty erratic up front. And I echo the sentiment expressed here earlier that they're not brilliantly coached, either. Talent only takes you so far. And the way we dismantled them in the PF looked to me to be a pretty savage indictment on their current game style. Still concede far too many big scores far too often to be a solid chance in the cauldron of supercharged finals footy, I believe.

So unless there's some movement in how they set up to play their game as well, I'm not sure they're destined to rise to the top in the immediate future. Also seems to have been forgotten that they were one epic brain-fade by the entire Tigers defensive unit away from being eliminated from the finals on their home ground yet again. Would have been 1-6 in finals over the Fagan era, having played six of those seven games at the Gabba.

Suffice to say, I'm not a believer just yet.
I think Dunkley and Gunston improve them dramatically, and those two added into their team for the PF would have helped especially since their worst two players were Daniher and Hipwood, who combined for 2.1 from 23 disposals and 12 marks.

Gunston averaged 2 goals a game this year and scored 3 when the Hawfies beat us.
Dunkley would have been a big inclusion for their midfield who got absolutely smashed once Neale was negated.

We would still win, but it goes from being a thrashing to probably a 45 point win instead.

I think Dunkley and Gunston improve them dramatically, and those two added into their team for the PF would have helped especially since their worst two players were Daniher and Hipwood, who combined for 2.1 from 23 disposals and 12 marks.

Gunston averaged 2 goals a game this year and scored 3 when the Hawfies beat us.
Dunkley would have been a big inclusion for their midfield who got absolutely smashed once Neale was negated.

We would still win, but it goes from being a thrashing to probably a 45 point win instead.
If nothing else Gunston adds some poise and leadership to their front line.

I agree Dunkley helps them to build an even more imposing group around the ball. And a fit Gunston will certainly bring more firepower.

Defence is still the key issue for me. Both in terms of personnel and in how they play. If they can't contain opposition forward lines better than they did in 2022, they still seem like a questionable proposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back