Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2022, part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL: Why do players keep leaving smaller clubs, GWS and GC for clubs like Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond?

Also AFL: Gives Carlton Good Friday.
It's not the AFLs fault, except for the fact that they gave North a marquee game and no support to build it. Playing against the Dogs was never gonna turn it into a 50k game year in year out. Carlton will bring the fans and the money.

Now that the Hawks have dropped off again, I expect Easter Monday to completely fizzle out, shame this year is our turn because I'd love it to rotate between the G and KP.

It's not the AFLs fault, except for the fact that they gave North a marquee game and no support to build it. Playing against the Dogs was never gonna turn it into a 50k game year in year out. Carlton will bring the fans and the money.

Now that the Hawks have dropped off again, I expect Easter Monday to completely fizzle out, shame this year is our turn because I'd love it to rotate between the G and KP.
Thats a good point, lets kick the Hawks out and bring in someone else. Why should we prop up a minnow club.

How far into the season are we predicting Port to fall off the wagon and the sack Ken calls to start? Round 11 for me.
Round 5, just after the ‘Gather Round ... a festival of footy’ that's in SA

The sack Ken calls are perpetual

Always been a little confused by them personally.

As much as Port want to parade around their SANFL success, the reality is they were on their knees as an AFL club. Financially, performance and crowd wise it's close to if not the worst state an AFL club has been in. Ken is the single reason they became relevant again in the first place.

As for his tenure, I think he's gotten the most you can out of a list of that quality. It's been a mediocre list with a selection of stars....not exactly premiership worthy, but a solid finals/occasional top 4 team depending on the year.

In conjunction with that, Ken's tenure has coincided with two dynasties (Hawks, Tigers) and the ever competitive Swans and our good selves. The reality is only one team can win it every year, and Port have only ever looked close to being the best team once.

It reminds me a bit of Brad Scott's North, where all the supporters think he's the issue, and only after they get rid of him do they realise he's not.

Always been a little confused by them personally.

As much as Port want to parade around their SANFL success, the reality is they were on their knees as an AFL club. Financially, performance and crowd wise it's close to if not the worst state an AFL club has been in. Ken is the single reason they became relevant again in the first place.

As for his tenure, I think he's gotten the most you can out of a list of that quality. It's been a mediocre list with a selection of stars....not exactly premiership worthy, but a solid finals/occasional top 4 team depending on the year.

In conjunction with that, Ken's tenure has coincided with two dynasties (Hawks, Tigers) and the ever competitive Swans and our good selves. The reality is only one team can win it every year, and Port have only ever looked close to being the best team once.

It reminds me a bit of Brad Scott's North, where all the supporters think he's the issue, and only after they get rid of him do they realise he's not.
Good analogy.
Although in 2020, 2021, Port were very close to being #1 team.
2020 they had HGA.
I don't know what went wrong in 21 when they smashed us, then got damaged by Doggies and looked stunned.

Got us when we were figuring out our game plan. If we had gotten them in the second half of the season they would be a percentage booster.
As it turned out v Swans and Saints.
Never confident v Hawks in any game as ladder positions and talent do not seem to matter as much as against other teams.
Although in 23, if we lost to them, it would have to be a huge upset.

Good analogy.
Although in 2020, 2021, Port were very close to being #1 team.
2020 they had HGA.
I don't know what went wrong in 21 when they smashed us, then got damaged by Doggies and looked stunned.
Appreciate it 'Dubs

In a weird way they're a bit like a budget version of us as well.

As we know well around here, many have been less than kind about Chris Scott's tenure up until this year. Although some of those opinions weren't justified, at least you could argue Geelong supporters had a thirst for success due to the previous era and therefore believed we should have had better results over the last decade.

Where as with Port, they weren't coming off a dynasty like Geelong. They have had no real reason to expect better than what they've received (Apart from '20 and '21 as you mentioned)

'20 was a tough performance against a champion side, it's hard to hold much against the Port boys that night, they tried their guys out. '21 was just an inexplicable perfomance which still to this day makes little sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a related note, we should be right into UFA Dylan Moore from the Hawks, if only to make sure they pay top dollar to retain him.

Ridiculous contract for a key forward who isn’t very good.

For a player who is as soft as butter and who’s only talent thus far is flopping for free kicks, this is one of the most mind boggling contracts I’ve ever seen.
The press release claims he was an important player in this year’s final series with 9 goals. So was Sam Weidiemann a few years ago and look where he’s at now.

For a player who is as soft as butter and who’s only talent thus far is flopping for free kicks, this is one of the most mind boggling contracts I’ve ever seen.
The press release claims he was an important player in this year’s final series with 9 goals. So was Sam Weidiemann a few years ago and look where he’s at now.

Kicked 2, 3? against us, ALL of them were deep in the last quarter with the game well and truly over with the Cats resting up on the way to a Grand Final.
That's the level of Hipwoods contribution in big games...

Ridiculous contract for a key forward who isn’t very good.
Before his ACL, he was very good.They are hard to come back from, and true quality KF's are not easy to get.
He showed late signs this year that he could again become very good.
At least they have secured him in that KF spot for his career, and it'll likely be back loaded

Agreed, one of the hardest working players of all time. Ran both ways and did all the hard yards.

He just looked like Brad Pitt so people assume ‘flashy’ on face-value. Cuz was anything but.
Just on this...I recall reading a story about Cousins' work ethic. The story quoted a Swans player (can't remember who, but was a renowned hard runner), who talked about a "run with" role on Cousins one day.

To paraphrase, he said "I looked over at the WC huddle at 3/4 time, and there he (Cousins) was vomiting. I thought Good, I've got him now! Last quarter starts, and there he is running me ragged all over again!"

Probably one of "the" players from a "past" era, who at his best would have no issues with the stamina demands of the game today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back