Oppo Camp Non Giants AFL discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo becoming the laughing stock of trade period annually.

Their sense of entitlement when a contracted WA player (McCarthey, Wilson) wants to move back is hard enough to listen to.

However they throw all the toys out of the cot when a contracted player at their club wants to trade out because of the same reason (Welker).

The hypocricy in that Weller thread over on D&T board is overflowing. Funny stuff. Honestly dont recall seeing that much of him but calls for 2 first rounders and top10 picks for a guy that averages 20 possesions a game, gee whizz.
vs MK for pick 40??? I want some of that whacky weed

Port looking like the big winners of trade week. Unusual for them, they seem to develop from the draft mostly. If Ryder continues his form and they get Motlop and Watts in particular focussed and delivering they might be a real threat next year.

Pretty sure the Crows wont fall back, their list and game plan has built slowly over time and it's pretty robust I think. The SA sides could both be top 4.
:D Both NSW sides in contention as well.

Gold Coast's problems are so all-pervasive they were caught in a dilemma - couldn't afford to do the s**t deal that Freo offered them but couldn't afford not to do it. If they didn't get Weller there this year - the only time a relatively good player wanted to go there - they would have put an anchor on their already-constrained recruiting capacity. I don't know why they didn't try Carlton for a trade - #2 & next year's WC first rounder for #3 & #10. I would have thought Carlton would jump at the chance to have two possibly top 10 positions in next year's mega-draft as well as moving into second spot this year. But GCS didn't, and I think they got reamed. Problem is Weller isn't actually that good, and he's only third year, so he's going to take time to develop and this trade has just put mega pressure on him.

I can't believe that Adelaide did that deal for Gibbs either - they well overpaid. The Crows though were saved because they, in turn, reamed Melbourne & Lions for Lever & Cameron.

My thoughts on the trade period for other clubs
Weller for 2 Suns shafted
Gibbs for 10 + 16 Crows overpaid massively
Cameron for 12 Lions overpaid
Schace for 25 + 40 Lions shafted
Lever for 10 + Future first Demons overpaid slightly
Stringer for 25 + 30 Bombers win and it could be a massive win if he gets back to his best

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd spare a moment for Swans fans whining on the main board they've been dropped down from three MCG games to two this year.
Boo Hoo

5bb1488e70ac0b482902a2024eb908d3.gif

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This just pathetic for mine.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/6f73da5fd40ee7538d6c5dfd541f4d28
"THE AFL says it will provide counselling and psychological support for umpires mentally shot from bouncing during games.
The AFL Commission on Tuesday voted to retain the bounce despite umpires testifying to a litany of mental health and injury concerns.
Senior umpire Ray Chamberlain said last week he threw up before gamesbecause of the pressure of bouncing and had needed a shoulder reconstruction from its toll"

Next on the list for mental health concerns that the AFL has to address.
Fowards forced to kick AT goal, but might miss.
Defenders forced to stop the goal, but might fail,
Midfielders forced to handball and risk hitting an opponent
Fans forced to attend games where we lose

I get mental health as an issue, this isn't that, it's PC madness and Razor proving he is a highly strung *******

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/6f73da5fd40ee7538d6c5dfd541f4d28
"THE AFL says it will provide counselling and psychological support for umpires mentally shot from bouncing during games.
The AFL Commission on Tuesday voted to retain the bounce despite umpires testifying to a litany of mental health and injury concerns.
Senior umpire Ray Chamberlain said last week he threw up before gamesbecause of the pressure of bouncing and had needed a shoulder reconstruction from its toll"

I get mental health as an issue, this isn't that, it's PC madness and Razor proving he is a highly strung *******

I disagree. It's a situation with a lot of pressure on it to get it right. These guys can get demoted based off their bounce, let alone the public ridicule which they do cop in some of the media and online. That pressure is basically a perfect storm for potential mental health issues.

Look at guys like Boyd and Franklin - both took time off for mental issues, but would you be characterising them as "Forwards forced to kick AT goal, but might miss? Or Downie, if you'd included a "Rucks forced to tap a ball to their team but might not"?

If you reduce it to "just bouncing a ball" sure, you make it sound ridiculous, but you're ignoring the context and the individual, both of which are a lot more relevant to the situation. Just because you don't like Chamberlain doesn't reduce the relevance.

I disagree. It's a situation with a lot of pressure on it to get it right. These guys can get demoted based off their bounce, let alone the public ridicule which they do cop in some of the media and online. That pressure is basically a perfect storm for potential mental health issues.

Look at guys like Boyd and Franklin - both took time off for mental issues, but would you be characterising them as "Forwards forced to kick AT goal, but might miss? Or Downie, if you'd included a "Rucks forced to tap a ball to their team but might not"?

If you reduce it to "just bouncing a ball" sure, you make it sound ridiculous, but you're ignoring the context and the individual, both of which are a lot more relevant to the situation. Just because you don't like Chamberlain doesn't reduce the relevance.

If I am not mentally fit for a role, job, task etc I don't do it, if I find out once I have accepted it I go to someone and say sorry this isn't for me.
The expectation that they should change the game to suit the frailties of a minority is what pisses me off, despite Cloke' Boyd's and many many others, we do still actually ask forwards to kick at goal, we don't ask them to roll it instead to reduce the stress involved.

To clarify, my anger isn't directed at the Razor's for having an issue with an aspect of their job causing stress, that's pretty common.
I have a huge issue with him wanting a fundamentally iconic aspect of the game changed to reduce his angst.
It's not like it was introduced as a workplace change, it's been around a while

From the article I read the big issue was the injuries it was causing and the restriction it places on available umpires, and mental health was only covered in passing.

There was an earlier article either yesterday or the day before, which focused on why Chamberlain thought the bounce should go as it caused him stress.
I'll see if I can find it rather than misquoting inadvertantly

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/a0b093d2e1a98f98f2f337a212d8b2d1

AFL umpire Ray Chamberlain has stepped up the campaign to scrap the bounce
Herald Sun
November 16, 2017 9:37am
HIGH-PROFILE umpire Ray Chamberlain has stepped up the campaign to scrap the bounce.
The traditional centre bounce is under threat with the league’s whistle blowers calling for it to be abolished due to health and safety issues.
The bounce has already been scrapped in elite junior competition the TAC Cup.

“Razor Ray” described the bounce as his own “kryptonite” and said colleagues were forced to medicate anxiety due to the pressure of bouncing the ball during matches.
“I know it causes guys — not just myself — extraordinary levels of anxiety when really they should be focusing on the job at hand,” Chamberlain told Sportsday Radio.
“I’ve got no doubt it would be a really positive move for umpiring and the game in general.
“Where it causes the most grief is in your preparation before a game. You should be focusing on the things that matter.
“But I’ve known of guys taking medication to help with their anxiety in relation to it. That’s really unhealthy.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The article talks about OH&S, Chamberlain makes it a mental health issue (which it may be for him).

Thus the other examples I listed of how we could avoid stress in the game, I forgot to mention widening the goals

I'm pretty empathetic with the umps. It's a necessary role and they get nothing but abuse from crowds.
I think they're entitled to their share of the pie, definitely we need full time pros at AFL level and perhaps a contract system similar to the players with max payments to $500k.
But yeah this is ******* ridiculous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back