Oppo Camp Non Giants AFL discussion

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
To be fair both were played. Club couldn’t do much more than give them a ridiculous offer.
They were home sick mummy’s boys nothing more.
If that’s the case the bad job started with their profiling before investing the high picks in them. They wouldn’t have turned into mummy’s boys in the 2 years at the club. Was a heap of talent taken after them so plenty of other options who weren’t midfielders.
I’d heard that Caldwell is a ripping bloke, but got frustrated by the lack of opportunity and explanation for missing out after fighting through injuries.
You’re probably right that the crazy money would have got him even if he’d played every game.

The 25-year-old joined the Saints from GWS at the end of 2016 in search of greater opportunities at senior level.

Steele reflected on his time at the Giants, where he played 17 games in two seasons.

“I reflect on that sort of stuff all the time, especially after last year,” Steele said.

“Even before last year I still felt like I reflected on the move quite a lot because ideally the move was to get me playing more AFL football.

“After three years at the Saints, I’d already done that. I think I played 62 games in three years whereas I only played 17 in two at the Giants.

“The goal was sort of achieved by then, and last year was just the icing on the cake, I guess.

“There was just so much talent, we had so much depth during that period. It was just a constant cycle of being in and out of the side.

“I never felt like they undervalued me at all.”

You can see why guys like Caldwell and Hately want to leave early when they struggle to get games, especially when they see guys like Steele depart for greener pastures and immediately see increase in opportunity. Not all make it but you can see why they try.

Last edited:

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Not good for most supporters here but the Dogs are flying and looking good for top 4, i just hope they get called for throwing more often

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Did I see a Toby rule studs up mark in the Bulldogs Carlton game today? not sure who it was but i remember hearing one of the commentators say studs in the face or something like that

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
could you be more Vic centric than Neil Balme here. Heads up, the game went national 3 decades ago. Time to accept it.

How the hell does Richmond playing Frankston on a Thursday have anything to do with anyone beyond their plague infested borders?

He said:
To me we should have just played Victorian VFL teams against each other

Message to Neil Balme: Frankston is IN VICTORIA and it doesn’t matter that NSW/QLD teams are in the comp or not. YOU’D STILL BE DRAWN TO PLAY FRANKSTON ON THURSDAY

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Not sure how Rioli is allowed back at the Eagles after being caught with 24 gms of cannabis and transporting it to a community where he is a role model for the younger people and after his previous issues

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Another day, another s-show in Victoria.

If we want to get sanity into the AFL we should break the game into two conferences - a Victorian one, and a rest of Australia one.

The Victorians can continue in and out of lockdown with their own umpires until they’re dizzy (VFL conference).

The Rest of Australia can get on with the competition without lockdowns with neutral umpires (AFL conference).

The AFL and VFL conferences can then converge at the Prelim Final stage.

If VFL HQ kills the Sydney derby in 2021 by taking it interstate for a second straight year then conferences are the only solution.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Back