Oppo Camp Non Giants AFL discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

only watched the last 5 minutes of tonight’s final but F**k me, Brisbane we’re reamed by some horrendous umpiring that handed the game to the dogs.

shades of 2016

and it doesn’t matter where the game is played, the VFL gets it way.
It went like that for the entire last quarter.

And that's not even mentioning the throws the Dogs got away with, but that's been happening all season.

Didn’t watch most of the Lions game.

Was the VFL umpiring tonight really as blatantly lopsided as our game last night?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

only watched the last 5 minutes of tonight’s final but F**k me, Brisbane we’re reamed by some horrendous umpiring that handed the game to the dogs.

shades of 2016

and it doesn’t matter where the game is played, the VFL gets it way.

Last five minutes of the second quarter the Dogs get four free kicks in a row and kick 2.1.

Last couple of minutes of the third, the Dogs get another three free kicks in a row and kick 1.2.

Last quarter the Dogs get a free kick count of 10-2 and kick 4.2 to 2.3.

Let me guess:

Did BT wrap up the commentary again tonight by saying “The umpires had a good game night.”?

No BT tonight, but one commentator did have a gem about "the umpires are just letting them play" part way through the last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1226781

Interesting that we're third, but there's daylight between the Dogs and everyone else.

I would love to see a before and after of this table from when McCartney let the umps have it during the year! Since then we have seemed to have gotten a better run with the umpires.
But yes, the Dogs biggest weapons are their ability to drop the ball and not get pinged for HTB, get an in the back by diving forward while being tackled and having a player in Bontempelli who is the least likely player to get a free paid against him in the league.

If true, that's a massive kick in the guts for Brisbane after a promising rebuild. Without Neale they are probably still a finals side but flag credentials take a big hit.

Interesting stat re Brisbane's record w/ Neale vs w/o Neale

I wonder whether the general takeaway from the Neale story is about closed borders and players with young families.

Would Neale need/want to return to WA if family members could move freely between Qld and WA?

There are players who are happy to live and play interstate.

There are others who never would.

But the new ‘at-risk’ category may be those who are happy, but not if it means the grandparents, wife and children never see each other.

Crazy we’re in this situation as a country.

I wonder whether the general takeaway from the Neale story is about closed borders and players with young families.

Would Neale need/want to return to WA if family members could move freely between Qld and WA?

There are players who are happy to live and play interstate.

There are others who never would.

But the new ‘at-risk’ category may be those who are happy, but not if it means the grandparents, wife and children never see each other.

Crazy we’re in this situation as a country.

Jezza made similar comments, IIRC, saying that he was going to re-sign but then being stuck in hubs for all last season made him massively miss the family connections.

Hopefully mass vaccination will assist in coming out of the COVID nightmare per se, but some players will ask ''what's the risk of another pandemic coming along and again causing us to be trapped inside state border?'' and that will cause some of them to reconsider interstate teams. Of course, not everyone can get back home, and $ will talk in some cases, but I think it will be an ongoing risk.

Doesn't that say something about Whateley? And maybe someone saw something in the Cats-GWS game they didn't like?
Got to agree with you.
The media focus was on the umpiring in the Lions/Dogs game because it was a close result.
Objectively, the umpiring was worse in the Giants/Cats game.
It gives hope that the umpiring department recognised that.

Got to agree with you.
The media focus was on the umpiring in the Lions/Dogs game because it was a close result.
Objectively, the umpiring was worse in the Giants/Cats game.
It gives hope that the umpiring department recognised that.
We got belted by the umps

We got belted by the umps

I agree the Chamberlain dumping is very, very big news.

I expect Razor Ray was given two instructions before the game, and he messed up the second one which would have been along the lines of ‘and don’t make it too obvious’.

That Whateley can’t even imagine what the dumped umpire did wrong speaks to a man who’s simply given up on pretending to be a journalist.

On a related point, you can be certain that Stevic will be rewarded for his testimony against TFG by being given the GF.

Last edited:
I agree the Chamberlain dumping is very, very big news.

I expect Razor Ray was given two instructions before the game, and he messed up the second one which would have been along the lines of ‘and don’t make it too obvious’.

That Whateley can’t even imagine what the dumped umpire did wrong speaks to a man who’s simply given up on pretending to be a journalist.

On a related point, you can be certain that Stevic will be rewarded for his testimony against TFG by being given the GF.

The fool was just carrying on about the GF start time being out by 15mins. What a flog.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back