Non-Influencial 'Gun' Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
You know those guys.

The Joel Bowden's of the world.

The dudes that are stars 'cause they always get the nut and their stats look awesome - but if you have a clue and are capable of assessing the game on what you see, rather than what the scrote commentators tell you, youbut realise that they actually don't do that much harm. They're actually pretty ineffective.

Seb Ross.
Andrew Gaff.

Who else?
excuse me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
I doubt that Port fans actually have buyer’s remorse taking Rockliff because he is doing exactly what he has always done. I would also doubt if they thought they were getting an absolute gun. None of this can be coming as a surprise. He is and always has been an accumulator who will sometimes get a quarter of his possessions in the last ten minutes of a game. He isn’t fast or explosive and he isn’t big, isn’t elusive. He is what he is - a very good ordinary player who knows where to be to get the ball and dispose of it with varying degrees of accuracy and creativity. I don’t think he will be much more than that.

In fact his best skill might be as a small contested mark inside forward 50 where he can use his football brain quite well. He is surprisingly difficult to defend against one-on-one inside 50. But he can’t do much else up forward at an A grade level away from the contest, because of his athletic averageness.

Good luck to him though. He has carved out a decent career coming from a pre season draft and a club that was in the doldrums nearly the whole time he was here. I think Rockliff is giving Port exactly what it says on the tin.

Not Ross
Not Gaff
Nah, definitely Ross

Was good 2 seasons ago. Now he just gets a lot of the ball, runs, takes a heap of bounces after 5 steps, kicks to opposition, rinse, repeat.

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As mentioned, any of those midfield/half-back unaccountable accumulators - Hunter, Gaff, Docherty, Lloyd, Laird etc

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
As mentioned, any of those midfield/half-back unaccountable accumulators - Hunter, Gaff, Docherty, Lloyd, Laird etc

Not sure why people lump wingmen in with half backs.

Gaff isn't flashy but he's effective. Gets possessions all over the ground and rarely wastes the ball. Will still be running hard after 5 minutes or 75.

Hurn, Sheppard, Duggan, Jetta get more sideways kicks in the defensive 50 as we like to move the ball side to side to start attacks. I don't mind this because those guys are good kicks and pick options up the ground when they are on. Lloyd just seems to get 30 touches a week without doing much else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back