Non-Influencial 'Gun' Players

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Cogs. Hence why I don't really want him to come to Hawthorn.

Who are you talking about? Wouldn’t be Stephen Coniglio who last year nearly single handily won the SF for the giants, and who is having a great season so far....

Jake Lloyd- doesn’t win any contested ball
Lachie hunter fits the bill too

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Who are you talking about? Wouldn’t be Stephen Coniglio who last year nearly single handily won the SF for the giants, and who is having a great season so far....

Jake Lloyd- doesn’t win any contested ball
Lachie hunter fits the bill too

Hunter is very good at popping up when the ball is heading towards goals. Not so much going the other way.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Taylor Adams gets lumped in with Collingwood’s best, but is a genuine liability with his kicking skills IMO

Tom Scully is another who gets hyped on Bigfooty but I can’t remember many games he’s dominated. He’s Andrew Gaff-lite.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Hunter is very good at popping up when the ball is heading towards goals. Not so much going the other way.
Hunter has an unbelievable work rate and covers so much ground defensively. He’s a great two way runner.

I’d mention his name in this thread because I don’t like what he does when he has the ball.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How is Tom Mitchell simultaneously:
a) The least influential gun
b) The reason why the Hawks won't make finals this year through his injury

This thread in its entirety is peak BigFooty.
Tom Mitchell carried the Hawks on his back to 15 wins and 4th place in 2018

No midfielder worked harder to win contested ball, win a loose ball, run to receive, or pressure the opposition into giving it back.

This season with Mitchell sidelined, the Hawthorn midfield is being spanked on a weekly basis. The Hawks are stumbling along in 9th place and they're relying on Clarkson's smoke and mirrors to be competitive and pinch any win they can.

Big Footy operates parallel to reality in its own universe with its own rules, logic and belief systems.
People post their opinions in this echo chamber without actually watching many games besides their own team.

Last edited:

SteveK777

Draftee
May 13, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How can you get the footy 30 times a game on be non-influential?

I'd much rather a player get 32 and go at 50% DE, then a guy who gets it 13-14 times and goes at 90% DE.

Of course the more you get it, the less you're going to use it well. To say a player like Laird or Mitchell are 'non-influential' is absolutely ridiculous.
Sad to say that Ollie Wines is that sort of player. Gets plenty of it but generally turns it over and can often be a bad influence on Ports overall game. Has a long way to go so hopefully improves over time.

SteveK777

Draftee
May 13, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Kane Cornes
Can't agree on that one. I had him as one of the most influential players ever. Most of his touches he played to his limitations by handballing to a more penetrating kicker. But he got it out and got the team moving. At the same time took the opposition's best player out of the game week in week out. So got Port moving and negated the opposition = influential.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not Ross
Not Gaff
So Gaff is 2nd in the comp for Disposals.

But is also 89th for Inside 50s.
82nd for Goal Assists.
89th for Rebound 50s.
59th for Clearances.
38th for Meters Gained.
65th for Contested Posessions.
And has kicked 1 goal.

The numbers back up what I see when I watch him - that he gets heaps of the nut, but kicks short to stationary targets in non-threatening positions. Generally speaking.

He's not a bad player as such, but just doesn't really influence the outcome nor cause any real danger to the opposition.

I reckon that's why they marched on comfortably without him last year.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I think Andrew Gaff and Jake Lloyd are the best nominations.

Never paid a lot of attention to West Coast a few years ago. Then I noticed one season Gaff started to get a ton of the footy every week. They had climbed up the ladder so I watched them more. He’d have his 30 odd each week and I’d barely notice his impact.

Lloyd is a similar player but as a defender.

One thing I will say though is with some of these players is that we don’t see everything they do on TV. Even if we go to games we don’t know what role they’re being asked to perform each week.

A lot of elite running players being nominated in this thread. I agree you don’t notice the impact of the likes of Gaff, Phillips, Scully etc. But I’m sure their coaches don’t view them that way.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Taylor Adams gets lumped in with Collingwood’s best, but is a genuine liability with his kicking skills IMO

Tom Scully is another who gets hyped on Bigfooty but I can’t remember many games he’s dominated. He’s Andrew Gaff-lite.

I was thinking of Tom Scully. Even before the injury he was a good player but always seemed to be talked about like he was an elite player.

I was thinking of Tom Scully. Even before the injury he was a good player but always seemed to be talked about like he was an elite player.

Same as others, I think it's more the contribution Scully gives to a side with his running and work rate. When you're trying to juggle rotations, a bloke who can play in the middle and spend 90%+ TOG is worth their weight in gold.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
We are allowed to have different opinions. Was completely anonymous in the last nine and a half minutes against Collingwood. His only touch was kicking the ball out on the full which directly led to a Collingwood goal. Not saying he isn't an excellent player- he is. But he's not as influential as many of your own supporters would lead you to believe and unfortunately he went missing with the game on the line on Saturday. :thumbsu:

Back