Non-Influencial 'Gun' Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt Crouch? He’s a bit more damaging these days but last year when he was racking up 40 a game I didn’t even notice him.

I don't think Taylor Walker is the sort of player this thread is about. He doesn't accumulate a ton of possessions. You can make an argument that he often doesn't get enough of the ball. But he does tend to deal quite a bit of damage with the touches he gets.

He has no influence in a lot of his games

Interesting responses of yours to Scott Wests nomination

So if Scott West actually is a non-influencial gun player (and I make no comment on if he is worthy of a nomination or not)
324 games.
Super he played lots of games and didn't do much
7 time best and fairest (club record).
Someone has to win them in an average side
5 time AA.
So many of the same selectors pick the team - KB and others have no idea what actually helps win games of footy. Probably a few non-influencial gun players in every AA team
2 time runner up in brownlow.
So in 2000 he was comparable to Shane Woewodin? Tom Mitchell seems to be a popular figure in this thread and he actually won a brownlow as well as runner up
Leading possession getter on the ground in consecutive prelims.
Maybe his lack of influence was critical in losing those prelims?
Even if you’re right your post is better suited to an unpopular opinions thread!
Is it true that Scott West joined a team that had played in a Prelim Final the previous year, and they promptly slid out of the 8? And when he retired the team improved and went on play in two consecutive Prelims straight after he retired?

Some people must think less of guys that arnt meant to be ball winners.
You want blokes like Lloyd to become a ball ferret ? At his size ? He'd stick his head in a pack and be rag dolled out with one hand. He's got mongrel but a man needs to know his limitations.
Just off the contest, fast reliable decision making and excellent distribution.
You need a few of all types.
Tom Mitchell I can understand due to him being an inside mid.

One bloke that never worried me thru his entire career was Marc Murphy. If he had it 15 times in the first qtr it wasn't necessarily bad news.

Early days when he played more free and forward of center he cut you apart. but that was a long time ago now! I remember him hitting up fev for fun and running through 50 kicking goals. Cant hit anything these days and cant kick 30!

Early days when he played more free and forward of center he cut you apart. but that was a long time ago now! I remember him hitting up fev for fun and running through 50 kicking goals. Cant hit anything these days and cant kick 30!
No matey.
I;m saying he never worried me.
There was never a time when anyone said "how do we stop Marc Murphy"

I'm of basically the exact opposite opinion. I've only watched the dogs live this year, and maybe Macrae comes across better on the tv, but live it looks like his possessions always put the receiver under pressure. That's been a bit of an issue for them this year, pressure building throughout a possession chain until they turn it over.

Then Hunter is the one who relieves that pressure with a cool head & smart ball use. Bontempelli should be too but he's seemed a bit less cool under pressure this year IMO.

Edit - Especially noticeable when we tagged Hunter, and not having him involved caused the dogs to turn the footy over far more often than usual.

Nahhhhh Macrae can turn a game when he's 'on' with some pretty great disposal. Hunter generally slows momentum when going forward but I think he plays to his strengths because his kicking 20m+ can be a real issue with how long the ball takes to get to the target.

*The Carlton game was the worst we have played this year by some margin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neale and rockliff
Came here to say exactly these two. Both have been gun players in terrible sides over the years.

Up until 2017 Cotchin was in the same boat. Jack Steven, Pierce Hanley, David Swallow, Ben Brown, most of Port's list..

Came here to say exactly these two. Both have been gun players in terrible sides over the years.

Up until 2017 Cotchin was in the same boat. Jack Steven, Pierce Hanley, David Swallow, Ben Brown, most of Port's list..

Not sure how Neale is not influential. Everything he does is to advantage and is able to buy time with great technique. Rocky was first to it but was never that player who could have the clean hands or ride a tackle. Kicks all had ridiculous hang time as well.

Not sure how Neale is not influential. Everything he does is to advantage and is able to buy time with great technique. Rocky was first to it but was never that player who could have the clean hands or ride a tackle. Kicks all had ridiculous hang time as well.
Neale just accumulates the ball but doesn't seem to do much with it. He's one of those guys that picks up 35 touches and you barely notice him.

He has been much better since going to the Lions though.

Neale just accumulates the ball but doesn't seem to do much with it. He's one of those guys that picks up 35 touches and you barely notice him.

He has been much better since going to the Lions though.

I thought that too but it really hasn't been the case. Obviously you pay more attention to your own team and I barely saw Freo play.

He's had at least 3 games this year that he has won for us by winning a completely clear centre clearance and getting it into 50 to advantage or goaling himself. His last quarter v North and his third quarter v gold coast the prime examples.

I'm biased but there is a massive difference between his 40 touches and the 40 touches Rocky used to get for us - Rocky was the king of 15m chip passes whereas over 50% of Neale's possessions have been contested (he's second in the comp behind Cripps and first in total disposals) and the other stats are also absurd - second in centre clearances, second in total clearances etc. I think his disposal efficiency has been above 80% most weeks too.

Contested ball is a flawed stat when viewed in isolation.

For example, ball is kicked backwards, kicker misses the target. Picking up that loose ball is considered a contested ball as it falls into the category “loose ball get”. Even if the player is in 50m of space.

Gaff has been mentioned a few times, and most WC fans have defended him. The guy covers a mountain of territory. Always is in the right position to take an outlet kick out of d50 if needed.

The reason he’s not hitting the scoreboard this year is because WC are conceding so many inside 50’s, he’s working doubly hard to get back to the contests to be able to provide an option if needed. Much of it is unrewarded running, because our ball retention isn’t as good this year & he’s not been able to use his gut running to get a couple of possessions in the chain and deliver the ball inside 50 so often.

Last year, when we were better at that, he kicked 12 goals in 19 games. That was in most part reward for effort. But his role within the club is very highly rated.

1558412836648-png.677928

Definitely Gaff. He gets 30+ nearly every game but they are mostly cheap possessions across the backline and chip kicks. He’s a good runner but not as damaging as similar players

So Ben Cunnington then?

Hmmm nah, has the ability to split a game open with his elite handball and contested marking. Is also a beautiful kick (not that he choses to kick very often).

Jack Ziebell however, now there is someone who can have 35 touches and the majority of them will be bombs to no one. No one gets worried when the footy is in his hands

Hmmm nah, has the ability to split a game open with his elite handball and contested marking. Is also a beautiful kick (not that he choses to kick very often).

Jack Ziebell however, now there is someone who can have 35 touches and the majority of them will be bombs to no one. No one gets worried when the footy is in his hands

Cunnington and contested marks??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back