Non Lions Discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

This Essendon/Hawks game is gonna be good.

Either a close, hard fought game or a hard fight at half-time with millions of dollars in fines and a LOT of suspensions. Either way I'm cool with it.

Stratton getting all pinchy. Talking heads on Fox footy bringing the Charlie Cameron stuff back up from a few years ago.
Can't believe he's captain. At least Maxwell just pointed.

If you stopped to have a think on it you may realise most (the greatest majority) of people spewing **** about the AFL would be 30ish & under. Us older ones, the ones that watched footy in the 90's,mgenerally have very little to do with social media and if we do there would be very few that would follow a footy club on Facebook or wherever. I'm hedging 70 and am finding it harder and harder to even come to this place. I, and a lot of the older people I talk with think the game is heading in a good direction.
That's fair enough.

My comment was more directed at the media personalities that love to focus on how much the game was better when they played (that's what I was referring to with the back-in-my-day comment). I can definitely understand that being read in a way focusing on the general public though. That's my bad. Being from Brisbane and in my early-mid twenties, I don't have that much day to day interaction with the greater older footy demographic.

The players in the media that like to talk about how much the game sucks now though really do grind my gears.

Apologies if I offended. Wasn't my intention, although I can definitely see how it could be taken that way.

If you stopped to have a think on it you may realise most (the greatest majority) of people spewing **** about the AFL would be 30ish & under. Us older ones, the ones that watched footy in the 90's,mgenerally have very little to do with social media and if we do there would be very few that would follow a footy club on Facebook or wherever. I'm hedging 70 and am finding it harder and harder to even come to this place. I, and a lot of the older people I talk with think the game is heading in a good direction.

I am sure there's alot of truth in that. I reckon a lot of the trolling is coming from the age bracket you described. Its just out of control at the moment.

Obviously a very small bubble you live in.

Narr I talk footy with people from all walks of life and on multiple forums. The obsessive 'anti AFL' stuff has a huge impulsive, twitch factor about it ATM - people hear something and just scream at clouds about it. I reckon its just like being the PM - no matter what you do, half the country will hate it.

So me yelling at the umpires on their way off at halftime (14-7 give us a go) in my loudest voice is antisocial? These blokes are supposed to be elite umpires.Do I do this at junior games where there is usually a teenager making some pocket money by umpiring?No.They are doing a job they don’t train for.The sooner Afl umpires become full time professional the better and more consistent the standard will be.

So me yelling at the umpires on their way off at halftime (14-7 give us a go) in my loudest voice is antisocial? These blokes are supposed to be elite umpires.Do I do this at junior games where there is usually a teenager making some pocket money by umpiring?No.They are doing a job they don’t train for.The sooner Afl umpires become full time professional the better and more consistent the standard will be.
For starters people getting pulled up are those yelling insults and abuse instead of about free kick counts. Do you yell insults over the counter when a barista stuffs up your order?

And to add to that if an experienced barista got my order wrong 4or 5 times I think I probably would yell’ it’s a bloody flat white with one sugar’

While that would be a good, a much bigger difference would come from the AFL commission sorting out the rules - less complexity, less interpretation, less ambiguity. The game is a clusterf*** to adjudicate right now and that's entirely on the suits.

And to add to that if an experienced barista got my order wrong 4or 5 times I think I probably would yell’ it’s a bloody flat white with one sugar’

My favourite is when you ask for a flat white with no foam (because most of the time it comes with a bunch of foam in top) and the barista looks down at you and informs you in supercilious tones that a flat white doesn't have any foam with strong overtones of you are obviously too stupid to live and definitely beneath the calibre of client who should be being graced by receiving service at their institution of caffination. The fun part is that I don't even drink coffee and am ordering for another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For starters people getting pulled up are those yelling insults and abuse instead of about free kick counts. Do you yell insults over the counter when a barista stuffs up your order?
I yelled at a cloud once

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

While that would be a good, a much bigger difference would come from the AFL commission sorting out the rules - less complexity, less interpretation, less ambiguity. The game is a clusterf*** to adjudicate right now and that's entirely on the suits.
Yep. Can’t watch for five minutes now without becoming utterly disillusioned with what’s going on, so I don’t.

Maybe you should read some of the journo’s weighing in on the subject today on Twitter.

Those that were at last nights game. Even AFL.com journo’s are pretty scathing about some of the security at last nights game.

Glad to meet another coffee virgin Viceregal , coffee has never passed my lips, closet I have got is when I went through a phase in the 70s of drinking Tia Maria or Kahlua with milk, mmmm!

Shamefully I must admit to missing the mark on that one good sir. Way back in they day (late 80's) I was filling in for a day with a furniture removalist mob ... a three story house with mid room open spiral staircases and mostly glass furniture to a two story house with tight internal stairs only five minutes away ... when we finished the job I was sitting there somewhat catatonic and someone put a mug of coffee into my hand and I drank it. Does it count if you were incapable of making decisions at the time?

In another lifetime, we use to play compulsory Saturday morning school sports on ovals in and around the Melbourne metro area, which meant school uniform had to be worn to and from these events...A group of us decided after our sports game on the Studley Park ovals we would go to Victoria Park and watch the footy which was within walking distance...
Those days, depending on crowd levels, kids were allowed to sit between the boundary line and fence or were encouraged to go to the front of the crowd in the outer standing areas... If it was the outer we'd collect the old large steel beer cans to stand on raising our height and enhancing the full view of the game...
This particular day we had blocked the view of an old lady who cracked her umbrella over our skulls while giving us a gobful of colorful well-chosen adjectives...Later in the game, this woman introduced us to the term "white maggot" (derived from their white uniforms)... I had never heard the term before and discovered it was standard traditional playful and friendly exchange towards the umpire...when one side of the spectators did not agree with the umpire's decision... In those days things were pretty tribal, smaller grounds and a theatre atmosphere a lot of witty rational banter would entertain the crowd and if someone overstepped the mark the crowd let them know ..Sadly (IMO) in making the game a big business, that time is lost and that clever banter has been replaced with abuse by crowd/gang mentality.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back