Non Lions Discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

We all wanted Toumpas so bad on this board to be fair. He looked Juddlike in his draft year.

One of the biggest wake-up calls to me that us armchair pundits are really just firing wildly in the dark when assessing players.

I'm still up in the air about whether Toumpas was never going to be any good or if he got Melboune'd. They were elite at stifling young talent for a time.

I think it would be a mistake to assume a private school education for a footballer equals a privileged background. I’d imagine most kids with obvious talent would be offered a place at a private school with a football focus, irrespective of whether their parents could afford the fees.

Different sport but a good mate of mine was educated at an elite Brisbane private school, despite his Dad being in and out of jail and spending occasional periods homeless with his Mum. His talent as a rugby player meant he got the best education possible, leading to a career as a professional sportsperson and now coach. But his background was anything but privileged.

If we're talking Melbourne's draft fails with a dash of private schoolism, let's not forget them taking Brighton Grammar's Jack Watts from a very wealthy liberal family at pick number one over the "wrong side" of the tracks product Nic Natanui.

At no stage were Melbourne ever looking elsewhere when they took Watts, nor did they ever look seriously at Dustin Martin after taking Scully and Trengrove at 1 & 2 in 09, you know, because Dustin Martin did not fit the establishment of a Melbourne type player.

Games like today's ANZAC clash are gentle reminders why a lot of players want to move to or be drafted by Essendon and Collingwood.

I'm not sure what player wouldn't enjoy getting to play in such games on an annual basis or bi-annual basis with Collingwood players also getting the Queens Birthday stand alone match against Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood looking awfully good, best side I've seen play this season, their pressure, run and overlap/handball receive play is elite. Hopefully they have peaked too early.

They are doing the same thing to Essendon that they did to us last week.

I think it would be a mistake to assume a private school education for a footballer equals a privileged background. I’d imagine most kids with obvious talent would be offered a place at a private school with a football focus, irrespective of whether their parents could afford the fees.

Different sport but a good mate of mine was educated at an elite Brisbane private school, despite his Dad being in and out of jail and spending occasional periods homeless with his Mum. His talent as a rugby player meant he got the best education possible, leading to a career as a professional sportsperson and now coach. But his background was anything but privileged.

Spot on. Poaching of good football talent and offering them scholarships at private schools has been going on for a long time.

Most of them wouldn't have had the opportunity to attend decent schools if it wasn't for their sporting abilities.

Great for the kid who gets the scholarship and even better for the school if the kid gets drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back