Non Lions Discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately for paddy McCartin his career looks in jeopardy. If he cant take head knocks like that then he has no place in footy. Might need an office job.

Unfortunately for paddy McCartin his career looks in jeopardy. If he cant take head knocks like that then he has no place in footy. Might need an office job.

Could take up coaching. A Sydney fan said his bro also got a concussion so could be genetic

Probably just take a cautionary approach because it is JLT.

On another note, Sheppard might not be playing against us, lots of ice around the knee area
Could take up coaching. A Sydney fan said his bro also got a concussion so could be genetic
I know its precautionary. The concussion rule is just that. Head knocks like that for a key forward are bound to happen regularly. We couldn't afford a player like that.

I know its JLT, but Fremantle's midfield look absolutely shocking. Sean Darcy is their first ruckman who isnt up to it at the moment and they've got absolutely nothing behind Fyfe in their midfield. I just don't think Fyfe can shoulder the load on his own now Neale has gone.

I know its JLT, but Fremantle's midfield look absolutely shocking. Sean Darcy is their first ruckman who isnt up to it at the moment and they've got absolutely nothing behind Fyfe in their midfield. I just don't think Fyfe can shoulder the load on his own now Neale has gone.
Well apparently it was all about Fyfe anyway!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne fans on Twitter are a special kind stupid, entitled bunch.

They wanted Merrett suspended for a month a few years back for a legitimate spoil attempt in a marking contest that just happened to injure Cam Pederson. Yet wanted May to walk for a deliberate late hit after the ball had left the area.

I imagine that Bigfooty's king of projecting fragile masculinity, topkent will be decrying how soft the game has become.

They wanted Merrett suspended for a month a few years back for a legitimate spoil attempt in a marking contest that just happened to injure Cam Pederson. Yet wanted May to walk for a deliberate late hit after the ball had left the area.
I like one Melbourne poster;

“All May did was brace himself. What was he supposed to do with a player running straight at him”.

I like one Melbourne poster;

“All May did was brace himself. What was he supposed to do with a player running straight at him”.

Imagine actually convincing yourself of that.

Spent the night in hospital didn’t he?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
McCartin? Yeah, apparently he got concussed. If he gets concussed from those, then yeah he might be in trouble. Surely there are people around him telling him that he might have to give up AFL. Unfortunate really that McCartin can get 8 concussions or something and seemingly still be able to play but Clarke gets 1 and has to retire :'(

McCartin? Yeah, apparently he got concussed. If he gets concussed from those, then yeah he might be in trouble. Surely there are people around him telling him that he might have to give up AFL. Unfortunate really that McCartin can get 8 concussions or something and seemingly still be able to play but Clarke gets 1 and has to retire :'(
Perhaps I'm being cynical, but you'd reckon if players in McCartin's position (i.e. repeated concussions) had more going for them off the field as Justin Clarke did, they would do the sensible thing and retire, but I suspect most players don't, hence why they're trying to extract every cent they can out of their playing career.

Perhaps I'm being cynical, but you'd reckon if players in McCartin's position (i.e. repeated concussions) had more going for them off the field as Justin Clarke did, they would do the sensible thing and retire, but I suspect most players don't, hence why they're trying to extract every cent they can out of their playing career.
I can somewhat understand that, however at what point is your future health less important than money. He won't be thinking about money if he gets dementia in his later years.

Clarke's was a bit different - it affected the electrical signaling and there were clear major symptom every time he exercised at a significant level. It was very clear that there was no chance of continuing at Afl level, or any other sport at elite level (iirc he tried rowing but that didn't work out). he also talked about simply hitting his head on the hatch of his car and experiencing the concussion symptoms.

He did say that the doctors were very clear that he should never play a contact sport again. That apparently made it easier in a way as he didn't have to make the decision. He wasn't sure that he could choose to retire as he loved the game and he felt he would be letting his teammates and friends and fans down. Pretty heavy stuff for such a young man.

I watched the mcCartin clip and there really doesn't look like there is a lot in It - his head clipped the side of thechest of another player. Didn't look like any elbows or hard bone collisions. I thought he was out before he hit the ground. If he was my kid I'd want him to have at least a year off and hope like hell he found another career path during that year.

Clarke's was a bit different - it affected the electrical signaling and there were clear major symptom every time he exercised at a significant level. It was very clear that there was no chance of continuing at Afl level, or any other sport at elite level (iirc he tried rowing but that didn't work out). he also talked about simply hitting his head on the hatch of his car and experiencing the concussion symptoms.

He did say that the doctors were very clear that he should never play a contact sport again. That apparently made it easier in a way as he didn't have to make the decision. He wasn't sure that he could choose to retire as he loved the game and he felt he would be letting his teammates and friends and fans down. Pretty heavy stuff for such a young man.

I watched the mcCartin clip and there really doesn't look like there is a lot in It - his head clipped the side of thechest of another player. Didn't look like any elbows or hard bone collisions. I thought he was out before he hit the ground. If he was my kid I'd want him to have at least a year off and hope like hell he found another career path during that year.

If that's the case I shudder to think what might happen if he did cop an elbow to the head

McCartin should hang up the boots now. No doctor can guarantee he will be fine in 5-10 years. The soft contact causing this latest concussion is a big worry.

I was pretty shocked by great Jonathan Brown questioning yesterday McCartin resilience and that McCartin will be fine long-term. Obviously Brown himself took one too many hits to his head.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...d/news-story/1ecdc719b9dbd8b620210fae5b5b10bb

Remove this Banner Ad

Back