Non Lions Discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

McCartin should hang up the boots now. No doctor can guarantee he will be fine in 5-10 years. The soft contact causing this latest concussion is a big worry.

I was pretty shocked by great Jonathan Brown questioning yesterday McCartin resilience and that McCartin will be fine long-term. Obviously Brown himself took one too many hits to his head.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...d/news-story/1ecdc719b9dbd8b620210fae5b5b10bb

Enter the new rule...They have until March 15 to replace, retired or put him on the seriously injured. then the new rookie-list places, players must have previously nominated for the NAB AFL Draft, or had previously been on the list of an AFL club. Termed a pre-season supplemental selection.

The Saints would be looking for a suitable replacement...

Down the track the pressure will be on to get Ben King to join his brother Max at the Saints.

I was pretty shocked by great Jonathan Brown questioning yesterday McCartin resilience and that McCartin will be fine long-term. Obviously Brown himself took one too many hits to his head.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...d/news-story/1ecdc719b9dbd8b620210fae5b5b10bb
I saw that on AFL360, I don't think Jono Brown was having a go at McCartin, the way I read it was some guys can take a head knock and some guys are susceptible to them and more likely to get a concussion. More a comment on his biological makeup than a dig at his "toughness" was what I got out of it.

I saw that on AFL360, I don't think Jono Brown was having a go at McCartin, the way I read it was some guys can take a head knock and some guys are susceptible to them and more likely to get a concussion. More a comment on his biological makeup than a dig at his "toughness" was what I got out of it.
I did not watch it but quotes in the article are damning.

McCartin should hang up the boots now. No doctor can guarantee he will be fine in 5-10 years. The soft contact causing this latest concussion is a big worry.

Yeah - Thats poor form from JB. Back in my day we were tough and could are the hits so mcCartin should toughen up. Pretty disapointing read.

Context is everything. JB was questioning his ability to play being as he seems concussed easy. No questioning his toughness. If he is playing at CHF he needs to be able to take hits like that. If his body isnt up to it, he needs to do something about it. He does believe he will be fine long term though.

You here again sh!tstirring? Why don't you b@gger off back to your own board? Please.
Not stirring anything. It's an open thread. Just adding my views on concussion issue and noticed Brown made some unfortunate comments. If you got a problem with it bad luck. May be you could learn to tolerate different opinions. By the way I am also Lions fan.

Not stirring anything. It's an open thread. Just adding my views on concussion issue and noticed Brown made some unfortunate comments. If you got a problem with it bad luck. May be you could learn to tolerate different opinions. By the way I am also Lions fan.

It’s pretty obvious what Brown was really saying, even as much as the article tried to take him out of context.

By “resilience” he was talking about McCartin’s body just not being able to absorb the hits that come with the position he plays.

Don’t encourage clickbait media.

So the swans are sharing the SCG with the nrl and the rugby.
Oh and the cricket, Imagine if our old mate Kevin was the groundsman down there.
Planting seeds for the next cricket season.
groundsman to replace 3000m2 of turf.
Wouldn't be happy that not only did the rugby trash it on the weekend the Rugby league has the roosters playing home games there.
Imagine if the Broncos where trashing our field while they had there ground upgraded.

So the swans are sharing the SCG with the nrl and the rugby.
Oh and the cricket, Imagine if our old mate Kevin was the groundsman down there.
Planting seeds for the next cricket season.
groundsman to replace 3000m2 of turf.
Wouldn't be happy that not only did the rugby trash it on the weekend the Rugby league has the roosters playing home games there.
Imagine if the Broncos where trashing our field while they had there ground upgraded.
I'm sure this won't be last we hear of problems they have with the playing surface. Rugby tears the bjeezuz out of the turf and the throw the ball codes look to have a longer blade of grass so interesting times ahead.

I'm sure this won't be last we hear of problems they have with the playing surface. Rugby tears the bjeezuz out of the turf and the throw the ball codes look to have a longer blade of grass so interesting times ahead.
You could imagine there will be loose turf moving problems if they require patch work through the season.
Would of thought the Rugby League would have alternative venues considering they only get about 10000 if they are lucky.

Yep... the winter rains will add interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bulldogs are apparently wearing a 'Thor-inspired jumper' in Round 1:

It is legit one of the worst jumpers in any sporting code I've ever seen.

Noooooo. This is worse than the m&m's jumper the Blues wore. Seriously, that is so tacky. One of the coolest thing any team has going for it is history. Marketers try to reinvent the wheel. I wasn't a Fitzroy supporter but when the Lions wear the Fitzroy historical jumpers in Melbourne games, for me that is the best thing ever.

Context is everything. JB was questioning his ability to play being as he seems concussed easy. No questioning his toughness. If he is playing at CHF he needs to be able to take hits like that. If his body isnt up to it, he needs to do something about it. He does believe he will be fine long term though.
JB came across as a an idiot on 360. To say concussion and relisiance are the same thing is plainly a pretty stupid thing to claim. Now if he’d said that McCartin May be more susceptible to concussion the that’s different story.

It’s pretty obvious what Brown was really saying, even as much as the article tried to take him out of context.

By “resilience” he was talking about McCartin’s body just not being able to absorb the hits that come with the position he plays.

The problem is that’s not what Brown said, I like brown but this wasn’t his best work.

JB came across as a an idiot on 360. To say concussion and relisiance are the same thing is plainly a pretty stupid thing to claim. Now if he’d said that McCartin May be more susceptible to concussion the that’s different story.
Not to me he didn't, he may not have worded it absolutely perfectly but I was well aware of what he meant.

Not to me he didn't, he may not have worded it absolutely perfectly but I was well aware of what he meant.
He equated relisiance with concussion and then proceeded to say back in his and lyons day they would have kept playing. If that’s not a pretty dumb thing to say then I don’t know what is.

It’s that mentality that needs to change when it comes to concussion.

He equated relisiance with concussion and then proceeded to say back in his and lyons day they would have kept playing. If that’s not a pretty dumb thing to say then I don’t know what is.

It’s that mentality that needs to change when it comes to concussion.
I think Jono Brown would be well aware of the seriousness of concussion issues given his history.

When he was saying they would have kept on playing in his day I didn't think he was meaning that they were more courageous/tougher than today's players, IMO he was alluding to the fact that in hindsight they were "dumb" and not as well educated on head trauma so they would keep playing.

Maybe they were suffering from toxic masculinity back in the day.

Yeah - Thats poor form from JB. Back in my day we were tough and could are the hits so mcCartin should toughen up. Pretty disapointing read.

The St. Kilda bloke lacks awareness & therefore is a danger to himself & his team mates. I believe he simply not suited to Aussie Rules.
For mine Brown was pussyfooting around this point, therefor what he said simply came out wrong. I certainly got the impression from Brown he believes the bloke is in the wrong sport.

Hasn't everyone had a great bloke in their side who hit contests like a Kamikaze Pilot, no awareness, always gets injured & is the teams "most likely" to seriously injure a team mate?

Out of curiosity, is there anyone who watched it live and agrees that the comments were about McCartin's character?

Because I watched it live and it certainly didn't occur to me.

I think people might be so used to talking about mental resilience they've forgotten about physical resilience.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone who watched it live and agrees that the comments were about McCartin's character?

Because I watched it live and it certainly didn't occur to me.

I think people might be so used to talking about mental resilience they've forgotten about physical resilience.

His wording was convoluted, but was definitely referring to his brain’s resilience, not his mind’s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back