Non Lions Discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs won. They got a flag. Pick 6 was one of the guys that got punted in a cap discharge (Pickett?) after SOS's "brilliant" drafting.

When this came up tangentially the other day and I looked it up I couldn't believe how bad the 2014 draft was for GWS. Pickett, Marchbank and Ahern in the top 10 and probably the best of them Jack Steele at 24. All of them are gone within 5 years.

When this came up tangentially the other day and I looked it up I couldn't believe how bad the 2014 draft was for GWS. Pickett, Marchbank and Ahern in the top 10 and probably the best of them Jack Steele at 24. All of them are gone within 5 years.

SOS joined in 2011. Neville Stibbard ran the 17 year old selections and was largely involved in the 2011 draft before departing, at which point SOS took over full control...

2012 - 2 of 6 left.
2013 - 1 of 5.
2014 - 1 of 6.

Ouch. :( And doubly so when you consider the majority of those are first round picks.

SOS joined in 2011. Neville Stibbard ran the 17 year old selections and was largely involved in the 2011 draft before departing, at which point SOS took over full control...

2012 - 2 of 6 left.
2013 - 1 of 5.
2014 - 1 of 6.

Ouch. :( And doubly so when you consider the majority of those are first round picks.

That is incredibly bad.

Incidentally its weird that the Blues have been so bad at picking up cheap mature players, its not like SOS just traded for his own drafting mistakes at GWS or anything :think:

Boyd - $7m for seven years.
Franklin - $10m for nine years.

Bulldogs - don't have count Boyd's contract if he quits.
Swans - TRADE BAN!

:drunk::drunk::drunk:
On the main board people are saying it’s because Buddy was a Free agent signing so they gave up nothing to sign him, but the Bulldogs gave up picks. Boyd also appears to have agreed to have his salary reduced this year and then ceased next year which he didn’t have to do. Don’t know how accurate that is though, still seems like it should be counted to me.

Boyd also appears to have agreed to have his salary reduced this year and then ceased next year which he didn’t have to do. Don’t know how accurate that is though, still seems like it should be counted to me
the reduction appears to be true, but the AFL said that Buddy's contract would still be enforced back when he signed even if he later agreed to similar .

If Sydney has to pay Buddy indefinitely, surely the Bulldogs have to do the same with Boyd.
He’s retired and not being paid beyond what’s negotiated for this year.

Surely you don’t expect the AFL executive to be apply the rules with reason and consistency.

Surely you don’t expect the AFL executive to be apply the rules with reason and consistency.
Honestly? I don't. But I don't think that means we shouldn't point out their hypocrisy when they flaunt it. :D

I wonder if they would still need to pay out any of his remaining contract?
If Sydney has to pay Buddy indefinitely, surely the Bulldogs have to do the same with Boyd.
Boyd - $7m for seven years.
Franklin - $10m for nine years.

Bulldogs - don't have count Boyd's contract if he quits.
Swans - TRADE BAN!

:drunk::drunk::drunk:
Pretty sure I read Boyd is giving up future payments.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-16/bulldogs-flag-hero-boyd-announces-shock-retirement-at-just-23
Boyd and his manager Liam Pickering met with the Dogs on Thursday and have come to "a friendly resolution" for the remaining years of his lucrative contract.

He joined the Dogs on a seven-year, $7 million deal and was contracted with the club through to the end of 2021.

However, Boyd's payment in 2019 will be reduced, while agreed payments for the 2020 and 2021 seasons have been cancelled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So could Buddy if he retired, but...

The league ruled that the specific financial commitment for each year of the nine-season contract will count towards the Swans' salary cap, even if Franklin retires earlier and that the club has to present its books to the AFL every year.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...k=ce92d8d8f579f2e06b514f65ac7481b4-1558001659

I think it is specific to FA though - from memory the Hawks had to keep Vickery on the salary cap after he had retired. Boyd was a trade not a FA so they are fine with the re-negotiation. Buddy a RFA and they don't want people adding on years that won't be used to affect compo picks.

Not a great rationale for it of course but that would be their reasoning.

There's no real downside for us with tonights game. If the Dees lose, the melty goodness will bring a rose in every cheek. If they manage to defy the odds & win in the west then a team who is nipping at our heels gets a punch in the nose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back