Non Lions Discussion 2019

Last years result and its subsequent 2019 fixture is out of date as a reference point. After 20 rounds we can however judge this years performance and we stand up to being a top eight team.

So of the finals bound top eight and possible top eight we have the following:

Possible/probable top 4:
1st Geelong yet to play
3rd West Coast we Won
4th Richmond yet to play
Given WC was round 1 it is fair to say we are as yet relatively untested as a top four team this year. Our next two games will tell that story.

Possible/probable/might get lucky bottom 4
5 Collingwood we Lost
6 GWS we Won
7 Essendon lost
8 Port Won
9 Crows Won
10 Dogs Won
We have won against 4 of the 6 teams in this pool - we have definitely earn't finals position 5-8 team at worst.
And assuming Collingwood hold their spot but Essendon crash out two of Port, Crows and Dogs will make finals 5-8 positions, making us 3 wins v 1 loss in this group.

Which makes us four wins so far out of the top eight teams as per current, with wins yet to come in the next two rounds.

And as we all know finals are a different kind of competition and anything goes.

So Scott can go and shove that up his jumper and respect the fact that we have beaten teams from all sorts of fixture peculiarities to be deserved of a top eight placing and finals contenders.

Sheesh.

Last edited:

Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC
It is fact that we have had a bottom 6 draw. Scott is stating a fact & Im not sure why people get upset over this.

Doesn’t lessen our chances of winning this week, or dismiss an incredible improvement made in 2019.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It is fact that we have had a bottom 6 draw. Scott is stating a fact & Im not sure why people get upset over this.

Doesn’t lessen our chances of winning this week, or dismiss an incredible improvement made in 2019.
Don't think we should be upset, just bemused why he would make it his 1st comment. Can only work against him on the motivation front.

Aug 6, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Geelong lost to GWS at home. We beat them away.
Geelong lost to Port away. We beat them twice.
Geelong lost to the Bulldogs. We beat them once and should’ve capitalised on our dominance in the other game.
Geelong lost to Freo away by 34 points. We lost to them away by 1.

You can only beat the teams put in front of you and we’ve played better against all of the teams they’ve lost to this year. Doesn’t sound like such an easy draw.

Because it's intended as a dismissal, not in the larger context of what the club has achieved this year.

Against the potential finalists we're 6-3 (current top 10). Geelong is 7-3. I'm sorry, but that doesn't scream a significant enough difference to warrant dismissal based off draw. If you add in the mathematical chances of Hawthorn, Freo and the Saints we're 9-4 and Geelong is 9-5. Hmmm...

Geelong might roll us. Richmond might roll us. But at this stage we're playing and beating the top teams and that's why we're equal on points with Geelong.

Think that comment might be up on the white board come game day. It was a very calculated statement from him. Not sure why though.

Yep. It really came out of nowhere. It wasn't relevant to the question being asked.

Followed up by 'I can't even remember the last time we played Brisbane'.

Some sort of attempt at mind games, I suppose. I doubt Scott is so negligent as not to familiarise himself with the last contest against the team he's playing this weekend.

I have no time for Scott at all. What some people characterise as competitive spirit I call bad sportsmanship. He overrates his own team, underrates his opponents and blames everyone but himself for his losses including the umpires. To suggest he doesn't remember the last time we played them is not only disingenuous but intentionally insulting. Hope to God we beat them.

I have no time for Scott at all. What some people characterise as competitive spirit I call bad sportsmanship. He overrates his own team, underrates his opponents and blames everyone but himself for his losses including the umpires. To suggest he doesn't remember the last time we played them is not only disingenuous but intentionally insulting. Hope to God we beat them.
Not to mention disrespectful!

Ok, this draw stuff gets better and better on closer examination...

Every team plays every other team once, so you can roughly cancel that out.

Geelong's double up teams:
  • Adelaide (9th)
  • Western Bulldogs (10th)
  • Hawthorn (11th)
  • North Melbourne (14th)
  • Sydney (15th)
That's not a particularly fierce looking set of teams, but on top of that...

Our double up teams:
  • Port Adelaide (8th)
  • Hawthorn (11th)
  • North Melbourne (14th)
  • Gold Coast (18th)
Notice anything similar? Three of the teams are identical, Port Adelaide and Adelaide are close enough to cancel each other out IMO (and that's taking away from our draw), so the main difference is playing a second game against 15th or 18th.

That's worth an emoji: :tearsofjoy:.

Gee, Geelong got an easy draw for someone who made finals last year!

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Because it's intended as a dismissal, not in the larger context of what the club has achieved this year.

Against the potential finalists we're 6-3 (current top 10). Geelong is 7-3. I'm sorry, but that doesn't scream a significant enough difference to warrant dismissal based off draw. If you add in the mathematical chances of Hawthorn, Freo and the Saints we're 9-4 and Geelong is 9-5. Hmmm...

Geelong might roll us. Richmond might roll us. But at this stage we're playing and beating the top teams and that's why we're equal on points with Geelong.

It was weird especially because it’s been a comparably long time since any of Geelong, West Coast or Richmond played a top-4 side.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
lets turn those comments of Scotts around just for fun.....

....he said them knowing it will fire up his beloved Lions (you know, loyalty to old club and all that) and they (us) will come out spitting chips.

Giving us a head start, hoping we :poo: on his silly little pussies!;):D

:$I've got the flu....perhaps its addled my brain!

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ok, this draw stuff gets better and better on closer examination...

Every team plays every other team once, so you can roughly cancel that out.

Geelong's double up teams:
  • Adelaide (9th)
  • Hawthorn (11th)
  • North Melbourne (14th)
  • Sydney (15th)
That's not a particularly fierce looking set of teams, but on top of that...

Our double up teams:
  • Port Adelaide (8th)
  • Hawthorn (11th)
  • North Melbourne (14th)
  • Gold Coast (18th)
Notice anything similar? Three of the teams are identical, Port Adelaide and Adelaide are close enough to cancel each other out IMO (and that's taking away from our draw), so the main difference is playing a second game against 15th or 18th.

That's worth an emoji: :tearsofjoy:.

Gee, Geelong got an easy draw for someone who made finals last year!

...so there Scotty boy, go stick those figures up your Funk and Wagnall!!

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
Chris is very much the Serena Williams of the AFL coaching fraternity.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Geelong lost to GWS at home. We beat them away.
Geelong lost to Port away. We beat them twice.
Geelong lost to the Bulldogs. We beat them once and should’ve capitalised on our dominance in the other game.
Geelong lost to Freo away by 34 points. We lost to them away by 1.

You can only beat the teams put in front of you and we’ve played better against all of the teams they’ve lost to this year. Doesn’t sound like such an easy draw.
Let's face facts , bottom teams never get the credit they deserve when they beat top sides on their rise up the ladder, never going to change.

It's such a tight competition bar the Gold Coast and Melb, and we only play Gold coast twice, no gimme games apart from them, hypothetically speaking.
Before a ball was bounced, it was considered a tough start for us , and we exceeded all expectations to get the first three wins .
We go on to beat Gws and Port, both away I might add, that should of put all doubts aside whether we were a top 8? ,6 or 4 team.

Chris Scott is a Lion legend but he is a philosophical whinger. Love him and hate him.
We should smack these guys , they are yesterdays heroes and have some of the the biggest sooks in the land.

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't know why Geelong would be going with that logic it's not like they have been playing with any real superiority recently and if anything tells the players the coach doesn't rate the oponext as highly as the cats do.

Are we supposed to think they are coming up to have it their way. Good luck. I honestly can't wait to hear the crowd I reckon it will be amazing and will be one of the best contests of the year. My admiration for the mental strength and pride for this group is that high I don't see us letting anyone but Richmond or West Coast getting near us for the rest of this year and I look forward to reading that in the paper on Sunday moring

Go LIONS!!

Is Chris Scott the most disliked of our premiership era players?

Not me; I like Chris Scott.

I like him too actually. He represents his club very effectively. He doesn't owe us anything.

Back