Non Lions Discussion 2019

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ok, this draw stuff gets better and better on closer examination...

Every team plays every other team once, so you can roughly cancel that out.

Geelong's double up teams:
  • Adelaide (9th)
  • Western Bulldogs (10th)
  • Hawthorn (11th)
  • North Melbourne (14th)
  • Sydney (15th)
That's not a particularly fierce looking set of teams, but on top of that...

Our double up teams:
  • Port Adelaide (8th)
  • Western Bulldogs (10th)
  • Hawthorn (11th)
  • North Melbourne (14th)
  • Gold Coast (18th)
Notice anything similar? Three of the teams are identical, Port Adelaide and Adelaide are close enough to cancel each other out IMO (and that's taking away from our draw), so the main difference is playing a second game against 15th or 18th.

That's worth an emoji: :tearsofjoy:.

Gee, Geelong got an easy draw for someone who made finals last year!

New variant of this - BT on the Superfooty podcast declared that none of the 8 teams we have beaten post-bye are any good, so it doesn't count.

By comparison, here is who Geelong has played for in the last 8 weeks for a 4-4 record: Port (loss, we beat em), Adelaide, Dogs (loss, we beat em), Saints, Hawthorn (loss, we beat em), Sydney, Freo (loss), Norf.

:tearsofjoy:

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Poor old Hadley would be the most forgotten premiership player from our 3 teams. Did very little after the premiership, in fact did very little during his 3 game dream run.
Shattock would have to be up there as well. Zero stats in our 2002 (?) flag then traded to Port where he further faded into obscurity.

Aaron Shattock?
I remember Shattock as one of the most vanilla players in our premierships.

I remember Hadley as screwing us over after we'd stuck with him for years of injury as an early pioneer of the "trade me for less or the PSD" tactic.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There has been discussion down here about Adelaide possibly getting rid of Eddie Betts and some others to get some younger ones in etc.....anyhoo, was said that a number of clubs including Carlton and SUNS are interested and circling Eddie, with Carlton the forerunners.......I don't think so! Would you go back to a workplace that had got rid of you? I wouldn't, not for all the tea in China!

I'm putting it here now that if he does leave I believe he will/should go to GC ..... never underestimate the power of friendships. We've proven that with the success of some of our boys having friendships within the club or in area..

Eddie has strong ties with a couple of our boys...Charlie, MRobbo. Eddie might just like being out of the fishbowls of Adelaide and Melbourne and being up a lot closer to some friends and a bit of lovely Qld weather. Also would be a good mentor to younger lads, particularly any indigenous boys that come through the ranks......a job that GC would be wise to look for someone to come in and do.

If Eddie is there.....well, what a life after playing footy but still involved and in the best part of the world.

Aug 6, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Carlton didn’t get rid of Eddie did they?

I thought they just couldn’t compete with the contract Adelaide offered him?

Adelaide offered a lot more, but then Carlton went on to blow 700k a year on Thomas.

Carlton didn’t get rid of Eddie did they?

I thought they just couldn’t compete with the contract Adelaide offered him?
They massively underoffered him. Adelaide (and NM) offered ~$500k per year for four years whereas Carlton only offered between less than $400k per year for three years, one year after he was their leading goal kicker and 2nd in the B&F.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I really don't know , except what I've heard spoken by callers on radio over the years and just general talk. Blues fans have never been happy he was let go......what you say may well be true but if he wanted to stay he might be a bit annoyed they didn't match it.

I think what is missing from the Lions-haven't-beaten-anyone-worthwhile discussion is that there were teams who were considered worthwhile up until we played them but after we broke them they fell down the ladder ... some encounters just leave scars!

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
There has been discussion down here about Adelaide possibly getting rid of Eddie Betts and some others to get some younger ones in etc.....anyhoo, was said that a number of clubs including Carlton and SUNS are interested and circling Eddie, with Carlton the forerunners.......I don't think so! Would you go back to a workplace that had got rid of you? I wouldn't, not for all the tea in China!

I'm putting it here now that if he does leave I believe he will/should go to GC ..... never underestimate the power of friendships. We've proven that with the success of some of our boys having friendships within the club or in area..

Eddie has strong ties with a couple of our boys...Charlie, MRobbo. Eddie might just like being out of the fishbowls of Adelaide and Melbourne and being up a lot closer to some friends and a bit of lovely Qld weather. Also would be a good mentor to younger lads, particularly any indigenous boys that come through the ranks......a job that GC would be wise to look for someone to come in and do.

If Eddie is there.....well, what a life after playing footy but still involved and in the best part of the world.
Plenty of players have gone back to their original club after years elsewhere; Trent Croad, Chris Tarrant, Gary Ablett, Paul Salmon, Dayne Beams, Warwick Capper and Josh Carr automatically spring to mind so don’t discount Eddie going back to Carlton.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He may well go back to Carlton, but at this stage of his career, I just feel he might like to be able to go where he likes for a change, not somewhere he had to go to keep and have that career...

..and what a way to finish up, up there on the GC close to friends just up the road and a lovely lifestyle.

...ah bliss!

We'll see, might not happen any of it knowing the media down here.

I remember Shattock as one of the most vanilla players in our premierships.

I remember Hadley as screwing us over after we'd stuck with him for years of injury as an early pioneer of the "trade me for less or the PSD" tactic.
Have you forgotten...the original go home or I go in the draft... emotional resilience of a rabbit... and to think he actually ended up coaching young men... mind boggles.

Have you forgotten...the original go home or I go in the draft... emotional resilience of a rabbit... and to think he actually ended up coaching young men... mind boggles.
View attachment 726236
Taken in same draft as Lukey Power - the contrast couldn't be more starke.

View attachment 726236
Was referring to the "get less in a trade", not the "literally get nothing because they go through the PSD" because that was pulled a few times over the years.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's clearly Aker.

Loved him on-field but one of the biggest dickheads in recent footy memory - leaked stories to the press constantly while playing (including in the week before the 03 grand final), blew up his relationship with Leigh leading to an ignominious exit at the end of 06, and numerous unsavoury media comments since. I don't hate him and still love watching his highlights, but easily my most disliked triple premiership player.

Mal Michael lied about retiring and then did nothing for a season (or two?) at the bombers. While annoying, not the biggest offence.

Back