Non Lions Discussion 2019

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What does everyone reckon about melb st kilda carlton this year?

Saints will miss Bruce big time and I don't see them getting up the ladder much further

Melbourne with a fit lever and may and a rocket should do something again

Blues might have a year something in between our 2018 and 19 but I think one of their talls is already injured so who knows

Slower older crapper teams like gold Coast geelong and north in that order will get punished this year

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

Saints will miss Bruce big time and I don't see them getting up the ladder much further

Blues might have a year something in between our 2018 and 19 but I think one of their talls is already injured so who knows

Slower older crapper teams like gold Coast geelong and north in that order will get punished this year
mmm Gold Coast may not be that slow next year.

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
mmm Gold Coast may not be that slow next year.
They should improve for sure and have a better run with injuries. Just having a dig because of how noncompetitive they were for large parts of this year. Im interested where do you see the speed and competitiveness coming from?

Trying to analyse it there are guys as good as ellis on their list already who don't get the same laudits because the team doesn't function like the tigers and I don't know if he is the answer to much for them. Also if Greenwood was going to be a massive boon for their midfield/ forward line we would've got him as we entered our window but we passed on him.

With rankine fit, king improvement and hopefully for them more pressure and a greater spread of goalkickers, they should be more dangerous, but they didnt kick more than 10 goals a game for most of the year so they have a lot of work to do. Do the two first picks come straight in to add the speed? That's a lot of pressure straight up and a hot first preseason to get through, are they going to be the difference.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
They should improve for sure and have a better run with injuries. Just having a dig because of how noncompetitive they were for large parts of this year. Im interested where do you see the speed and competitiveness coming from?

Trying to analyse it there are guys as good as ellis on their list already who don't get the same laudits because the team doesn't function like the tigers and I don't know if he is the answer to much for them. Also if Greenwood was going to be a massive boon for their midfield/ forward line we would've got him as we entered our window but we passed on him.

With rankine fit, king improvement and hopefully for them more pressure and a greater spread of goalkickers, they should be more dangerous, but they didnt kick more than 10 goals a game for most of the year so they have a lot of work to do. Do the two first picks come straight in to add the speed? That's a lot of pressure straight up and a hot first preseason to get through, are they going to be the difference.
My first thought was Rankine, Greenwood and Ellis coming in adds speed to the contest, a wing and forward flank. Noah Anderson adds burst and power as an inside outside mid, and Rowell isn’t slow. And we don’t know who else they draft.

We reportedly ended our interest in Greenwood when he was asking for more money than we were willing to pay.

If there’s one kid in this years draft who will stand up under pressure, it’s Rowell. Anderson is the kid that might take two or three preseasons to develop consistency in his game.

I’m not convinced yet by Stewie Dew, and they need to sort their injury issues.

My first thought was Rankine, Greenwood and Ellis coming in adds speed to the contest, a wing and forward flank. Noah Anderson adds burst and power as an inside outside mid, and Rowell isn’t slow. And we don’t know who else they draft.

We reportedly ended our interest in Greenwood when he was asking for more money than we were willing to pay.

If there’s one kid in this years draft who will stand up under pressure, it’s Rowell. Anderson is the kid that might take two or three preseasons to develop consistency in his game.

I could see GC winning 6-7 games this year and being much more consistent for all reasons as you have noted.
They need to start showing consistency and being more regularly competitive to sell the future for the young fellas.

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Thanks for your insights, king committing must say a little bit about the respect for Dew, he's been given a lot of assistance, I genuinely hope they take a strong step in the right direction, these teams hanging around the bottom has become boring as a spectator

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Despite all the trade period hype the Saints look like an 8-11 win to me. Feels like they shuffled the deck chairs but didn't really improve meaningfully - hill is a great player, but feel he's more the cream rather than the cake, and as you noted I reckon losing bruce is going to hurt them a lot.

I actually have north tipped as a likely finalist next year, I reckon their play style should be resilient enough that they can beat weaker or less consistent / hard teams on a pretty regular basis. Don't know whether it'll be as effective against top teams, but I suspect they're right there come finals time

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Unfortunately it may be time for the Blues to resurrect themselves but I hope not coz they have been prxx in the past but appear to have a good young group and with Docherty back this season he should steady the ship. I am a big fan of Kreuzer if he can stay injury free. Cripps annihilated last game omg.

Last edited:
Despite all the trade period hype the Saints look like an 8-11 win to me. Feels like they shuffled the deck chairs but didn't really improve meaningfully - hill is a great player, but feel he's more the cream rather than the cake, and as you noted I reckon losing bruce is going to hurt them a lot.

I actually have north tipped as a likely finalist next year, I reckon their play style should be resilient enough that they can beat weaker or less consistent / hard teams on a pretty regular basis. Don't know whether it'll be as effective against top teams, but I suspect they're right there come finals time

I reckon you're going easy on the Saints. Nine wins flattered them in 2019 and I'd be very surprising if they got near that tally in 2020. A lot depends on how some of the other teams go above them, to be fair.

They have problems pretty much across the ground, and the midfield in particular looks terribly shallow.

I'm much more bullish on Brad Hill's former club than his new one.

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I reckon you're going easy on the Saints. Nine wins flattered them in 2019 and I'd be very surprising if they got near that tally in 2020. A lot depends on how some of the other teams go above them, to be fair.

They have problems pretty much across the ground, and the midfield in particular looks terribly shallow.

I'm much more bullish on Brad Hill's former club than his new one.

I reckon the saints will catch a few teams off guard early in the year before they're scouted. To be honest I'm picturing a repeat of last season, though hopefully they can add another hysterical emergency meeting after a round 3 loss like they did in 2018.

I like the dockers too. Main thing is whether their talls are able to stay on the oval, if they can they could be dangerous

Last edited:

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Saints lost Steven who was good when he was on the park too. They have struggled with accuracy and consistency, I hope Ratten goes well but they have given up alot to be not really in front or ahead of most teams.

I'll have to take another look at what north are doing. Tbh I don't really pay attention to them because I know that it's an afl conspiracy that we just get free kicks and beat them every time.

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Unfortunately it may be time for the Blues to resurrect themselves but I hope not coz they have been prxx in the past but appear to have a good young group and with Docherty back this season he should steady the ship. I am a big fan of Kreuzer if he can stay injury free. Cripps annihilated last game omg.
I hope it's at the expense of hawks and or geelong, ideally geelong. The Blues youth look like they've returned fit and raring, I think theyll be the biggest improves ahead of gc demons saints north and maybe swans n freo

I hope it's at the expense of hawks and or geelong, ideally geelong. The Blues youth look like they've returned fit and raring, I think theyll be the biggest improves ahead of gc demons saints north and maybe swans n freo

Reckon the dogs will be significant improvers.

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Reckon the dogs will be significant improvers.
Agree 100%. But they made the 8. They have improved at both ends which is what they were crying out for, and were missing/carrying injured Daniel who I think is critical or at least very important to their goals generated from defensive 50 when they got knocked out against GWS

Agree 100%. But they made the 8. They have improved at both ends which is what they were crying out for, and were missing/carrying injured Daniel who I think is critical or at least very important to their goals generated from defensive 50 when they got knocked out against GWS

Made the 8 I guess but unconvincingly, despite some really impressive performances, and got belted in their final. I think they'll be a serious contender next year. Midfield is in the conversation for best in the league, added the quality key back the needed and have a genuine forward to complement Naughton who looks like a major prospect. Throw in young guns English and Smith will get another year older and more developed. Wouldn't be surprised to see them be top 4. Though when you look back at Dees last year to this year who knows?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Made the 8 I guess but unconvincingly, despite some really impressive performances, and got belted in their final. I think they'll be a serious contender next year. Midfield is in the conversation for best in the league, added the quality key back the needed and have a genuine forward to complement Naughton who looks like a major prospect. Throw in young guns English and Smith will get another year older and more developed. Wouldn't be surprised to see them be top 4. Though when you look back at Dees last year to this year who knows?
Just re-signed Schache to a new contract as well.

Just re-signed Schache to a new contract as well.

Yeah, can now play the extra leading tall like Tom lynch. Role that will suit him well. It's a good tall forward group. Needs some genuine small forwards but they can rest their mids their and you'd think now that they have three legitimate talls Bont can be full time mid which boosts them even more.

Back