Non Lions Discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I hardly think our “help” was anything remotely like what Gold Coast, particularly after waiting nigh on 7-8 years for it.
didnt know it was a tit for tat..sorry.
Seriously, who cares what level of help we got compared to what Gold Coast is now receiving? The fact is they are a basket case and need intervention from the AFL to bring them up to a standard thats competitive.

Fantastic for GWS!
Great decision, especially after turning his back on Free Agency.

Hell be a great captain, but I must admit I feel a bit sad for Phil Davis and especially cal ward after he wasn't able to play in his last year of the captaincy. Both have been great leaders for the club and even though the giants are only my (distant) second team this change is very bitter-sweet

Hell be a great captain, but I must admit I feel a bit sad for Phil Davis and especially cal ward after he wasn't able to play in his last year of the captaincy. Both have been great leaders for the club and even though the giants are only my (distant) second team this change is very bitter-sweet
I don’t see them as the type to up and run away like Rocky and Beams have done?
So he will still have them there as sounding boards when required.

I don’t see them as the type to up and run away like Rocky and Beams have done?
So he will still have them there as sounding boards when required.

Yeah you're right, club men through and through with cal being a sure shot member of the coaching staff when the time comes. Still, can't help but feel sad for them given they still have more to give and, as chopper duck observed, this may be partially driven by an accelerated succession timeline to retain cogs.

Still, great for cogs and the team. One of my favourite non-lions players and can't wait to see how the change works out in every round but round 20

didnt know it was a tit for tat..sorry.
Seriously, who cares what level of help we got compared to what Gold Coast is now receiving? The fact is they are a basket case and need intervention from the AFL to bring them up to a standard thats competitive.

In a way, I do care. I don’t have great love for the suns at all. This may also be due to the fact that I live in Vic and don’t really have a connection with them like some Queenslanders may. We were basically forgotten about when the expansion teams came in. Suffering near the bottom for basically a decade with minimal assistance and the AFL simply didn’t seem to care. We did however, FINALLY get the best assistance possible, with Fages, Nobes and co. arriving at the club, but it took a bloody long time. As fatcat said, we were the AFL’s lesson and to be honest, that really annoys me. Why/How did it take them that long to finally step in and give us some help? I am happy for the suns and their supporters that they have received such a generous package, but I’m also jealous and scared that they may have been gifted a super team in the next 4-5 years. Time will tell I suppose. Don’t want to rant, but just trying to give a different perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In a way, I do care. I don’t have great love for the suns at all. This may also be due to the fact that I live in Vic and don’t really have a connection with them like some Queenslanders may. We were basically forgotten about when the expansion teams came in. Suffering near the bottom for basically a decade with minimal assistance and the AFL simply didn’t seem to care. We did however, FINALLY get the best assistance possible, with Fages, Nobes and co. arriving at the club, but it took a bloody long time. As fatcat said, we were the AFL’s lesson and to be honest, that really annoys me. Why/How did it take them that long to finally step in and give us some help? I am happy for the suns and their supporters that they have received such a generous package, but I’m also jealous and scared that they may have been gifted a super team in the next 4-5 years. Time will tell I suppose. Don’t want to rant, but just trying to give a different perspective.

Your perspective is valid.

Unless the Suns really screw it up again, they have the talent to really build if not a super team, then one that is going to be scary good perhaps sooner than later.

My perception of Phil Davis changed after the granny. I wouldn't use the word "selfish" but in my eyes he couldn't take the emotion out and objectively review his physical condition. His readiness to play on that day vs stepping aside and letting O'Keefe take that spot was one of the big factors on how the game panned out for GWS. It was uncertain even 90 minutes before bounce which is really unfair on the rest of the group.

Could replacing Phil provided any relief in controlling Jack Reiwoldt ? we never know. But they were down a man straight after the first bounce it screwed their chances from the get go. Phil lowered his colors on leadership there for me.

I watch GWS a lot as they're local and on tv, I do have a soft spot for them. The way the whole Granny build up went on still annoys me. On that note, I appreciate what Coniglio did for their club. He was happy to put his hand up by wednesday or earlier to say he won't be playing.

Last edited:
My perception of Phil Davis changed after the granny. I wouldn't use the word "selfish" but in my eyes he couldn't take the emotion out and objectively review his physical condition. His readiness to play on that day vs stepping aside and letting O'Keefe take that spot was one of the big factors on how the game panned out for GWS. It was uncertain even 90 minutes before bounce which is really unfair on the rest of the group.

Could replacing Phil provided any relief in controlling Jack Reiwoldt ? we never know. But they were down a man straight after the first bounce it screwed their chances from the get go. Phil lowered his colors on leadership there for me.

I watch GWS a lot as they're local and on tv, I do have a soft spot for them. The way the whole Granny build up went on still annoys me. On that note, I appreciate what Coniglio did for their club. He was happy to put his hand up by wednesday or earlier to say he won't be playing.

I feel like phil Davis playing probably more reflected something about the culture of the club rather than necessarily just himself given they also had Matt de boer and Lachie Whitfield out there, both of whom were definitely not fit to play. The refusal to make the decision to keep players out who aren't match fit is probably a big factor in why they have such a shocking injury record literally every season.

Which of course makes cogs decision to pull himself out because he wasn't match fit even more impressive. Definitely looks like hell be a great captain for them

Scott Clayton to Norf as their new list manager...Lions/Suns/Eagles - is he actually any good or has he gone off the boil?
Been off the boil for about twenty years, unless you're someone who really appreciates skinny flankers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been off the boil for about twenty years, unless you're someone who really appreciates skinny flankers.

Does North currently have a dearth of said skinny flanking types ... if so he might just balance the list and look good for a few years!

If not they are, of course, even more doomed than they were beforehand ...

Does North currently have a dearth of said skinny flanking types ... if so he might just balance the list and look good for a few years!

If not they are, of course, even more doomed than they were beforehand ...
They will improve as they now have our boy Walker.
Good to see he eventually found another club.

They will improve as they now have our boy Walker.
Good to see he eventually found another club.

Yeah I am really happy that Walks got another chance. Imo he should slot into their 22. I was surprised when we let him go as he played some really solid football in 2018/19. He is also a genuinely nice bloke, so it kills me to say this about a Norf player, but hope he has all the success in the world come his way.

Lachie Whitfield locked away on a 7 year deal by GWS...surely this is changing the industry landscape for our players like Clugga as well.

While I'd prefer 5 to mitigate injury risk, I wouldn't have a problem with locking clugga in for 7 years. He's a star and will be for many, many years so it would be great to not have to read about some southern club trying to poach him

Lachie Whitfield locked away on a 7 year deal by GWS...surely this is changing the industry landscape for our players like Clugga as well.

Just as relevant, every guy they sign has to make Williams more attainable and we’re well stocked for draft picks to trade next year.

Just as relevant, every guy they sign has to make Williams more attainable and we’re well stocked for draft picks to trade next year.

If Williams main motivation was money then you're right. If he wants to play in a successful team then these players re-signing might make him more likely to re-sign.

If Williams main motivation was money then you're right. If he wants to play in a successful team then these players re-signing might make him more likely to re-sign.

To the latter point, I think Williams is from regional nsw and came up through the giants academy, barracking for them when he was a teenager. Not saying its the be all and end all but he has got some pretty strong connections to the club which may make it hard to move him

I think we have just as much chance at the ultimate success over the next 5 years or so as the Giants, here's hoping a bit more money might sway him, would be a great get.

To the latter point, I think Williams is from regional nsw and came up through the giants academy, barracking for them when he was a teenager. Not saying its the be all and end all but he has got some pretty strong connections to the club which may make it hard to move him

Regional boys seem to feel very much at home in Brissy, and don't forget the Fagan factor that's at least a +4 desirability stat. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back