Non-lions discussion 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine not showing up to work for a few years and still getting paid...
Yep, l don't get it. Doesn't it require mutual oblgations. Coll pay him and Beams has to train and actively look to play. If he doesn't turn up to train and has effectively retired, why should he get any money. Whats to stop Grundy retiring right now and getting free money for 5/6 years for doing nothing and then come out of retirement in the last year to get another contract?

Yep, l don't get it. Doesn't it require mutual oblgations. Coll pay him and Beams has to train and actively look to play. If he doesn't turn up to train and has effectively retired, why should he get any money. Whats to stop Grundy retiring right now and getting free money for 5/6 years for doing nothing and then come out of retirement in the last year to get another contract?
Beams will have retired on medical grounds, a bit different from abandoning your job.

Mental illness is a medical condition. No different from a hamstring injury or a broken arm as far as the rules go. Club wears the risk.

Who are these big free agents they’re going tor next year? Surely they can’t expect to get a Bont or Cripps. Maybe Kelly?

FWIW, During trade week, a caller rang in on SEN to report that Buckley's right-hand man, Brenton Sanderson, was spotted having a coffee with Tex Walker...Dwayne put it down to ex-coach and player catching up... I say "let Bogans...be Bogans".. Buckleys Pies have a history of picking up old forwards..Quinton Lynch as an unrestricted free agent springs to mind...Next year, Walker is an unrestricted free agent and at 34 wouldn't imagine him being at the Crows. Given the Pies cap woes, and their ability to extend the truth... they could pick Walker up for a song...."sing a song of sixpence"

Last edited:
FWIW, During trade week, a caller rang in on SEN to report that Buckley's right-hand man, Brenton Sanderson, was spotted having a coffee with Tex Walker...Dwayne put it down to ex-coach and player catching up... I say "let Bogans...be Bogans".. Buckleys Pies have a history of picking up old forwards..Quinton Lynch as an unrestricted free agent springs to mind...Next year, Walker is an unrestricted free agent and at 34 wouldn't imagine him being at the Crows. Given the Pies cap woes, and their ability to extend the truth... they could pick Walker up for a song...."sing a song of sixpence"
They are talking about the chance of a short window for another trade period soonish????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly would be an interesting test case that would piss the AFL off no end, hope they do and Collingwood gets smashed for bringing the competition into disrepute.

Walker wouldn't kick a goal in my son's under 9 team. He is the definition of cooked.

Yes he would. He would dominate the under 9's.
Just his height alone - pop him in the goal square and kick it long all day. Basically Lynchy, if his opponent was only four foot tall.

Now the one I want to see against the U9s is Stevie Baker. Although I guess technically that's child abuse at that age level.

Wasn't sure where to post this, but thought you'd all get a kick out of it, particularly in light of what happened over at the Pies during trade period.

My brother and his mate (a Pies fan) were out at a club where plenty of Lions players were about a few weeks back. They spoke to Hipwood who apparently said something along the lines of 'the Pies are a good club, but Nathan Buckley is an arsehole who doesn't give a stuff about his players'.

That was, at least, my brother's recollection of it. He was probably quite refreshed as the convo went down.

Wasn't sure where to post this, but thought you'd all get a kick out of it, particularly in light of what happened over at the Pies during trade period.

My brother and his mate (a Pies fan) were out at a club where plenty of Lions players were about a few weeks back. They spoke to Hipwood who apparently said something along the lines of 'the Pies are a good club, but Nathan Buckley is an arsehole who doesn't give a stuff about his players'.

That was, at least, my brother's recollection of it. He was probably quite refreshed as the convo went down.
Soooo just like when he played?

New rules in play next year.
Some were flagged but one being introduced in the new VFL comp will have an impact on the two's implementing the seniors game plan

"The AFL will also trial a new rule in its new east-coast state-league competition in 2021 that will require teams to reset into zones.
At every boundary throw-in, kick-in and centre bounce, three pairs of players will be required in each zone, according to The Age’s Michael Gleeson.
The rule trialling is an attempt to reduce congestion around the ball."
Interchanges down from 90 to 75 + others

I assume the AFL will put out a video explaining a couple of these changes.

Regarding this one

"A 50m penalty will imposed on players who move outside a one meter “level of tolerance” laterally off the mark before ‘play on’ has been called."
I hope it means:
The umpire sets the mark
The player on the mark has only 1 meter tolerance left/right/ of that mark.

So NO more moving 5 to 7 meters to the left of the mark to cut off the kicker trying to go via the middle of the ground.
Also happens when players kicking for goal the marker goes way off the mark so they can come directly in towards kicker when he runs around the mark
Laterally
adverb
  1. 1.
    at, towards, or from the side or sides; sideways.
    "use slide steps to move laterally"

2. 2.
    BRITISH
    in a way that involves lateral thinking.
    "think laterally about new ways of using limited resources"

I assume the AFL will put out a video explaining a couple of these changes.

Regarding this one

"A 50m penalty will imposed on players who move outside a one meter “level of tolerance” laterally off the mark before ‘play on’ has been called."
I hope it means:
The umpire sets the mark
The player on the mark has only 1 meter tolerance left/right/ of that mark.

So NO more moving 5 to 7 meters to the left of the mark to cut off the kicker trying to go via the middle of the ground.
Also happens when players kicking for goal the marker goes way off the mark so they can come directly in towards kicker when he runs around the mark
Laterally
adverb
  1. 1.
    at, towards, or from the side or sides; sideways.
    "use slide steps to move laterally"

2. 2.
    BRITISH
    in a way that involves lateral thinking.
    "think laterally about new ways of using limited resources"

Interesting rule changes. Teams that try to strangle the game and play a heavy structure / system type plan are certainly disadvantaged.

Awesome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back