Non-lions discussion 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting rule changes. Teams that try to strangle the game and play a heavy structure / system type plan are certainly disadvantaged.

Awesome.
Rule changes don't always go the way the AFL/coaches/fans think. Only time will tell
I actually like all the changes for the seniors
Hopefully interchanges get reduced again in 2022
The kick in after a behind rule introduced in 2020 did not produce the desired outcome.
The extra five meters hopefully stops the small kick to the pocket which players still continued to do but not as much as 2019.
Regarding the man on the mark new rule. Below is the existing rule. So reduced from 10 meters to 1.5 meters.

20. DISPOSAL AFTER MARK OR FREE KICK

20.1 STANDING THE MARK AND THE PROTECTED AREA
20.1.1 Standing The Mark When a Player is awarded a Mark or Free Kick, one Player from the opposing Team may:
(a) stand on The Mark;
(b) move along a lateral line to the Protected Area defined in Law 20.1.2 without advancing beyond The Mark; or
(c) otherwise be directed by a field Umpire.
For the avoidance of doubt, all other Players from the opposing Team must be positioned behind The Mark or otherwise outside the Protected Area defined in Law 20.1.
20.1.2 Protected Area (a) The Protected Area after a Player is awarded a Mark or Free Kick is a corridor which extends from ten metres either side of The Mark to ten metres either side of, and five metre arc behind, the Player with the football, as illustrated in Diagram 4.
(b) No Player shall enter and remain in the Protected Area unless the field Umpire calls ‘Play On’ or the Player from the opposing Team is accompanying or following within two metres of their opponent. Any Player caught in the Protected Area must make every endeavour to immediately vacate the Protected Area.
Sorry can't copy the diagram 4. which helps explain the text

What is not explained is will the protected area be reduced accordingly.

I don’t think this will affect us that much. From memory, we rarely get that close to 90 changes a game anyway - even when quarters are 20 mins plus time on. The extra time after goals are scored must help midfielders as well. There is probably some way to check our average for the year - would be interesting to see how it varied across the 18 clubs in 2020 and 2019.

I don’t think this will affect us that much. From memory, we rarely get that close to 90 changes a game anyway - even when quarters are 20 mins plus time on. The extra time after goals are scored must help midfielders as well. There is probably some way to check our average for the year - would be interesting to see how it varied across the 18 clubs in 2020 and 2019.
I don't think 75 interchanges will affect any team in the competition no matter what style of footy they play
When coaches stop taking off players when they kick a goal we are getting closer to a possible fatigue factor that might open up the game.
The mentioned reduction to 60 in 2022 is where we may see some fatigue effecting the players
With reduced time played this year i doubt any team came close to the 90 average in 2020.
Lions & Geelong season interchange averages up to and including the PF in 2020
Lions: 68
Cats.: 75
More reliable is the 2019 season interchange averages up to and including round 23 for the whole competition

Total season average was 82
Each Club

Lions 83Dogs 82Eagles 81Pies 81Swans 83Roos 80Cats 83Suns 84Port 81
Tigers 81Crows 83Hawks 80Dons 83Saints 82Demons 81Blues 83Giants 81Dockers 84

I don't think 75 interchanges will affect any team in the competition no matter what style of footy they play
When coaches stop taking off players when they kick a goal we are getting closer to a possible fatigue factor that might open up the game.
The mentioned reduction to 60 in 2022 is where we may see some fatigue effecting the players
With reduced time played this year i doubt any team came close to the 90 average in 2020.
Lions & Geelong season interchange averages up to and including the PF in 2020
Lions: 68
Cats.: 75
More reliable is the 2019 season interchange averages up to and including round 23 for the whole competition

Total season average was 82
Each Club

Lions 83Dogs 82Eagles 81Pies 81Swans 83Roos 80Cats 83Suns 84Port 81
Tigers 81Crows 83Hawks 80Dons 83Saints 82Demons 81Blues 83Giants 81Dockers 84
Great work Section 5!

It will be interesting to see how the proposed dropped to 60 in a couple of years will impact how the game is played. I can see the big forwards becoming important again as players that can take contested marks will be invaluable. The key will be having multiple players that you can rotate through the midfield, which we already tend to do a decent amount.

It makes no sense to me. We want skillful plays but we also want to make players fatigued. How will these goals line up. It will end up becoming kick to kick if tbe players are too fatigued to skillfully transition the ball

It makes no sense to me. We want skillful plays but we also want to make players fatigued. How will these goals line up. It will end up becoming kick to kick if tbe players are too fatigued to skillfully transition the ball

The thinking is that fatigue will lead to less congestion and flooding. Like how games tend to open up late in quarters and late in the game.

Montagna on the radio the other day seems to think that decreased rotations will amount to more flooding. Having players rest as they defend in numbers.
Get possession back and then rest some more with ball in hand if needed.
It’s plausible it could play out like this.

The problem is that coaches will always adapt to rules. If they want to concede less scores, they will make it happen, regardless of rule changes.

The only way to incentivise higher scoring is to...incentivise higher scoring. A bonus point system such as used in cricket or rugby union may be a comparable example. Say if you score 100 points you get an extra point on top of the 4 points for a victory. Yes different teams play in different venues, and different conditions eg rain can affect total score. But this still works in rugby union and cricket, even if conditions vary from game to game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is that coaches will always adapt to rules. If they want to concede less scores, they will make it happen, regardless of rule changes.

The only way to incentivise higher scoring is to...incentivise higher scoring. A bonus point system such as used in cricket or rugby union may be a comparable example. Say if you score 100 points you get an extra point on top of the 4 points for a victory. Yes different teams play in different venues, and different conditions eg rain can affect total score. But this still works in rugby union and cricket, even if conditions vary from game to game.

Yes, I like this one. Make it even more granular - if a team scores 20 points straight and opposition don't break that run, then the attacking team gets another 4 points or something. At that point, flooding and defending won't matter anymore. The only way to stop conceding the additional free points is to actually score a point, and I think I made my point.

Last edited:
I believe the fans should be able to collectively vote for supergoals to be introduced for 10 minutes each match. This will engage the fans, solve congestion and rekindle my relationship with my father

Adjudicating the rules around throwing the ball and paying more freekicks for illegal disposal would go a lot further to reducing congestion then reducing rotations.

If they payed holding the man and cracked down on players being tackled before they took possession it would free things up immensely. But that would require a period of over-officiating before players corrected their behaviour, which the same people who whinge about the look of the game would then complain about over-umpiring.

If they payed holding the man and cracked down on players being tackled before they took possession it would free things up immensely. But that would require a period of over-officiating before players corrected their behaviour, which the same people who whinge about the look of the game would then complain about over-umpiring.
Yeah no doubt that would happen, but I wouldn't call enforcing the rules correctly as "over-officiating" ;)

All these grand ideas for improving the game but in the meantime lets continue with mauling packs with 12+ players all standing around the contest waiting for their turn to lay a tackle or win the ball and hand pass it 1 metre sideways.

The best way to improve the game and open it up is to pay holding the ball or ball it up but make the decision so much quicker. Right now the umpires are instructed to sit back and wait to see if the ball spills out eventually and they don't really care how it finds its way out of the contest. Hawthorn and the Bulldogs won premierships by disposing of the ball in suspicious circumstances just to keep the ball moving.

If a player is tackled and didn't have a prior opportunity to dispose of it then the umpire should blow his whistle within a couple seconds. Sprint in not jog. Get the ball and throw it straight up. I don't care if there is 2 players there or 8. Don't bother with this nominating for the ruck rubbish. Two blokes are allowed to go up - the minute a third player goes up pay a free kick. Watch the game speed up when we don't stop for 15/20 secs waiting to make a decision and then allowing everyone to enter the contest.

All these grand ideas for improving the game but in the meantime lets continue with mauling packs with 12+ players all standing around the contest waiting for their turn to lay a tackle or win the ball and hand pass it 1 metre sideways.

The best way to improve the game and open it up is to pay holding the ball or ball it up but make the decision so much quicker. Right now the umpires are instructed to sit back and wait to see if the ball spills out eventually and they don't really care how it finds its way out of the contest. Hawthorn and the Bulldogs won premierships by disposing of the ball in suspicious circumstances just to keep the ball moving.

If a player is tackled and didn't have a prior opportunity to dispose of it then the umpire should blow his whistle within a couple seconds. Sprint in not jog. Get the ball and throw it straight up. I don't care if there is 2 players there or 8. Don't bother with this nominating for the ruck rubbish. Two blokes are allowed to go up - the minute a third player goes up pay a free kick. Watch the game speed up when we don't stop for 15/20 secs waiting to make a decision and then allowing everyone to enter the contest.
Not a really fan of the idea of playing a holding the ball call against a player just because he get caught with the ball.
Penalises the player going for the ball, so in tight situations no one will want to pick it up.
The game will turn into soccer.
I think I would much prefer to see something similar to a centre bounce where you are allowed 3 from each team plus a ruckman at stoppages and then an exclusion zone of 20m for everyone else.
Might slow the ball ups though.

Not a really fan of the idea of playing a holding the ball call against a player just because he get caught with the ball.
Penalises the player going for the ball, so in tight situations no one will want to pick it up.
The game will turn into soccer.
I think I would much prefer to see something similar to a centre bounce where you are allowed 3 from each team plus a ruckman at stoppages and then an exclusion zone of 20m for everyone else.
Might slow the ball ups though.

But it won't be holding the ball if he just picks it up and gets tackled immediately - no prior. If he however takes the ball then tried to beat his opponent and is caught its holding the ball. Umpires need to interpret the rule correctly.

Umpires also need to be stronger on incorrect disposal. Getting tackled and dropping the ball at your feet isn't play on its holding the ball.

But it won't be holding the ball if he just picks it up and gets tackled immediately - no prior. If he however takes the ball then tried to beat his opponent and is caught its holding the ball. Umpires need to interpret the rule correctly.

Umpires also need to be stronger on incorrect disposal. Getting tackled and dropping the ball at your feet isn't play on its holding the ball.
Bingo. God Hocking is a dunce

This has a Mal Michael to Essendon dodgy vibe about it:

This has a Mal Michael to Essendon dodgy vibe about it:

I feel pretty sure he was given a gentle nudge by Clarke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back