Non-lions discussion 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

geez Petracca is almost unstoppable when he feels like it. Shame he doesn’t feel like it often enough.

On paper, Petracca looks to have everything needed to be a genuine star but shows it way too briefly. He is at risk of becoming an ‘almost’ player. In a way he is emblematic of the entire Melbourne team of this era.

God Melbourne are badly coached and even more badly led.

Absolutely lost their cool late when the Tigers went to sleep. Tigers were ripe for the picking but Melbourne players just all got sucked towards the ball for 10 mins straight like lemmings.

No one in position to receive. Totally lost their shape. Really bad football club.

Melbourne seem to find a way to not only shoot themselves in both feet but take the time to reload and do it again. It’s like they are doing training drills which always go a bit wrong. They then do the exact same drill and do it wrong again. An incredibly frustrating club.

Several Tigers not going in the the hub for the Tigers, apparently Bachar Houli is one
I think both of them have partners who have just or are about to give birth, so, fair enough

Reminds me of this great video from a while back

Always disliked the talk about whether players should miss a game for a birth etc.. nonsense.

Seems the Tigers will also hold back some youngsters to do some more intensive 1 on 1 style coaching which is pretty cool and interesting to see how it turns out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching Burgoyne is very annoying. He is the epitome of protected species. Looked very well after by the umpires at all times, and given lots of leniency.

......and in breaking news, a free has just been paid against Burgoyne for HOLDING THE BALL.

Clarko to demand a Please Explain from the Umpiring Department on Monday morning

Hawks leading inside 50s: 24-15 but losing 3 goals to 7

Several Tigers not going in the the hub for the Tigers, apparently Bachar Houli is one

Wonder if they forfeit their pay.

Makes lachie Neale look even better - if you missed it he was interviewed and said the game has given him his lifestyle and the opportunity to play and if this year required hubs he would happily pay it back and support the league by doing weeks long stints in hubs. Superstar.

I think both of them have partners who have just or are about to give birth, so, fair enough

Lester in Lions roar podcast addressed his pregnant wife giving birth. Said will go to hub but obviously come back for the birth as family comes first with club.

Which is doable with no isolation period requirement.

Was flicking last night and caught a couple of minutes of bulldogs v north while our game was half time. Start of 3rd quarter i think, higgins grabs ball, tackled straight away, did not dive on ball, did not drag ball in, he was upright and grabbed ball in flight so had no prior opportunity arms pinged and was pinged for holding the ball. Umpire reason was not making a genuine attempt ( crap call it was,). 2 minutes later bulldogs guy grabs ball, had more time to dispose of ball, is tackled pinged and makes no attempt to get rid of ball. Different umpire by the way calls ball up and his reasoning was no prior opportunity. Go figure. 2 different umpires. 2 different interpretations.
By the way i don't think Clarkos complaining of holding the ball helped Hawthorn today. Think i heard a stat was 9 holding the balls to GWS and 1 to Hawks.

Think i heard a stat was 9 holding the balls to GWS and 1 to Hawks.

10-2 I'm pretty sure, with at least a couple of pretty blatant dropping of the balls not given against GWS.

The new focus doesn't seem to be on dropping the ball cold but on not making a genuine attempt, which is about the dumbest way to interpret this "direction". There were already cases where you could grab a guy's arm, he picks it up with his other, and it's basically a guaranteed free against because there's nothing he can really do with one arm - he can't even fake a handball to give the umpire cover for a "genuine attempt". Now they're paying that every time. I guess yay for consistency and boo for missing the point.

Worried about the holding the ball rule more than ever - it’s going to cost teams goals every week. Maybe decide games.

You’re a backman, ball is in dispute on the ground you’re on the ground closest to it, you can’t grab it, you don’t want to slap it out as their are small forwards lurking. Someone scoops it into you and squeezes it in. 3 others pile on top. Ball ends up somewhere near your knees. *Whistle* HTB dragged it in

Ball gets hand passed to you, you have to take possession. You get immediately tackled, ball pinned to your chest by a strong full forward. You have half an arm free. Do you make out you are trying to get rid of it when you don’t really want to? Do you “try” squeeze it on the boot possibly missing your foot and getting pinned for incorrect disposal? Again forwards are lurking.
You choose to do the obligatory I’m trying to get it out.
*Whistle* HTB no genuine attempt.

Teams are smart and adapt to get around rules, if umpires continue this BS then teams will clog up the play and pile on the ball even more to make it harder to see. Forcing them to ball it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back