Non-lions discussion 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

May be Dees and Blues had heaps of top five picks and got nowhere. And they didn't have the go home problem that the Suns have

With the resigning of the youngsters it seems the go home issue is on hold on until the end of 2023. That also feels about the deadline for the club to prove it can be something other than a basket case, so if they're still struggling at that point then retaining a team on the coast might be a bigger concern than player retention

Really hope it works though, id love to have two good teams in Queensland and I feel their small core supporters grip are owed some success after knowing only misery

I think in one of his podcasts Mitch talks about the off season. If I recall correctly teams typically give players off season fitness and running regimes and they're expected to do at least 80% of the scheduled workload, so I don't think the off season running is necessarily out of the ordinary.

What stands out to me is the camaraderie of the playing group and the in it together attitude that sees them putting in the work as a team even when they're off the clock. Not sure how many other clubs would be similar to that

Our boards resident Collingwood / gc fan attended full 2.5 hour training recently and regularly attends Collingwood and specifically commented that the camaraderie and banter and energy was off the charts, no different to her usual Collingwood training.

Like Brisbane, as most of the list are not locals they get very close with each other off the track.

Crossley, scheer 2 of our handful of gold coasters and they got themselves in trouble..

From what I’ve read, GWS and more recently GC.

If they stick together, GC are going to be scary in about 5 years.

If I had a dollar for every time that was said since inception I’d retire.

Same here, but that's because I'd spent eight hours a day chanting it.

Any objective observer could see that Suns were not set up properly. Quite the opposite. Under Evans the last two years Suns are turning it around. So just maybe the 2nd time AFL will get it right.

As a side note, even established teams go through hard times for whatever reasons. Living myself in Brisbane, I experienced first hand Lions 10 years misery before Fagan time.

On the comments about GC being a s**t hole, do you really want to talk about s**t holes? I could come up with plenty in Brisbane.

Regarding young players running together in the off-season majority of Suns players did that the last two pre-seasons together with GC Run Co. Not that we could see results yet.

Finally, could Suns please have someone from your high performance/rehab team? Jealous of your minimal injury list the last 3 years.

Good luck in 2020.

Was there all much drama with us against him? I felt many were pretty accomodating despite the words at the B & F. Think the offer we got for a player many saw had maybe 1 or 2 years max left as fantastic. Maybe that softened the blow? I've never felt any animosity towards him, he's just a guy who played some games at the Lions now; some very, very good games. Hope he gets things together in his life.
The club itself was very accommodating but I felt towards the end of his tenure here he was being a bit dishonest with his intentions to return to Melbourne. Like you I don't harbour any ill feelings partly because of his struggles but also partly because we were able to get the deal we did for him.

Seems a little bit like history repeating though; one of the posters over there stated he had an art class (which he is teaching) scheduled for the same day they are supposed to play Richmond in round 2! Doesn't sound like someone who is committed to getting back to AFL to me.

The club itself was very accommodating but I felt towards the end of his tenure here he was being a bit dishonest with his intentions to return to Melbourne. Like you I don't harbour any ill feelings partly because of his struggles but also partly because we were able to get the deal we did for him.

Seems a little bit like history repeating though; one of the posters over there stated he had an art class (which he is teaching) scheduled for the same day they are supposed to play Richmond in round 2! Doesn't sound like someone who is committed to getting back to AFL to me.
I think, most importantly, we haven’t missed him.

From what I’ve read, GWS and more recently GC.

If they stick together, GC are going to be scary in about 5 years.

Those three teams all have a high proportion of interstate players. Can actually be a big advantage when clubs manage the mix of personalities and set expectations around players supporting each other. And that’s a Fagan speciality.

I really liked hearing that the players are all put in dorms/rooms with others they don’t normally hang with during the tassie camp. A lot of work obviously goes into making every moment count. Love it.

Something was really wrong at the Eagles in the early 2000s. Has anyone every taken responsibility?

Very sad to see this and many other similar problems that people have in our current society. Probably the offending individuals should be the ones taking responsibility for their actions I believe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide have three players under 25 who have played 50 games or more heading in to this season.

And two of those players turn 25 in April.

Adelaide have three players under 25 who have played 50 games or more heading in to this season.

And two of those players turn 25 in April.
They along with North are probably the least attractive lists in the comp. Its not that they are bad lists and will likely be mid table this year. But the future prospects arent great right now. Adelaide really need some rejuvenation. Will be interesting to see if they off load Crouch for some currency

They along with North are probably the least attractive lists in the comp. Its not that they are bad lists and will likely be mid table this year. But the future prospects arent great right now. Adelaide really need some rejuvenation. Will be interesting to see if they off load Crouch for some currency
Doesn't help when Crouch is demanding 1 million per year

On the comments about GC being a s**t hole, do you really want to talk about s**t holes? I could come up with plenty in Brisbane

If you're so confident go stand unarmed in the dark in Nerang at night.

Absolute hole.

If you're so confident go stand unarmed in the dark in Nerang at night.

Absolute hole.
I can't say if Nerang is a hole as I live in Brisbane. I take your word for it. Interestingly, going to Suns games I drive to and park in Nerang not far from railway station or in Carrara and then walk to Metricon unarmed. Nobody tried to kill me yet or stole tyres.

Just found it a bit rich talking about s**t holes on GC when Brisbane is full of them. Every city has them.

Last edited:
I can't say if Nerang is a hole as I live in Brisbane. I take your word for it. Interestingly, going to Suns games I drive to and park in Nerang not far from railway station or in Carrara and then walk to Metricon unarmed. Nobody tried to kill me yet or stole tyres.

Just found it a bit rich talking about s**t holes on GC when Brisbane is full of them. Every city has them.

The biggest defender of the gold coast doesn't even live on the gold coast. Says a lot.

Most dangerous city in the world

The biggest defender of the gold coast doesn't even live on the gold coast.
No idea how you came to the conclusion that I am the biggest defender of GC. Just shared my experience while living 20 years in Brisbane and visiting GC often. Wish Brisbane had GC beaches.

Says a lot.
Not sure what it says and about whom.

Most dangerous city in the world
Just stay within the Brisbane city boundary and you should be fine.

As for me, I am still going to Metricon next weekend to see the trial match Suns vs Lions.

No idea how you came to the conclusion that I am the biggest defender of GC. Just shared my experience while living 20 years in Brisbane and visiting GC often. Wish Brisbane had GC beaches.

Not sure what it says and about whom.

Just stay within the Brisbane city boundary and you should be fine.

As for me, I am still going to Metricon next weekend to see the trial match Suns vs Lions.
Don’t take the bait.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back