Non-lions discussion 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a step in the right direction to weed out the non interested parties. If that is not a good thing?
I guess it is just more disruption. It may well have a positive impact like you say but there is a lot of drama around that club at the moment. Maybe some of it is explainable and/or positive change but I can't see that overall it is a good sign for the club to have that much other s**t going on, both on field and off field.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Club need to find extra money from budget to ensure we keep our medical and conditioning staff.
Other Clubs will surely come calling with good offers if we have another good year in the injuries department.
Should now be a priority the same as player retention.
This!

I guess it is just more disruption. It may well have a positive impact like you say but there is a lot of drama around that club at the moment. Maybe some of it is explainable and/or positive change but I can't see that overall it is a good sign for the club to have that much other s**t going on, both on field and off field.

Agreed. It's not like the new members were developing leaders in wait either.

Good luck with that Ken. :rolleyes:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

The Club need to find extra money from budget to ensure we keep our medical and conditioning staff.
Other Clubs will surely come calling with good offers if we have another good year in the injuries department.
Should now be a priority the same as player retention.

From what I hear, it's not so much the individual staff as a top down directive about sticking to evidence based strategies and programs and doing that well rather than pushing the envelope. It's about keeping things simple instead of trying to be on the cutting edge and adding in unproven pseudo-science/broscience crap that adds too many difficult to control variables.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
That will make Kochy happy😆
For today anyway.
Comments like Ken’s are a sure fire way to set yourself and the club up for failure, particularly if you fail to deliver.

It gives the media, Port’s own fans and Koch and the board a very easy excuse to sack him if things don’t go to plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It’s a step in the right direction to weed out the non interested parties. If that is not a good thing?

That's the head scratcher though, they had the perfect opportunity to move on non interested parties in last years trade period. Either arrogance or foolishness to dig your heals in rather than cut your losses & just take what you can from a trade & move on.

Sydney offered pick 9 & a future first round pick for Daniher. Given he looks set to miss the first half of the year now anyway, what do you think he's going to be worth at the end of 2020? It's all well & good to roll out lines like 'clearly Essendon valued Daniher higher than Sydney did', but I'd prefer to have my club take a more pragmatic approach.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Comments like Ken’s are a sure fire way to set yourself and the club up for failure, particularly if you fail to deliver.

It gives the media, Port’s own fans and Koch and the board a very easy excuse to sack him if things don’t go to plan.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Talk about being your own kiss of death.

Most people view Ports list as being quite promising with the young talent they've brought in, and cut them a bit of slack with getting the kids some senior experience.

It has already been said that if they don’t make finals then his day is done.
It’s pretty much written in his contract I believe.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Sydney offered pick 9 & a future first round pick for Daniher. Given he looks set to miss the first half of the year now anyway, what do you think he's going to be worth at the end of 2020? It's all well & good to roll out lines like 'clearly Essendon valued Daniher higher than Sydney did', but I'd prefer to have my club take a more pragmatic approach.
Was beyond dumb by Dopey Dodoro not to accept Sydney’s offer. They’ll get nowhere near what they could’ve got for him and if Daniher can’t get on the park, I dare say Sydney may not be interested or won’t offer him as much coin which I understand in turn means Essendon’s compensation will be reduced.

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It has already been said that if they don’t make finals then his day is done.
It’s pretty much written in his contract I believe.

That's my understanding too. The quote struck me as a bloke trying to safeguard his job by saying things that'd make his boss nod. If you read the full quote he didn't even sound like he thought they'd get the premierships, just ended up saying finals is the goal

Hilarious. gotta think he’s taking the piss out of the media. I mean, wanting to win a premiership is the whole point but he’s got the media publishing that as a if it’s something novel.

It's Adelaide mate. Had to be front page of the Advertiser.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Was beyond dumb by Dopey Dodoro not to accept Sydney’s offer. They’ll get nowhere near what they could’ve got for him and if Daniher can’t get on the park, I dare say Sydney may not be interested or won’t offer him as much coin which I understand in turn means Essendon’s compensation will be reduced.

Dodoro had a reputation to uphold

Always be a difficult prick to deal with.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back