Non-lions discussion 2020

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree. I turned last night's game off early in the last quarter due to poor umpiring and grating commentating, while last Friday I mostly watched the NRL over the "blockbuster" Richmond and Geelong game. I watch most games, especially Channel 7 ones, on mute.
Yes either on mute or synced with the radio for channel 7 calls

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
how could he initially call that a goal???the most obvious rush behind ever

eugh Pie matches get me fired up... gotta keep calm :p
Same same watching richmond , right.
When the game is tight they get a piggy back up the other end and score.
then when the other side loses all hope, they run over them.
They probably run over them anyway with a couple of goals , but gees it would be nice to see them squirm for a while and who knows score board pressure and the opposision getting their tales up, would make a far better game.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've gotta say the just complete scale tipping towards Collingwood and Richmond from the media, the umpires, and the afl itself as an organisation is one of the reasons I've found myself not enjoying the afl as much this season.

At this point id say I'm a lions fan rather than an afl fan. I'm ashamed to admit it but I actually think the NRL is putting out a more enjoyable product that doesnt feel like a rigged contest. I never would have thought I'd say that
You are not the only one.
The same way I stopped watching NRL because of forward passes and wrestling , the same way I could be disenchanted with AFL.he product is shite at the moment.
Rugby league has fixed a lot of their complaints by the fans , Lets hope the AFL does so as well.
Simple really follow the rules that are their and call them.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Agree. I turned last night's game off early in the last quarter due to poor umpiring and grating commentating, while last Friday I mostly watched the NRL over the "blockbuster" Richmond and Geelong game. I watch most games, especially Channel 7 ones, on mute.
I regularly state it, but so many facets of the game / coverage are in the toilet.

Umpiring is at an all time low. You just can't say its not. The umps officiate like its a chook raffle because random frees are paid, yet identical incidents in the same game are completely ignored. Incorrect disposal; players can now blatantly drop the ball all under the guise of keeping the ball moving or trying to correctly the dispose of the ball. I saw that spotthedog1 pasted a part of the laws of the game covering this and well, the umps just do not officiate to the laws of the game.

The commentary, particularly channel 7's team is laughable. How the big wigs endorse this crap and employ these morons is anybody's guess, but there are obviously many in the burbs that enjoy their circle jerk style and openly barracking for the Melbourne teams. I can't believe Hodge has gotten himself involved with these morons. Ch. 7 is practically unwatchable.

I've maintained a passing interesting in NRL but the excitement isn't there. Dummy half palms it off to the thickest neck for 4 plays up the middle of the ground then kick to winger that takes a regulation AFL mark to send the commentators wild.

Umps need to improve but let's not get too crazy here...

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've maintained a passing interesting in NRL but the excitement isn't there. Dummy half palms it off to the thickest neck for 4 plays up the middle of the ground then kick to winger that takes a regulation AFL mark to send the commentators wild.

Umps need to improve but let's not get too crazy here...

I've actually found this season to be much more exciting than in the past. The change to 6 again for ruck infringements has made the whole thing a lot faster. Definitely still a lot of battering rams but the frequency of what are effectively 12 (or 18, or even 24) phase sets does encourage quicker ball movement later in the piece to take advantage of the tired defence.

I've also greatly enjoyed the schadenfreude of the broncos getting smashed and embarrassed all year while the lions are on top. Good times

I regularly state it, but so many facets of the game / coverage are in the toilet.

Umpiring is at an all time low. You just can't say its not. The umps officiate like its a chook raffle because random frees are paid, yet identical incidents in the same game are completely ignored. Incorrect disposal; players can now blatantly drop the ball all under the guise of keeping the ball moving or trying to correctly the dispose of the ball. I saw that spotthedog1 pasted a part of the laws of the game covering this and well, the umps just do not officiate to the laws of the game.

Agree, but I just don't see how the league fixes it or if they would even want to. I think that the record member numbers in recent years and successful outreach through things like the aflw and auskick/ junior footy in non-traditional areas has kind of allowed the fact that the actual afl itself just feels broken to be swept under the rug. Itd take some real vision to actually professionalise unpiring and to take the reliance on interpretation out of the way the game is officiated, for instance, and with the challenges and excuses covid has thrown up i just can't see the league actually putting in the effort. At best we get another stupid rule change that just confuses things more

Last edited:

The commentary, particularly channel 7's team is laughable. How the big wigs endorse this crap and employ these morons is anybody's guess, but there are obviously many in the burbs that enjoy their circle jerk style and openly barracking for the Melbourne teams. I can't believe Hodge has gotten himself involved with these morons. Ch. 7 is practically unwatchable.
Actually, my post in the other thread was pro-umpire, anti-commentator. I'm not saying that the umpires are always right on this one, and they definitely have inconsistencies with it, but I'm annoyed at the commentators on this one. A player picks up the ball, is immediately tackled, and drops the ball. According to the laws of the game, the umpires (most of the time) interpretation, common sense - it should be play on. The player did not have prior opportunity, so they can't be done for incorrect disposal.

This obviously doesn't excuse times where there was prior opportunity, nor times where players intentionally illegally dispose of it (eg. handballs that aren't handballs).

So is there anything actually broken in the laws of the game as written? Are there actual grey areas that require interpretation (apart from deliberate OOB (assuming of course that that in itself is a written rule!)).

Apart from the inevitable adjustment period would there be a problem with following the rules?

Were there actual problems that they were trying to fix when they began the journey from black and white to our current grey 'paradise' that would come back?

Hawthorn-Gold Coast this weekend is a dead rubber.

My suggestion would be that just for that game we swap the commentators and the umpires. Get the commentators umpiring, and the umpires calling the game on Foxsports, and see if anything improves. My guess is the commentary gets slightly better, and the umpiring gets much, much worse.

Only half joking.

morsie

All Australian
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You are not the only one.
The same way I stopped watching NRL because of forward passes and wrestling , the same way I could be disenchanted with AFL.he product is sh*te at the moment.
Rugby league has fixed a lot of their complaints by the fans , Lets hope the AFL does so as well.
Simple really follow the rules that are their and call them.
Still lots of forward passes in rugby league which are seldom called

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Rugby League is a hell of a lot easier game to umpire/referee than Australian Rules which would be one of if not the hardest game to adjudicate on the planet, no excuse for some of the horrific umpiring we have seen this season though, HTB, prior opportunity, incorrect disposal being the most frustrating and annoying.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Finals Venues & AFL Statement link below

Port- 2 x Adelaide Oval
Lions- 2 x Gabba
WCE - First home final if they finish 5th or 6th. With them and opponents having a 7 day quarantine period
Depending on final 8 outcome teams granted a home final can choose either Gabba or Metricon

Week one of finals will be Thurs 1/10/20 & Fri 2/10/20 both Night games. Sat 3/10/20 afternoon/twilight/night

For full article

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Finals Venues & AFL Statement link below

Port- 2 x Adelaide Oval
Lions- 2 x Gabba
WCE - First home final if they finish 5th or 6th. With them and opponents having a 7 day quarantine period
Depending on final 8 outcome teams granted a home final can choose either Gabba or Metricon

Week one of finals will be Thurs 1/10/20 & Fri 2/10/20 both Night games. Sat 3/10/20 afternoon/twilight/night

For full article

IMO Port have the distinct "home ground" advantage, which they deserve, given how much exposure the other finalists have had playing at the Gabba throughout the year and getting used to the conditions in SE Qld.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Easy Peasy all we need to do is win week 1 and we wont have to leave the Gabba, lose week 1 and if we make the Preliminary Final it will likely be at Metricon🤮 or Adelaide Oval.
I don't think the AFL will use Metricon to solely disadvantage Brisbane.

Commercially, they have a lot of money to recoup and they'll try to maximise that any way they can, so I consider it highly unlikely they'll send Brisbane down to Metricon and waive their ability to get a full house at the Gabba.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think the AFL will use Metricon to solely disadvantage Brisbane.

Commercially, they have a lot of money to recoup and they'll try to maximise that any way they can, so I consider it highly unlikely they'll send Brisbane down to Metricon and waive their ability to get a full house at the Gabba.

The finals policy announced indicates that the highest ranked team will get a choice, with the exception being that if the Eagles somehow finish top 4 they won't get to host finals in Perth after week 1.

So if we faced geelong or richmond in a prelim having lost a qualifying final they could choose to play it at Metricon.

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wow things are unravelling on the Norf board. They might be starting to turn on our good mate Snake :) Trade thread is interesting reading. Went to see what they though of Aidan Corr but got the snake hate discussion instead.

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
Easy Peasy all we need to do is win week 1 and we wont have to leave the Gabba, lose week 1 and if we make the Preliminary Final it will likely be at Metricon🤮 or Adelaide Oval.
As the highest ranked team (other than port if they finish top but we wont meet them until the GF) we choose the location for all our finals?

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As the highest ranked team (other than port if they finish top but we wont meet them until the GF) we choose the location for all our finals?

Whoever wins the qualifying final will get choice of venue for the prelim, noting that it can't be in Perth. So if we lose week 1 and play geelong in a prelim, they could pick metricon if they wanted to.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
If we lose the qualifying final I don't think so. The 2 winners of the qualifying finals jump up the rankings to the 1st and 2nd ranking is the way I think it works.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've actually found this season to be much more exciting than in the past. The change to 6 again for ruck infringements has made the whole thing a lot faster. Definitely still a lot of battering rams but the frequency of what are effectively 12 (or 18, or even 24) phase sets does encourage quicker ball movement later in the piece to take advantage of the tired defence.

I've also greatly enjoyed the schadenfreude of the broncos getting smashed and embarrassed all year while the lions are on top. Good times

Agree, but I just don't see how the league fixes it or if they would even want to. I think that the record member numbers in recent years and successful outreach through things like the aflw and auskick/ junior footy in non-traditional areas has kind of allowed the fact that the actual afl itself just feels broken to be swept under the rug. Itd take some real vision to actually professionalise unpiring and to take the reliance on interpretation out of the way the game is officiated, for instance, and with the challenges and excuses covid has thrown up i just can't see the league actually putting in the effort. At best we get another stupid rule change that just confuses things more
Challenging issues, maybe with reduced lists (although I think it will be gradual), something radical like 16 v 16. Grounds are essentially the same size as 40 years ago but the players are so fit they can flood back and prevent open forward entries. It would open up the game, but might be too radical and change the fabric of the game.

What should happen for 2021;
a) There should be less interchange rotations, make the players fatigued (Like the NRL has attempted) this will open the game
b) Standard 20 min Q's with less interchanges
c) Crack down on not immediately returning the ball to the opposition with 50m penalties.

Won't speed up the game but get rid of totally hands in the back. It is BS at the moment and soon will discourage players from taking front position. Also make it easier to umpire, instead of interpreting if the player put hands in the back to keep their space, any hands in the back is a free kick.
I too have enjoyed the demise of the Broncos, not that my team, Manly are going much better. You would think there will be a lot of media coverage coming the Lions way in the next few weeks with the Broncos not involved in the finals.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Challenging issues, maybe with reduced lists (although I think it will be gradual), something radical like 16 v 16. Grounds are essentially the same size as 40 years ago but the players are so fit they can flood back and prevent open forward entries. It would open up the game, but might be too radical and change the fabric of the game.

What should happen for 2021;
a) There should be less interchange rotations, make the players fatigued (Like the NRL has attempted) this will open the game
b) Standard 20 min Q's with less interchanges
c) Crack down on not immediately returning the ball to the opposition with 50m penalties.

Won't speed up the game but get rid of totally hands in the back. It is BS at the moment and soon will discourage players from taking front position. Also make it easier to umpire, instead of interpreting if the player put hands in the back to keep their space, any hands in the back is a free kick.
I too have enjoyed the demise of the Broncos, not that my team, Manly are going much better. You would think there will be a lot of media coverage coming the Lions way in the next few weeks with the Broncos not involved in the finals.
CM will find a way to keep the Broncos on the back page and another 10 before the AFL. As good old Jo said 'don't you worry about that"

Back