briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Does everyone remember last years finals.

We played two home games at the Gabba, even though we lost the first game.

I would assume the same goes for this year.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Yes that is literally how it goes every single year. The only difference is that as finals can't be played in Vic, or in Perth after week 1, the relevant team will instead have a choice of venue.

Yes. But if we won against GWS, we wouldn't have hosted the next game at the Gabba.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We play the first two at home
If we lose the first but win the second then the Prelim will be an away game.
This is where we may have to play away as it will not be our home game.
Still could be the Gabba but could also be elsewhere

Below chart for a normal Home & Away finals season

1600233774364.png

Last edited:

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's pretty damning that many of our fans don't fully understand how the finals series works - not of them, but of our performance as a club over the last 15 years.

It's not just the players who are lacking in 'finals experience'. 🙃

Was it still under the old finals system back in 1999-2004?

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
We play the first two at home
If we lose the first but win the second then the Prelim will be an away game.
This is where we may have to play away as it will not be our home game.
Still could be the Gabba but could also be elsewhere

Below chart for a normal Home & Away finals season

View attachment 962765
Always been a bugbear of mine that if 1st loses week one then 2nd and 3rd end up playing a worse team in week two (6th/7th vs. [likely] 5th).

It's pretty damning that many of our fans don't fully understand how the finals series works - not of them, but of our performance as a club over the last 15 years.

It's not just the players who are lacking in 'finals experience'. 🙃
Go back and look at the angst over finals tickets last year and how the club was to blame for all of it despite the clubs having had no say in finals ticketing for years. ;)

The finals policy announced indicates that the highest ranked team will get a choice, with the exception being that if the Eagles somehow finish top 4 they won't get to host finals in Perth after week 1.

So if we faced geelong or richmond in a prelim having lost a qualifying final they could choose to play it at Metricon.

Could be Adelaide too ? I read somewhere..

Was it still under the old finals system back in 1999-2004?

The old finals system also had prelim final locked in at MCG. Like we were forced to play our 2004 prelim at MCG due to contract. They changed it since then I think.

Could be Adelaide too ? I read somewhere..
It could be, but I'm not sure that if the "host" team is Geelong or Richmond, both based in Qld, that either will be keen on travel for travel's sake.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Wow things are unravelling on the Norf board. They might be starting to turn on our good mate Snake :) Trade thread is interesting reading. Went to see what they though of Aidan Corr but got the snake hate discussion instead.

lU7htfp.gif

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It could be, but I'm not sure that if the "host" team is Geelong or Richmond, both based in Qld, that either will be keen on travel for travel's sake.
Agree. I can't see those two teams travelling outside SEQ.
Richmond have won 6 from 6 at Metricon and 2 from 2 at the Gabba
The Cats have 4 wins from 4 at the Gabba and 1 win and 1 loss to Richmond at Metricon

Agree. I can't see those two teams travelling outside SEQ.
Richmond have won 6 from 6 at Metricon and 2 from 2 at the Gabba
The Cats have 4 wins from 4 at the Gabba and 1 win and 1 loss to Richmond at Metricon
I think both of those 2 teams will back themselves in to win against us at the Gabba.
Collingwood would too.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think both of those 2 teams will back themselves in to win against us at the Gabba.
Collingwood would too.
Richmond and Geelong would be reasonably confident against us.
After watching the Pies the other night i will be surprised if they win the first final.

I think the Lions have a better all round team this year and winning that first final game is on the cards.
If we get Berry back for that first final game and have no other injuries i am fairly confident in winning against any opposition.
Having Andrews back would be a bonus for the next game, hopefully the next game is the Prelim.
Last years experience would have given the group a taste of what needs to be done to win a final.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Richmond and Geelong would be reasonably confident against us.
After watching the Pies the other night i will be surprised if they win the first final.

I think the Lions have a better all round team this year and winning that first final game is on the cards.
If we get Berry back for that first final game and have no other injuries i am fairly confident in winning against any opposition.
Having Andrews back would be a bonus for the next game, hopefully the next game is the Prelim.
Last years experience would have given the group a taste of what needs to be done to win a final.

What i am hoping for if we play Richmond in the QF at the Gabba :-

1) we don't sh!t the bed with our goalkicking

2) Jack Reiwoldt and Dusty actually get penalised for their rule breaking instead of the umpires going full white cane with them

3) if Lynch plays, MRobbo "fairly" takes him out in the first 2 minutes

We are so overdue to beat Richmond it's not funny.

It's our time

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Surprising that a team still in the finals has already gone early and delisted players, effective immediately:

PORT ADELAIDE has delisted four players with a further two out-of-contract players to depart the club's inner sanctum immediately as they await answers on their futures for next season. The Power confirmed on Thursday that Joe Atley, Wylie Buzza, Tobin Cox and Riley Grundy wouldn't be offered contracts for 2021.

Martin Frederick and Jake Patmore have also been informed they won't be considered for AFL selection for the rest of the season and will await their fate away from the club. As the Power await confirmation for lists sizes for next season, it will ensure all six players won't have to live under AFL COVID-19 protocols for the remainder of the year.

It will mean the Power will carry a squad of 39 players for the remainder of 2020.

This doesn't include Justin Westhoff who also announced that he'll retire at the end of the season.

Must admit, I didn't even realise Buzza had left Geelong.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Must admit, I didn't even realise Buzza had left Geelong.

Dat name......Wylie Buzza.

It always reminds me of Wylie E Coyote......the ill fated character that chased the Roadrunner around and suffered all sorts of calamitous outcomes.

Back