Non-Lions discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting the different timelines at play. Honestly, I think Vossy has done brilliantly, and Carlton is a solid job for the next few years.

We had Lethal when we were peaking, then Vossy on the way down, Leppa to turn a corner, and Fages to take us up.
Carlton had Malthouse on the way down, Bolton at the bottom, Teague to turn a corner and actually get some wins... Vossy should get a few good years.

A better game plan, and they already have some decent cattle... Blues could be finalists next year.

Unfortunately for him (fortunately for everyone except Collingwood fans), I think McRae is currently the coach for the way down.

I don't think Leppa turned any corner. We were treading water with Vossy but Leppa strapped on the cement books and we sunk

Fages turned the corner and reaped the rewards

I've thought Carlton has had a list on the rise for a couple of years. I think they've underperformed, rather than having major list issues. The Williams and Saad signings have been poor but I thought they had enough young talent on the list to take a risk trading out draft picks.

If they get Cerra and Hewett, it will help their midfield which is not deep. A fully fit Charlie Curnow would be good fun to coach. McKay, Walsh and Weitering gives you A-grade talent in each section of the ground. They've got some other nice pieces too - De Koning, Stocker etc. And getting Cripps back to All Australian level could be a difference maker.

I think it's a plum gig as far as taking over from a sacked coach goes. Normally, you don't have much to work with when you come to a club that's just given it's senior coach the arse. Carlton's problem isn't talent.

I don't think Leppa turned any corner. We were treading water with Vossy but Leppa strapped on the cement books and we sunk

Fages turned the corner and reaped the rewards
Don't get me wrong, I credit Fages most of all. There was no shot at Fages there. I tend to think of these things as cyclical. A sine wave. But the right staff make your highs higher and your lows less low.

I think Vossy was given a dud hand by us - a list which had peaked, and thrown in the deep end with no experience. I'm sure he'll be better this time.
Leppa sat through the tough years, bottomed us out, and got a few picks on the list. I don't think our recovery is creditable to him, but I think we'd turned the corner when he got turfed.

I've thought Carlton has had a list on the rise for a couple of years. I think they've underperformed, rather than having major list issues. The Williams and Saad signings have been poor but I thought they had enough young talent on the list to take a risk trading out draft picks.

If they get Cerra and Hewett, it will help their midfield which is not deep. A fully fit Charlie Curnow would be good fun to coach. McKay, Walsh and Weitering gives you A-grade talent in each section of the ground. They've got some other nice pieces too - De Koning, Stocker etc. And getting Cripps back to All Australian level could be a difference maker.

I think it's a plum gig as far as taking over from a sacked coach goes. Normally, you don't have much to work with when you come to a club that's just given it's senior coach the arse. Carlton's problem isn't talent.

Probably the biggest issue is not having a coaching panel

Don't get me wrong, I credit Fages most of all. There was no shot at Fages there. I tend to think of these things as cyclical. A sine wave. But the right staff make your highs higher and your lows less low.

I think Vossy was given a dud hand by us - a list which had peaked, and thrown in the deep end with no experience. I'm sure he'll be better this time.
Leppa sat through the tough years, bottomed us out, and got a few picks on the list. I don't think our recovery is creditable to him, but I think we'd turned the corner when he got turfed.

Off the field maybe with Swanny and some ok assistants. List was a real mess and players under him weren't developing

List wise, it isn't bad, and isn't a bad list to be taking over from. I remember, iirc it was 2 years ago now. Blues beat us just before the bye round. That year they very much reminded me of our 5 win season, where we were a much better team than 5 wins reflected. Felt the blues list had some good green shoots.

Last 2 years they had done a typical Carlton and tried to short term fix everything. Spent huge money bringing in cream type players. Cook will probably be the best signing that club makes TBH. Voss can do the job I think, but they need their Noble equivalent and the board and power brokers to get their noses out of the footy side of things.

Voss can do the job I think, but they need their Noble equivalent and the board and power brokers to get their noses out of the footy side of things.
There's the rub. Because it's Carlton, they won't. For Vossy's sake, I hope the Carlton cycle has broken but I can't see it happening.

We introverts are loving this lockdown situation, less people to deal with is amazing!
lol that’s my wife to a T. She’s actually much happier when Brisbane goes in to an actual lockdown, simply because there’s far fewer people at Woollies when she does the shopping.

I’m not sure they have enough young talent on the list.

Weitering, Walsh and McKay, are very good. Stocker might be a player if they actually play him in the midfield, Dow has shown brief flashes, and Zac Fisher has looked good when playing between the forwards and midfield

After that, I’m not sure they have much else.

And it’s largely on their perceived poor development of their kids.

They might just have enough genuine A graders to scrape in to the 8, but there’s quite a few teams on the rise with more young talent, so they’ll be in a real fight to make it.

Hard to see many teams, bar Geelong, Sydney or Essendon falling out of the 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw a post where someone suggested Tom Rockcliff as a development coach at Carlton - I would hope he had developed himself a lot since we last saw him if he was going pull off a role like that!
I met Tom Rockliff in 2015, we was at my high school seniors AFL try outs. He gives off real arsehole vibes, the guy always has this pissed off angry expression on his face. Daniel Merret & Archie Smith were nice and pretty cool though, Rich was there but he was very quiet it's hard to judge his character. But glad Rockfliff left us we've been 10x better since Zorko has been Captain.

I met Tom Rockliff in 2015, we was at my high school seniors AFL try outs. He gives off real arsehole vibes, the guy always has this pissed off angry expression on his face. Daniel Merret & Archie Smith were nice and pretty cool though, Rich was there but he was very quiet it's hard to judge his character. But glad Rockfliff left us we've been 10x better since Zorko has been Captain.
That was 6 years ago.
The trouble with putting someone on a Pedestal that hasn't got the humility to handle it.
I still liked him , but certainly came across at times as a smart ass, (the win over Nth game ) .
You could say the same about so many sporting legends , full of themselves.
Pretty sure he's come back to earth since those days.
On Vossey
Hope Vossey gets a fully backed mimimum 5years to make a decent go at it.

My friend's son has a serious medical condition and always said Tom was amazing with him.

It may be a social situation deal, Tom likely deals better in 1 on 1s or small gathers as opposed to big meet and greets. Everyones different!

Good to see quite a few pairs of Lethal's ex Lions coaching various clubs -

Blues - Voss & Power
Cats - Scott & Lappin
Pies - McRae & Leppa

Probably missed a few somewhere too.

Good to see quite a few pairs of Lethal's ex Lions coaching various clubs -

Blues - Voss & Power
Cats - Scott & Lappin
Pies - McRae & Leppa

Probably missed a few somewhere too.

Ex lions seems to make good coaches, maybe we should try that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back