Non-Lions discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big thing here is that there appears to be no time frame on how long since someone was delisted and when then qualify as a delisted agent...
I am really pleased for Sam and you have raised a really interesting point about the time-frame for being a delisted free-agent.

I am really pleased for Sam and you have raised a really interesting point about the time-frame for being a delisted free-agent.

We could feasibly drop someone, let them play in VFL and then just resign them in a few years...

Or is there a rule saying we cant resign our own delisted?

The intercept marking shows he can anticipate play and position himself pretty well, at least at the lower level. But as jackess observed, struggled post injury with lateral movement and mobility generally. Not sure how much of that he can get back, if any. Wish him only the best though.

The big thing here is that there appears to be no time frame on how long since someone was delisted and when then qualify as a delisted agent...
I think it's a side effect of the "free agency for life" change. Once you've become a free agent once, including by being delisted, you retain that status going forward. As such since Sam was effectively a delisted free agent last year he retains his status as a free agent and can sign with any club as we've seen.

The AFLPA have a slide deck covering this change back in 2019 - the key part:

PREV QUAL FA NOT ON [PREVIOUS YEAR'S] CLUB LIST
A player who became a free agent previously, but is no longer on an AFL list, will be a free agent.

I think it's a side effect of the "free agency for life" change. Once you've become a free agent once, including by being delisted, you retain that status going forward. As such since Sam was effectively a delisted free agent last year he retains his status as a free agent and can sign with any club as we've seen.

The AFLPA have a slide deck covering this change back in 2019 - the key part:

That...makes sense, so when we delist guys like CEY rather than sign them as a delisted free agent we take him as a rookie...but another club could take him if he accepts their offer...Or nothing is stopping us leaving him off the list until something like the midseason draft or even next year?

That...makes sense, so when we delist guys like CEY rather than sign them as a delisted free agent we take him as a rookie...

Yes, because that gives us some salary cap benefits the fewer games he plays. Delisted free agents go on to the senior list and their salary counts against the cap.

but another club could take him if he accepts their offer...

Yes.

Or nothing is stopping us leaving him off the list until something like the midseason draft or even next year?

Well we wouldn't get the benefit of the salary cap relief, which is the reason for the delisting and move to the rookie list. If they're completely delisted, the whole salary charge counts.

Very sad news came from Port Adelaide and South Australia these past couple of hours, with the death of former Port Adelaide champion Russell Ebert today. Even though this unbelievable legend of a player only ever played 25 games in the VFL/AFL system with North Melbourne (1979) and his name might not be well known to a lot of folks on here outside of Adelaide, but this man was such a state icon for us South Australians in general, playing 392 games for Port Adelaide (when the SANFL was the same competition level as the VFL) from 1968 - 1985, winning 6x club best & fairests (1971, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1977), 4x Magarey Medals (1971, 1974, 1976, 1980) and played for South Australia (during the State of Origin era) 29 times.

As well his on-field achievements in the sport (which he should btw be inducted in the AFL Hall of Fame already), this guy also contributed to so many achievements off the field for his club and state of South Australia as well, in regards to getting his club of Port Adelaide up to the big league of the AFL and making them a powerhouse as they are now, as well as helping underprivileged areas of SA out with many off-field programs and networks he co-worked with Port Adelaide such as the Power Community Limited (PCL), which helps schools, youth and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander networks out with different aspects of life.

Most importantly though, this guy was such an inspiration to all the South Australians out there regardless of following AFL or not, and was one of the most friendliest and humble people you would ever come across. Even though I am by no means a Port Adelaide supporter, my sincere thoughts and prayers go out to his family, the club and all the Port Adelaide supporters out there in this difficult time, for the tragic loss of such a club legend and icon like Russel Ebert was for Port Adelaide and South Australia.

Vale Russell Ebert 1949 - 2021 :port:

Very sad news came from Port Adelaide and South Australia these past couple of hours, with the death of former Port Adelaide champion Russell Ebert today. Even though this unbelievable legend of a player only ever played 25 games in the VFL/AFL system with North Melbourne (1979) and his name might not be well known to a lot of folks on here outside of Adelaide, but this man was such a state icon for us South Australians in general, playing 392 games for Port Adelaide (when the SANFL was the same competition level as the VFL) from 1968 - 1985, winning 6x club best & fairests (1971, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1977), 4x Magarey Medals (1971, 1974, 1976, 1980) and played for South Australia (during the State of Origin era) 29 times.

As well his on-field achievements in the sport (which he should btw be inducted in the AFL Hall of Fame already), this guy also contributed to so many achievements off the field for his club and state of South Australia as well, in regards to getting his club of Port Adelaide up to the big league of the AFL and making them a powerhouse as they are now, as well as helping underprivileged areas of SA out with many off-field programs and networks he co-worked with Port Adelaide such as the Power Community Limited (PCL), which helps schools, youth and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander networks out with different aspects of life.

Most importantly though, this guy was such an inspiration to all the South Australians out there regardless of following AFL or not, and was one of the most friendliest and humble people you would ever come across. Even though I am by no means a Port Adelaide supporter, my sincere thoughts and prayers go out to his family, the club and all the Port Adelaide supporters out there in this difficult time, for the tragic loss of such a club legend and icon like Russel Ebert was for Port Adelaide and South Australia.

Legend of a guy, will be sadly missed....

Father of Brett and uncle of Brad's, for those who might immediately be wondering.

Seems Skinner is very overrated over on the Port board. We all love a shiny, new toy but even at his best he only projected to be a solid KPP at AFL level and I think most of us saw the writing on the wall with the way he moved during the games he played last year.

Seems like Port will play him in defence, where he was drafted after being best Vic Country player at the Nationals as full back and breaking a SANFL record for contested and intercept marks in a final. If we played him there he would be playing beside Harris as one of our key defenders rather than play him out of position up forward then delist him.
Will break Erik in half and out mark McStay and embarrass Brisbane when he plays us.
Don’t think he is going to go away some how!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like Port will play him in defence, where he was drafted after being best Vic Country player at the Nationals as full back and breaking a SANFL record for contested and intercept marks in a final. If we played him there he would be playing beside Harris as one of our key defenders rather than play him out of position up forward then delist him.
Will break Erik in half and out mark McStay and embarrass Brisbane when he plays us.

Thanks Mr Skinner

Lol, seriously suss posting history.

Erm, if he hadn’t of had three or four knee reconstructions, I’d agree with you.

Because he has had at least three knee reconstructions, and lost most of his lateral agility and vertical jump, and he won’t be the tallest player, apart from the rucks, on the field, I’ll lol like the rest of the respondents.

Also, the SANFL is a very slow league, compared to most afl teams/games. Unless you’re playing Geelong, West Coast, Collingwood or Brisbane. And Collingwood probably speeds up their play under their new coach.

As an old Glenelg supporter now in Brisbane long time and who still hates Port with an undying passion all I can say is hear hear, well said.

So looks like Liam Jones won't be playing next year

I'm hearing it will get sorted but he may miss the start of pre-season.

Carlton fans must be tearing their hair out. If their list has anything going for it, it is the Weitering/Jones combo down back. You can build a very good defensive group around pillars like that.

Batman knows stuff about the perils of Covid vaccines that we mere mortals don't.

Just like the rest of the anti-vaxxer geniuses.

It's all there on the interweb.

Just like the stuff about the Illuminati, Earth being flat, 911 an inside job, the Apollo moon landings a great big fake and the Pope and the Queen being Reptilian aliens from Niburu , Planet X or the Planet of the Apes or somewhere.

Batman knows stuff about the perils of Covid vaccines that we mere mortals don't.

Just like the rest of the anti-vaxxer geniuses.

It's all there on the interweb.

Just like the stuff about the Illuminati, Earth being flat, 911 an inside job, the Apollo moon landings a great big fake and the Pope and the Queen being Reptilian aliens from Niburu , Planet X or the Planet of the Apes or somewhere.

I found out this week Obama is head of the new Illuminati (same concept but not actually called the Illuminati), scientists are for the most part automations who are being controlled by big pharma who are part of the new Illuminati, who have created and released covid to break down individual country governments to seize per as a world government.

I always though humans are basically to stupid and talkative to keep secrets like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back