Non-Lions discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Any Lawyers in the house want to have a look through this & give me a concise rundown?

Does it mean what I think it does & the federal government is trying to overrule the states on covid vaccination discrimination?

It is an election year next year I guess lol.

Irrespective of what legislation does or doesn't get passed. Makes sense that it be the same for all Australians one way or another.

lionraven

Team Captain
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Any Lawyers in the house want to have a look through this & give me a concise rundown?

Does it mean what I think it does & the federal government is trying to overrule the states on covid vaccination discrimination?

It is an election year next year I guess lol.

Irrespective of what legislation does or doesn't get passed. Makes sense that it be the same for all Australians one way or another.
Im not a lawyer. A brief google comes up with this: https://www.sydneycriminallawyers.com.au/blog/proposed-law-seeks-to-prohibit-covid-passports/

Seems its a Craig Kelly dogwhistle attempt to wedge LNP voters so he can claim more of the right wing conspiracy theorist votes.

trikster

Club Legend
Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
Dion Prestia and Noah Balta have both tested positive to Covid

dlanod

Sep 14, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS; CCMariners; NQCowboys; Ravens
Any idea what happens during the season when we have 10+ players getting covid a week ?
Doubt that will happen looking at the examples of other sporting leagues.

The NFL has over 2000 players in a country where COVID is much more prevalent and no vaccine mandate so many prominent players are not vaccinated.

In any given week there's less than 10 players out due to COVID exposure, and most of those are unvaccinated.

NBA has a lot fewer players so I'm not counting them for comparison purposes, but I haven't heard of any massive outbreaks in the NHL or MLB either.

POBT

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 10, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Doubt that will happen looking at the examples of other sporting leagues.

The NFL has over 2000 players in a country where COVID is much more prevalent and no vaccine mandate so many prominent players are not vaccinated.

In any given week there's less than 10 players out due to COVID exposure, and most of those are unvaccinated.

NBA has a lot fewer players so I'm not counting them for comparison purposes, but I haven't heard of any massive outbreaks in the NHL or MLB either.
NFL reportedly has 95% players vaccinated. I believe the NBA is around the same mark. I think the vaccine mandates in New York and (I think) California probably have helped that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lionraven

Team Captain
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On the topic of mandates, this ABC article has some interesting pop interviews. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-21/qld-coronavirus-covid-vaccinations-why-now/100628062

People dont know about or care for herd immunity, risk and benefit calculations, mateship and social contracts/duties. All they see is here is a needle with some unknown stuff that could hurt or do nothing. When that changes to here is a needle with some stuff that could hurt or not going traveling/to the pub then suddenly its not a bigger deal as before. On the one hand it is great that everyone in Queensland is getting vaccinated. On the other hand its sad that its mainly for selfish reasons people are doing just the bare minimum to protect their community (and that the stakes had to be upped to job losses/loss of entertainment for it to occur). I wonder how we will go in upcoming climate emergencies when we struggle to do the bare minimum for each other. Rural Queensland is all about mateship and they seem to be the ones lagging the most. It seems to be a global phenomenon though. Thats why we will probably never beat COVID. There will be pockets of unvaccinated that will ferment newer strains which will probably require boosters and we may end up with COVID becoming influenza 2.0 that will consistently circulate between continents and kill several thousand elderly/immunocompromised/comorbid folks every year. Ah well. Im vaxxed + boostered. I cant wait to leave for overseas. I cant wait for football season and to book some trips to Melbourne/interstate for some away matches. Hope we get to play at Adelaide Oval. Would love a trip down there

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On the topic of mandates, this ABC article has some interesting pop interviews. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-21/qld-coronavirus-covid-vaccinations-why-now/100628062

People dont know about or care for herd immunity, risk and benefit calculations, mateship and social contracts/duties. All they see is here is a needle with some unknown stuff that could hurt or do nothing. When that changes to here is a needle with some stuff that could hurt or not going traveling/to the pub then suddenly its not a bigger deal as before. On the one hand it is great that everyone in Queensland is getting vaccinated. On the other hand its sad that its mainly for selfish reasons people are doing just the bare minimum to protect their community (and that the stakes had to be upped to job losses/loss of entertainment for it to occur). I wonder how we will go in upcoming climate emergencies when we struggle to do the bare minimum for each other. Rural Queensland is all about mateship and they seem to be the ones lagging the most. It seems to be a global phenomenon though. Thats why we will probably never beat COVID. There will be pockets of unvaccinated that will ferment newer strains which will probably require boosters and we may end up with COVID becoming influenza 2.0 that will consistently circulate between continents and kill several thousand elderly/immunocompromised/comorbid folks every year. Ah well. Im vaxxed + boostered. I cant wait to leave for overseas. I cant wait for football season and to book some trips to Melbourne/interstate for some away matches. Hope we get to play at Adelaide Oval. Would love a trip down there
The whole thing is a bit of a perfect storm really isn't it.

Politicians that are all self serving worrying about their own agendas, the media that care more about clicks than the greater good of society, and social media platforms that are virtually unregulated.

It's easy to get caught up in the negativity. I still think the 80/20 rule applies. Even without the vaccine mandate 80% of us would've stepped up, 80% of us were going to the shops & not panic buying selfishly. Again, though, that's not a sexy story.

I'm also double vaxxed, no booster for me yet. My sister is in my ear to switch from Pfizer to Moderna.

Not sure where I want to holiday O/S yet though. I hear Gibraltar is 100% vaccinated ;)

luthor

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Gross exaggeration. The tens of thousands appear to mostly be mild side effects. I’m sure there’s hundreds, if not thousands, who have signed up looking a free pay day, that will never actually submit a claim when they realise what the processes involve.
After my first AZ jab, I had a sore arm for several weeks.

The first night after the dose, I experienced of a mild case of hot and cold shivers

For two days I felt a bit washed out.

I regarded these as minor inconveniences and well worth it for the relief I felt for being at that point, at least partially protected against COVID.

The second dose had absolutely no "side" effects at all apart from more mental relief at knowing I was double vaxxed,

Those "hundreds or thousands" that you speak of (if they exist) need to grow a set , man up and stop being so goddamned childish and puerile

Viceregal

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
After my first AZ jab, I had a sore arm for several weeks.

The first night after the dose, I experienced of a mild case of hot and cold shivers

For two days I felt a bit washed out.

I regarded these as minor inconveniences and well worth it for the relief I felt for being at that point, at least partially protected against COVID.

The second dose had absolutely no "side" effects at all apart from more mental relief at knowing I was double vaxxed,

Those "hundreds or thousands" that you speak of (if they exist) need to grow a set , man up and stop being so goddamned childish and puerile
Even traditional vaccines have a low percentage of people who have side effects that can be devastating but the real damage to those individuals is considered worthwhile from a societal perspective when compared to the historically known real damage to other individuals from not having them (eg polio sufferers vs those who react badly to it).

Just because the side effects that you had were minor inconveniences doesn't mean that other people's deaths or significant consequences are therefore inconsequential.

Trying to tell people who know better that there are zero potential risks from the current campaign not only does not help your case but removes you from all credibility on the issue so a better approach would be to acknowledge the risks, be grateful that your personal experience was minor, and engage on the pros and cons rather than being dismissive or contemptuous.

luthor

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Even traditional vaccines have a low percentage of people who have side effects that can be devastating but the real damage to those individuals is considered worthwhile from a societal perspective when compared to the historically known real damage to other individuals from not having them (eg polio sufferers vs those who react badly to it).

Just because the side effects that you had were minor inconveniences doesn't mean that other people's deaths or significant consequences are therefore inconsequential.

Trying to tell people who know better that there are zero potential risks from the current campaign not only does not help your case but removes you from all credibility on the issue so a better approach would be to acknowledge the risks, be grateful that your personal experience was minor, and engage on the pros and cons rather than being dismissive or contemptuous.

Ok.

Fair point.

No doubt there is a small subset that will experience significant side effects. As you say, this has been the case for any type of vaccine ever administered

I made my comments in the context of the much larger subset of people that are looking for a payday from the most minor effects.

Section 5

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So only infected players will sit out, not players who have been in contact with them who have tested negative ?
A bit from the article but nothing finalised
Hopefully something in place before AFLW starts

AFL general manager of football Brad Scott wants to see COVID cases at clubs normalised like any other injuries moving forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad