Non-Lions discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else here besides me think that Gold Coast are a sneaky chance to make the 8?

Apart from one really bad half against the Dogs, they have been good to very good in every other game.

Rd 1: They gave WCE a real run for their money in Perth. Led at 3/4 time before falling away late.

Rd2: Comprehensive win against the Roos at Metricon

Rd 3: Narrow loss to the Crows in Adelaide

Rd 4: Loss to Carton by 11 pts at home after falling away in the last quarter again

Rd 5: poor loss to the Dogs but did show some grit in the second half

Rd 6: Stunned the Swans by thumping them by by 40 at home

Rd 7: Put the Pies away at the MCG by 4 goals

Not out of the running yet IMO

If they were really Top 8 contention IMO, they should have won against the Blues in Round 4. Still have time to make up their W/L record this season although injuries will play a massive part for them in not making finals if you ask me.

I reckon the Suns will finish around that 10th to 12th position this year, with a eye to playing in finals in 2022 hopefully.

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If they were really Top 8 contention IMO, they should have won against the Blues in Round 4. Still have time to make up their W/L record this season although injuries will play a massive part for them in not making finals if you ask me.

I reckon the Suns will finish around that 10th to 12th position this year, with a eye to playing in finals in 2022 hopefully.
They remind me of us in 2018, very competitive, alot of potential, talent on all lines but ultimately aren't there yet to fully run out 4 consistent quarters of football. Id expect a few close heartbreaking losses for them. If they keep their list fit and relatively injury free, they will play finals in 2022 or 2023.

They remind me of us in 2018, very competitive, alot of potential, talent on all lines but ultimately aren't there yet to fully run out 4 consistent quarters of football. Id expect a few close heartbreaking losses for them. If they keep their list fit and relatively injury free, they will play finals in 2022 or 2023.

I don't disagree, but I feel like they've spent roughly half their existence in that same position. The sentiment of 'the Suns are building, they'll push for finals next year or the year after' has been the narrative of 5 or 6 seasons for them, but never eventuated.

The other half of their existence, though, has been spent just being terrible with no hope on the horizon - so at least where they are is better than that. At some stage though, they are going to need to actually stop being a 'next year' club and actually get on a roll. I think they have enough talent and maturity to do it this year, and also think they should start being disappointed if they don't make the 8 (rather than looking at the positives from another year of development).

Really hope Sydney beat Melbourne next week at the MCG

I want Melbourne to win. Being from NSW I watch Sydney regularly and this resurgence is a bit hard to take, especially putting a bunch of kids in to beat us in Round 1. They made finals all the way up to 2018, dropped out for a couple of years, got 3 top 10 picks and back in finals conversation again ! Lance Franklin was actually being used selectively this year until he got injured, they have that much talent sitting on the ranks.

As much as the credit goes to Longmire's coaching and how well their footy club is being run, this feels too easy overall. I'd rather Sydney get smashed and stay out of the 8, even if it means we get a low first rounder.

EDIT : All that being said, I was so happy to see them beat Geelong by a point. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:.. beating Chris Scott and his entitled club was awesome, now better start losing ! :tearsofjoy: (Yes I really struggled with my barracking priorities watching Sydney vs Geelong)

Last edited:

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I want Melbourne to win. Being from NSW I watch Sydney regularly and this resurgence is a bit hard to take, especially putting a bunch of kids in to beat us in Round 1. They made finals all the way up to 2018, dropped out for a couple of years, got 3 top 10 picks and back in finals conversation again ! Lance Franklin was actually being used selectively this year until he got injured, they have that much talent sitting on the ranks.

As much as the credit goes to Longmire's coaching and how well their footy club is being run, this feels too easy overall. I'd rather Sydney get smashed and stay out of the 8, even if it means we get a low first rounder.

EDIT : All that being said, I was so happy to see them beat Geelong by a point. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:.. beating Chris Scott and his entitled club was awesome, now better start losing ! :tearsofjoy: (Yes I really struggled with my barracking priorities watching Sydney vs Geelong)
Usually i'd agree, under any other circumstances I'd want Melbourne to win over Sydney. But 8-0 is too much, someone needs to finally stand up and bring them back to earth. The reason I ultimately want them to lose is because they could stand in the way for a home final for us.

Usually i'd agree, under any other circumstances I'd want Melbourne to win over Sydney. But 8-0 is too much, someone needs to finally stand up and bring them back to earth. The reason I ultimately want them to lose is because they could stand in the way for a home final for us.

We'll take care of them in Round 11 :p

If I was Sydney I'd be ripping up his contract

He shouldn't even be playing any professional AFL anyways, after the amount of concussions he has in his career. Call me chicken or whatever but I can't imagine how bad is life will be as a result of the symptoms of concussion and CTE in his later life in the future given the new research being founded on the topic in the current climate and the devastating impact it has on a person's life :huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If the situation was reversed and the other bloke hit McCartin, the AFL world would be calling for a life ban due to his concussion problems.
In this case he will probably get 3 weeks.

Nah, that's a bad one. The last one similar was Gaff. Only luck the injury to the player wasn't similar to Brayshaw's

If he doesn't get 6 to 8 weeks the AFL isn't serious about head knocks / concussion.

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
Nah, that's a bad one. The last one similar was Gaff. Only luck the injury to the player wasn't similar to Brayshaw's

If he doesn't get 6 to 8 weeks the AFL isn't serious about head knocks / concussion.
Hall got 7 weeks for punching Staker, given the greater knowledge we have on concussions and their long term effects, anything less than 8 is not enough.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hall got 7 weeks for punching Staker, given the greater knowledge we have on concussions and their long term effects, anything less than 8 is not enough.

That one probably had a 20% Barry Hall tax included, plus the HD footage was rather striking (pardon the pun). But yes I wholeheartedly agree with you, you wouldn't want to have me on the jury making the suspension term that's for sure. It's an 8+ week suspension for mine.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I haven't seen it but it sounds like he could have killed the guy. Bleeding on the brain is a possibility. Could have been a manslaughter charge

I imagine a number of people have already had that conversation with him.

the new concussion rules are directly addressing this, but they need to have a cumulative number of concussions rule as well.

money is being put into this research field atm, and they’ll eventually get a blood test or such that sets the line.

unfortunately it’s a bit late for current players like McArtin and Selwood. They are clearly ok with the risk atm, but I’d hate to be a family member that loves them.

I don't disagree, but I feel like they've spent roughly half their existence in that same position. The sentiment of 'the Suns are building, they'll push for finals next year or the year after' has been the narrative of 5 or 6 seasons for them, but never eventuated.

The other half of their existence, though, has been spent just being terrible with no hope on the horizon - so at least where they are is better than that. At some stage though, they are going to need to actually stop being a 'next year' club and actually get on a roll. I think they have enough talent and maturity to do it this year, and also think they should start being disappointed if they don't make the 8 (rather than looking at the positives from another year of development).
The next question becomes though, is Dew considered a finals footy coach? Does their game hold up enough? Keep in mind of their 3 wins so far, one was against the clear 2021 wooden spooners, and their latest win was against Collingwood in 17th. Their only real impressive victory so far has been against Sydney, arguably a contributing factor being because Sydney had multiple injuries early on.

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Melbourne seem to have had a very soft draw. But they're a good side.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
If I was Sydney I'd be ripping up his contract

1620160131477.png

Status
Not open for further replies.