Non-Lions discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a sleezebag.......and I liked him too. Not now. Seems to be a habit with him going by those articles in papers. You would have to think his career is in jeapody after this.

Social media / smart phones & a lack of intelligence / common sense is a very bad combination.

I'd say he's pretty much gone. We'll find out over the coming weeks.

That being said, do you think the outcome would be the same if it was one of a teams' (any team) top few players that did it? It sure as hell should be, but the cynic in me thinks it probably wouldn't be.

Alas I think you are right......the better the player, the more things are swept under the carpet.
Didn’t click on the link, but I saw a headline that he didn’t go in to training today, and more women are coming forward.

Personally I don’t see the attraction in sending photos of my junk to random women.

Hey there passionate Lions supporters,

Just wanted to say my welcomes on here and this seems like the best room to do so.

My name is Ben (Benny) and I have been a massive Brisbane Lions supporter in Adelaide since I was a kid and it has been a hell of a ride supporting my beloved lions for the past 10-15 years through the highs and lows of it all.

I can't wait to chat on here with passionate supporters like myself and catch up with Lions fans in Adelaide in the future.

I hope your all doing safe and well through these times we live in as well and hopefully we can all go back to living normally in the future and enjoy going back to watch our team again ;)

Edit: Thanks everyone for all of your welcomes! I feel like this is my second home already and I can't wait to have fun with y'all ;)

Last edited:
Honestly, if the AFL and its clubs want to take mental health seriously, it must cut out this sort of s**t that whenever someone does something wrong it plays the mental health card. It is such a cop out and diminishes the seriousness of mental health. In my humble opinion of course, but this has Paul Connors all over it in order to gain public sympathy for his client and deflect the mis-deeds of his client.

Honestly, if the AFL and its clubs want to take mental health seriously, it must cut out this sort of sh*t that whenever someone does something wrong it plays the mental health card. It is such a cop out and diminishes the seriousness of mental health. In my humble opinion of course, but this has Paul Connors all over it in order to gain public sympathy for his client and deflect the mis-deeds of his client.

I’ll admit that was the first thing that I thought of as well.

Honestly, if the AFL and its clubs want to take mental health seriously, it must cut out this sort of sh*t that whenever someone does something wrong it plays the mental health card. It is such a cop out and diminishes the seriousness of mental health. In my humble opinion of course, but this has Paul Connors all over it in order to gain public sympathy for his client and deflect the mis-deeds of his client.

The problem is/it creates from the public viewpoint you can never determine the genuine mental health concerns vs the "spin" version as you say. Plenty of people have scoffed at him playing this card, but we have no way of knowing how much is manager organised or genuine concern.

Edit : FWIW I scoffed and called bullshit

My question is why does it need to be publicised? That's what takes mental illness from "oh it's probably serious" to "oh it's probably a cop out" in the public's eyes. :( I appreciate many coming forward to talk about their issues - that's honestly helpful, but putting articles out there after a scandal is just problematic and draws links between the two that are definitely not helpful.

I don’t feel he gets admitted to hospital if it’s anything other than serious. The first thing I thought was there is an underlying issue that has probably contributed to what can only be described as risk taking reckless behavior. That of course is a common symptom of depression.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t feel he gets admitted to hospital if it’s anything other than serious. The first thing I thought was there is an underlying issue that has probably contributed to what can only be described as risk taking reckless behavior. That of course is a common symptom of depression.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Taking pictures of your junk is a common side effect of depression?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taking pictures of your junk is a common side effect of depression?
Its such a cop out and the fact his manager has him playing the Lake, Lyon and Hird card is laughable.

Like a lot of criminals, the reason for the depression is only a result of being caught and feeling sorry for the predicament they find themselves in and what they'll lose (for criminals, jail compared to athletes, their careers), but unlike criminals, athletes or ex-athletes have this habit of having managers that will spin the PR machine and find a way to profit from it i.e. selling stories to papers or even in Lake, Lyon and Hird's case, Womans Day / Weekly and TV networks, which people fall for every time.

As you kind of said, Patton isn't sorry or depressed for his predatory behaviour and posting photos of his junk, it is only the result of being caught out. I will not buy for a second that his behaviour would've abated and that he would've admitted himself to hospital to deal with his behaviour but for all these women coming forward.

People like Patton, Lyon, Hird, Lake etc. etc. will never get any sympathy for me, it just astounds me that other people do give them sympathy and worse still, that people such as their managers enable them to subsequently profit from it and spin things to garner sympathy.

I never said that. I said reckless risky behavior is a symptom of depression.
Given his extensive history of rooting around well before he entered the AFL industry, one would consider that risky given the risk of STD's; would you say that he was depressed back then?

Its such a cop out and the fact his manager has him playing the Lake, Lyon and Hird card is laughable.

Like a lot of criminals, the reason for the depression is only a result of being caught and feeling sorry for the predicament they find themselves in and what they'll lose (for criminals, jail compared to athletes, their careers), but unlike criminals, athletes or ex-athletes have this habit of having managers that will spin the PR machine and find a way to profit from it i.e. selling stories to papers or even in Lake, Lyon and Hird's case, Womans Day / Weekly and TV networks, which people fall for every time.

As you kind of said, Patton isn't sorry or depressed for his predatory behaviour and posting photos of his junk, it is only the result of being caught out. I will not buy for a second that his behaviour would've abated and that he would've admitted himself to hospital to deal with his behaviour but for all these women coming forward.

People like Patton, Lyon, Hird, Lake etc. etc. will never get any sympathy for me, it just astounds me that other people do give them sympathy and worse still, that people such as their managers enable them to subsequently profit from it and spin things to garner sympathy.

I fully agree that it does feel like a cop out, but also don't think it's impossible that somebody could become at severe risk of self harm or suicide if news like that got out about them. The overwhelming sense of shame they might feel and sense of dread that they will never be able to be free of this could definitely drive people into some pretty dark places.

I'm not saying that's happened with Patton - if it was, I would think they probably would have kept it quiet rather than publicised it - but to me I think there could be a clear link between all of this news coming out about you and you very quickly entering a very at-risk headspace. Not so much a copout for what you did, but a potential product of having to face the consequences for what you did.

I'm not saying that's happened with Patton - if it was, I would think they probably would have kept it quiet rather than publicised it - but to me I think there could be a clear link between all of this news coming out about you and you very quickly entering a very at-risk headspace. Not so much a copout for what you did, but a potential product of having to face the consequences for what you did.
Sure, but Patton is only reaping what he sewed and literally now has to sleep in the bed he made for himself and insert any other one liner.

Sure, but Patton is only reaping what he sewed and literally now has to sleep in the bed he made for himself and insert any other one liner.

Yep, I agree with that - I’m just saying it is possible he is genuinely in hospital for mental health reasons, and that in and of itself isn’t necessarily spin or PR. Publicising that fact though is the problem, and I think quite poor of his manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back