Non-Lions discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reported on foxsports.com today that at least 3 clubs are willing to offer Oscar Allen approximately $850,000 a season :eek:. briztoon ?

Yeah, and I read (a headline) Collingwood has targeted Petracca as their next offseason recruit.

I can imagine two of those clubs most likely be into Oscar Allen with those offers would be Fremantle & North Melbourne given the amount of salary cap space they have at their disposal and their lack of KPF depth in their squad. About 2-3 other clubs I could think of as well though that could also be in the race, if Allen wants to leave for a better pay-check.

However, I personally think he will be loyal with the Eagles and stay on a long-term contract IMO given Kennedy would probably only have 1-2 years at the Eagles in him at most before he hangs up the boots and Allen receives a much better contract as a result.

Last edited:

patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
Collingwood need to build organically through the draft.

They need to yes, but will they?

Or have they still got the "WE IZ COLLINGWOOD AND WE IZ DA BEST AND DA WORLD MUST KNOWS IT" mentality that seems to have hit a few clubs where they try to speed-track what can't be sped up because they have this idea that they belong at the pointy end of the season?

Stuff the drop punt

Bring back the flat punt and the torp

If we are allowing the flat punt and torp back, I say we should also bring back the drop punt then in the sport for the very old boomers out there as well as whatever the hell you want to call this which was allowed in the 1909 VFL GF between South Melbourne & Carlton at the 3:55 - 4:05 mark ;)

Last edited:
Drop punts are criminally overrated.

I did find a video essay a couple of months ago by Extraverse about the history of the kicking methods/processes in the AFL from the drop kick to now for anyone interested in watching.

Last edited:

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
Seriously is there any benefit / drawback to the drop punt? It seems to be a flatter kick mainly. Is it just more difficult for no reason?
Victim of the pace of the game. Would be exceedingly difficult to execute under the pressure of modern football. Having said that, the superb state most ovals are presented in these days wouldn't do the droppy's chances of resurrection any harm - from set kicks at least. I don't think I've seen one since Barry Cable left the VFL in 1977 (not counting mug-lair efforts from the goal square looking at you Al Lynch and Doc Wheildon).

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Both Multi's still alive
20210404_232338.jpg
20210404_232222.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210404-232312_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210404-232312_Chrome.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20210404-213320_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210404-213320_Chrome.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 18

X AE A12

universalmagnetic
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some weeks I look at the draw and only 2 or 3 other matches are interesting but this week every match shoukd be a cracker.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Collingwood need to build organically through the draft.

They need to, but I wonder if they have the pressure of ‘big club’ entitlement and a time limit on how long the likes of Pendles and Sidebottom can last. There is just something old-school about much of what Collingwood does, like they are bound to their past and change only happens within the limits of their historical experience. They seem to place an undue emphasis on father/son in the draft as a cure for whatever ails them. The Daicos family has already been crowned as Collingwood royalty. It is a club that seems to struggle to separate its past from its present in a way other clubs of their ilk don’t.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The whole Beams thing really screwed them draft wise ,could have had Dev playing for them Thursday night. And then one of the few decent high draft picks they had was traded out for almost nothing. Throw in Treloar and it's five first round picks flushed down the loo

The whole Beams thing really screwed them draft wise ,could have had Dev playing for them Thursday night. And then one of the few decent high draft picks they had was traded out for almost nothing. Throw in Treloar and it's five first round picks flushed down the loo

Guess having Qaynor from that draft softens the blow a tad though. He looks fantastic, thank goodness the Next Gen academy system brought him into the game.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They need to, but I wonder if they have the pressure of ‘big club’ entitlement and a time limit on how long the likes of Pendles and Sidebottom can last. There is just something old-school about much of what Collingwood does, like they are bound to their past and change only happens within the limits of their historical experience. They seem to place an undue emphasis on father/son in the draft as a cure for whatever ails them. The Daicos family has already been crowned as Collingwood royalty. It is a club that seems to struggle to separate its past from its present in a way other clubs of their ilk don’t.

Hawthorn seem to have a similar old fashioned MO forgetting that the last flag team was built through multiple high draft picks

Could have had Dev playing for them Thursday night.

Can't imagine how ugly Dev would look in a Collingwood guernsey :sick: :sick: :sick:

Looks much better in a Lions guernsey though thankfully and hopefully that stays the way for at least a decade at the minimum ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back