Status
Not open for further replies.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Melbourne might have undone the good work trading with us last year if they slide down the ladder next year

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Casual racism perhaps?
He wouldn’t have intended it to be racist, but he came across as an old white guy who didn’t understand what he was saying was racist.

I think with any meeting on anything the attention levels start to wane after an hour in and I think that would magnified where the participants are physical outdoor types who would rather be kicking a footy or organising drills.

Mind you some of the coaches don't mind talking.
Which was pretty much my thinking.

Ethnicity probably doesn’t come in to play when it comes to such things in a football club.

You’re going to have coaches who would prefer to be out on the training field, and others who really get in to the tactical discussions, and could do a three hour meeting.

2-3 hour meetings on Zoom where you don't have to have your video on and not one word is really worth listening too aren't too bad as long as you are good at multi-tasking (for example you could catch up on your BigFooty) :cool:

Of course if you have to pay attention and/or be seen to be paying attention ... well that is a totally different matter o_O

Mind you 2-3 hours of conversation when you first met the love of your life flies by like no time at all ... but we don't call them 'meetings' (not if we wanted a second date!)

Mind you 2-3 hours of conversation when you first met the love of your life flies by like no time at all ... but we don't call them 'meetings' (not if we wanted a second date!)
The turnaround on telegrams back in the day must have been killer!

They mentioned a couple of indigenous assistant coaches, including Betts, and other roles.

But it wasn’t specific to one player. Some of what Rendell said, in regards to indigenous coaches not liking 2 to 3 hour meetings, didn’t sit well with me, simply because some of what he said wouldn’t just apply to indigenous coaches, and wouldn’t necessarily apply to all indigenous coaches either.
I believe he was speaking about his experience of Aboriginal players not liking long meetings and after half an hour they would rather be out on the field kicking the footy. I genuinely believe that he thinks what he is saying does not border on stereotyping and bordering on being racist. He is a dinosaur, unfortunately given a forum to speak tripe.

If the Brodie trade enables the Suns to do something else with the cap space (ie sign someone who better fits a need), then it is a good deal. If it just allows them to keep their current list within the cap, then they have ****ed up.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If the Brodie trade enables the Suns to do something else with the cap space (ie sign someone who better fits a need), then it is a good deal. If it just allows them to keep their current list within the cap, then they have f’ed up.

Might bring forward some contracts and free up cash for next year

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I believe he was speaking about his experience of Aboriginal players not liking long meetings and after half an hour they would rather be out on the field kicking the footy. I genuinely believe that he thinks what he is saying does not border on stereotyping and bordering on being racist. He is a dinosaur, unfortunately given a forum to speak tripe.
The fact that they don't like long meetings, if they do or if you could even generalise , isn't derogatory in my view. Hardly anyone likes long meetings.

I think Rendell gets jumped on for saying things that unfortunately come out of his mouth the wrong way and then get contextualised into a something he probably didn't infer at all.

He'd be best to say nothing or if he does steer well clear of any any social issue or those potentially involving race. Everyone thinks he's got form rightly or wrongly.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Greene out for the first 5 weeks of next season (misses 6 games in total). Definitely making a stand. Wonder what would've happened if it was a Geelong player.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Greene out for the first 5 weeks of next season (misses 6 games in total). Definitely making a stand. Wonder what would've happened if it was a Geelong player.
Everyone said 6 to 8 straight off the bat . What was the tribunal thinking ?

It really makes you question a lot of the stuff that comes out of there.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
The fact that they don't like long meetings, if they do or if you could even generalise , isn't derogatory in my view. Hardly anyone likes long meetings.

I think Rendell gets jumped on for saying things that unfortunately come out of his mouth the wrong way and then get contextualised into a something he probably didn't infer at all.

He'd be best to say nothing or if he does steer well clear of any any social issue or those potentially involving race. Everyone thinks he's got form rightly or wrongly.
He specifically mentioned aboriginals as opposed to non aboriginals, in the context of the discussion.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He specifically mentioned aboriginals as opposed to non aboriginals, in the context of the discussion.
So if you intend whatever you said to be praiseworthy or a positive is that also racist or have tinges of racism because you're differentiating ?

I guess you'd have to listen to the conversation.

Matt has foot in mouth disease. As I said he should know by now to just don't go there at all.

So if you intend whatever you said to be praiseworthy or a positive is that also racist or have tinges of racism because you're differentiating ?

I guess you'd have to listen to the conversation.

Matt has foot in mouth disease. As I said he should know by now to just don't go there at all.

And current 'logic' has that your words don't have to be offensive just that someone was / could be offended by them so it doesn't matter what you said or what you meant to say only how they heard it and how their reacted to it.

Hawkins got a game for slapping an umpire, albeit the hand.

So... yeah... I'm very curious to see whether this is a new precedent or a Greene precedent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back