Non-Lions discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good chance that depths of list is going to be tested like crazy this year. Pity the AFL cut the list sizes, an extra 2 or 3 on the list might become very handy
Might see VFL players promoted to the senior team on a game by game basis.

That’s what is happening in the NBA at the moment.

When we were at the bottom of the ladder we were disadvantaged by the expansion clubs.

Now we are at the top we will be either disadvantaged or advantaged by covid.

We aren't getting a clear run, bugger it.

COVID gave us an unprecedented advantage of a home grand final. Can't complain I think. We really squandered that.

I was so mad after that preliminary final I didn't even bother trying for grand final tickets. Watching Cats or Tigers win a historic final. Peh. No thanks.
About a week ago was the first time I have been able to work up the courage to finally watch the replay of our Prelim

About a week ago was the first time I have been able to work up the courage to finally watch the replay of our Prelim
Did you pick up anything new? My number one recollection of the game is Geelong players waltzing out of the front of stoppages, at will, almost completely unchecked. We clearly did a lot of work in the gym over last summer, and it paid huge dividends during 2021. We were very rarely, if ever, outmuscled during a game. Possibly the St Kilda game was the only exception.

A bit hard done by here in the end but I wish him all the best and hope he can get a second chance.

Last edited:
The AFL announced some rule change interpretations to come into affect in 2022
So the 2021 Laws of Australian Football have not really changed as such. Link to those rules below

The AFL have written to the Clubs about these changes.
I don't have a copy so parts below have been taken from the bigfooty main board. Link below for those interested

.................................................................................................................
From the main board but i highlighted the red bit

In summary, the 2022 Toyota AFL Premiership Season will see the following:

Time Delay
  • In 2022, Umpires will be less lenient towards Players who deliberately delay the play. A Free Kick or 50-Metre Penalty will be awarded under existing Law 19.2 (f).
  • In 2022, Umpires will no longer give a warning to Players who deliberately engage in Time Wasting and a Free Kick will be awarded under existing Law 18.13 (d).
Holding the Ball
  • In 2022, Umpires will be less lenient towards Players who have had Prior Opportunity and do not immediately and Correctly Dispose of the Football when they are Legally Tackled under existing Law 18.6.2.
    • In 2022, a Free Kick will be awarded against a Player who ducks their head prior to being Legally Tackled and does not immediately and Correctly Dispose of the Football. Umpire cues for Prior Opportunity includes: evading, fending, ducking, has a prior option (i.e. goes to handball / kick and decides not to), is balanced and steady, is awarded a mark or free-kick, or drives their head.
.........................................................................................................................................................
From the main board

The rules, as written in the Laws of Australian Football (2021) and referred to above, can be found below:

TIME DELAY
The wording of the law refers to where a field Umpire is of the opinion that a Player is unnecessarily causing a delay in play.

19.1 Spirit and Intention
After a Mark or Free Kick has been awarded to a Player, a Fifty-Metre Penalty will be awarded against the opposing Team which delays or impedes the play, or behaves in an unsportsmanlike manner.

19.2 When Imposed
Where a field Umpire has awarded a Mark or Free Kick to a Player, or a Player is preparing to bring or bringing the football back into play after a Behind is scored, a Fifty-Metre Penalty in favour of that Player will be awarded if the field Umpire is of the opinion that any Player or Official from the opposing Team:
(f) engages in any conduct which delays or impedes the play; or

18.13 Other
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player who:
(d) engages in Time Wasting

HOLDING THE BALL

18.6.1 Spirit and Intention

The Player who has Possession of the Football will be provided an opportunity to dispose of the football before rewarding an opponent for a Legal Tackle.

18.6.2 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Prior Opportunity
Where a Player in Possession of the Football has had Prior Opportunity, a field Umpire shall award a Free Kick if that Player does not Correctly Dispose of the football immediately when they are Legally Tackled.

...........................................................................................................

So to get a correct understanding of the rule interpretation you probably need to do the following. Or just yell out BALL like everyone else
I will use everyone's favorite HTB: Law 18.6. For the Time Delay changes, well you can look those up yourselves.

First you need to read the full Law 18.6 below as all parts refer to holding the ball
Then substitute the red bit in place of the blue bit. My very technical term.

So, the blue highlighted bit below comes out and is replaced by the red bit above or below. You get the idea
Simples even the main umpire can take all this in in a fraction of a second.

If he/she fails their is always another two umpires to come to the rescue

No animals were hurt in the production of this post

18.6 HOLDING THE BALL

18.6.1 Spirit and Intention The Player who has Possession of the Football will be provided an opportunity to dispose of the football before rewarding an opponent for a Legal Tackle.

18.6.2 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Prior Opportunity
Where a Player in Possession of the Football has had Prior Opportunity, a field Umpire shall award a Free Kick if that Player does not Correctly Dispose of the football immediately when they are Legally Tackled.
Substitute this
  • In 2022, a Free Kick will be awarded against a Player who ducks their head prior to being Legally Tackled and does not immediately and Correctly Dispose of the Football. Umpire cues for Prior Opportunity includes: evading, fending, ducking, has a prior option (i.e. goes to handball / kick and decides not to), is balanced and steady, is awarded a mark or free-kick, or drives their head.

18.6.3 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Incorrect Disposal Where a Player in Possession of the Football has not had Prior Opportunity, a field Umpire shall award a Free Kick if that Player elects to Incorrectly Dispose of the football when Legally Tackled. For the avoidance of doubt, a Player does not elect to Incorrectly Dispose of the football when: (a) the Player genuinely attempts to Correctly Dispose of the football; (b) the Legal Tackle causes the football to be dislodged from the Player’s possession.

18.6.4 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: No Genuine Attempt Where a Player in Possession of the Football has not had Prior Opportunity, a field Umpire shall award a Free Kick if the Player is able to, but does not make a genuine attempt to Correctly Dispose of the football within a reasonable time when Legally Tackled.

18.6.5 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Diving on Top of the Football A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player who dives on top of or drags the football underneath their body and fails to immediately knock clear or Correctly Dispose of the football when Legally Tackled.

And now here's what the rule should be:

18.6 HOLDING THE BALL

18.6.1 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick if a Player in Possession does not Correctly Dispose of the football when they are Legally Tackled.

18.6.2 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Incorrect Disposal A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick if that Player elects to Incorrectly Dispose of the football when Legally Tackled. For the avoidance of doubt, a Player does not elect to Incorrectly Dispose of the football when the Legal Tackle causes the football to be dislodged from the Player’s possession.

18.6.3 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: No Genuine Attempt A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick if the Player does not Correctly Dispose of the football within a reasonable time when Legally Tackled <although I'm kind of in the Leigh Matthews camp on this one - if the ball is not pinned and the player has his arms free, why not call play on indefinitely? Eventually he breaks the tackle, or finds a team mate and disposes, or one of the tackler's team mates comes in and finishes the job. Either way it's a more free flowing game and a better spectacle all round>.

18.6.4 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Diving on Top of the Football A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player who dives on top of or drags the football underneath their body and fails to immediately knock clear or Correctly Dispose of the football when Legally Tackled.

There. Much better. 1000% easier to understand and 1000% easier to umpire. And with the added benefit of cleaning up congestion in the game.

Thanks for sharing Section 5... never have any idea where to find this stuff!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they also need to address the scenario where a player lies on top of an opposing player and holds the ball in. It is ridiculous that the player on top is awarded a free when they are the ones stopping the play from flowing.
Historically, that was a no-brainer in-the-back decision.

I think they also need to address the scenario where a player lies on top of an opposing player and holds the ball in. It is ridiculous that the player on top is awarded a free when they are the ones stopping the play from flowing.
This situation can be most easily resolved by paying a free kick against any player who dives for the ball. Regardless of who/what is around him. Would simplify the rule, reduce the risk of concussion and serious lower leg injuries, ease congestion, as well as eliminate the situation you refer to.

Keep. Your. Feet.

Some explosive claims in this article
I wonder if Cricket Australia have paved the way for Melbourne to take action.

Shock claims of serious misconduct saw Melbourne consider sacking coach Simon Goodwin ahead of its 2021 premiership season, according to reports.

The Herald Sun revealed on Tuesday that the Melbourne board discussed the possibility as Goodwin was investigated over claims of gambling, bullying, and other behavioural issues.

The claims spanned from 2018 until early 2021, while Melbourne were reportedly in-and-out of crisis talks — including a meeting with the AFL — until April.

Some explosive claims in this article
I wonder if Cricket Australia have paved the way for Melbourne to take action.

Shock claims of serious misconduct saw Melbourne consider sacking coach Simon Goodwin ahead of its 2021 premiership season, according to reports.

The Herald Sun revealed on Tuesday that the Melbourne board discussed the possibility as Goodwin was investigated over claims of gambling, bullying, and other behavioural issues.

The claims spanned from 2018 until early 2021, while Melbourne were reportedly in-and-out of crisis talks — including a meeting with the AFL — until April.

Melbourne sacking the premiership coach for off-field reasons?

Well, they've got form. How long would that curse last though?

That is an incredible turn of events. I'm sort of struggling to process it - premiership coach, long standing addiction issues potentially resurfacing, workplace bullying, involvement of the AFLCEO. Not your average "footy summer scandal".

I wonder how that dynasty thingy’s looking at the Dees now?

Better now than twelve months ago when this was an actual relevant story I reckon.

The coach of the current premier has an addictive personality, boozes up & gambles too.

And?

Clearly doing enough right to snag a flag.

I reckon you don't win a flag without absolute buy in from all players.

The interesting thing is where did this leak come from? Too much information has been leaked for it to be just from a disgruntled club doc that
got the arse & then got paid out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back