Non-Lions discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon Geelong would've been out in straight sets if Collingwood had've rolled them. Which clearly they should've.

Everyone fawning over Geelong hasn't quite realised how insipid we were.

The Swans are in this up to their ears.

Having to play 2 weeks in a row might upset them.

Pies out in straight sets.:D They are getting nothing but praise for their efforts though eg. brave Pies, never give up Pies.

We go out in a highly dubious 3 point loss to the Giants in one finals series and by 1 point to the Bulldogs in another but get panned as not being able to perform on the big stage.

IMO the Pies will regress next season. Pendlebury 35 next season and Sidebottom 32, they will have a harder draw, teams will be ready for them, I can not see them winning that many under a goal games again and their percentage this season was not good.

Pies out in straight sets.:D They are getting nothing but praise for their efforts though eg. brave Pies, never give up Pies.

We go out in a highly dubious 3 point loss to the Giants in one finals series and by 1 point to the Bulldogs in another but get panned as not being able to perform on the big stage.

IMO the Pies will regress next season. Pendlebury 35 next season and Sidebottom 32, they will have a harder draw, teams will be ready for them, I can not see them winning that many under a goal games again and their percentage this season was not good.
They did win a final against Freo.
But the rest of the post I completely agree with.

FWIW we were lauded after 2019, which is roughly where the Pies are now.

If they lose two in a row next year the write-ups will not be as bright.

Pies out in straight sets - me.

giphy.gif

If Grundy decides he wants to stay the pies now they have re- offered their contract to DeGoey.......how do they get the 3 players in with their cap issues??

If Grundy decides he wants to stay the pies now they have re- offered their contract to DeGoey.......how do they get the 3 players in with their cap issues??

Delist and pray someone picks up Grundy for free.

But the club who's picking Grundy up could really screw the Pies by signing him for 100k. Leaves Pies on the hook for 800-900k for someone who's not on the list haha. AFL might step in at that point to mediate I reckon.

Interesting to see everyone's written Collingwood off already despite them just about winning it this year if things had gone their way.

There's been a fundamental change since McCrae took over from Buckley. I can't see them losing that in the off season.

The big issue for them is replacing Pendlebury when he gives it away. He's still a very good player.

Interesting to see everyone's written Collingwood off already despite them just about winning it this year if things had gone their way.

There's been a fundamental change since McCrae took over from Buckley. I can't see them losing that in the off season.

The big issue for them is replacing Pendlebury when he gives it away. He's still a very good player.

Can't expect them to win as many close games and they'll become the hunted. Teams will put in more time working out how to beat them and players will get up to want to beat the top team

Can't expect them to win as many close games and they'll become the hunted. Teams will put in more time working out how to beat them and players will get up to want to beat the top team
I agree . But they were still able to play in very close matches in the finals which arguably they could've easily won both. So clearly they are up to the standard. Far more than we were against say Geelong.

Maybe they won't have as many close games in '23. Obviously they have issues to contend with in '23 but I think they'll still in contention.

Iirc everyone here wrote them off before the finals series for the same reasons . In fact after they'd won 4 or 5 in a row the feeling was they weren't much good.

It's been impressive the way they've been out for the count in many games and keep finding a way when the game gets intense. They did it in every game and luck turned against them in the 2 finals games. That sort of desire is hard to manufacture.

Iirc everyone here wrote them off before the finals series for the same reasons . In fact after they'd won 4 or 5 in a row the feeling was they weren't much good.

It's been impressive the way they've been out for the count in many games and keep finding a way when the game gets intense. They did it in every game and luck turned against them in the 2 finals games. That sort of desire is hard to manufacture.

Exactly and there's no guarantee it's there round 1 next season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect them to be around the finals mark but not top 4 next year. The players they are trading in don't move the needle, and you can't expect them to win as many close games. The year after will be tough re Pendles and Sidebottom, but by then they'd be hoping the Daicos brothers can fill those roles.

I am interested to see how DeGoey goes next year once he gets his 5 year deal on phat money. He is unpredictable at best and he holds the key to the pies success next year and beyond in my opinion

I have to admit I was one who thought buddy wouldn't make it through his long term deal at the swans, but hope he gets another Premiership medallion this weekend.
I

martinson when are you purchasing your Collingwood membership for 2023?
I cannot tell a lie.

Never.

I suspected when everyone was getting into them after they'd won a few games that everyone had it wrong and a bit bemused to see them doubling down.

That's all. Loved the way they played this year. Maybe we could pay a bit of attention.

But a wooden spoon for the Pies is fine by me . Any year.

I am interested to see how DeGoey goes next year once he gets his 5 year deal on phat money. He is unpredictable at best and he holds the key to the pies success next year and beyond in my opinion
McCrae got in his head. He was actually trying his clacker off for whole games.

You wouldn't put money on him maintaining it but stranger things have happened.

Surely Saints fans have to be concerned about there short term future if someone of Hunter Clark's capabilities wants to move to North - possibly Clarkson effect?

Surely Saints fans have to be concerned about there short term future if someone of Hunter Clark's capabilities wants to move to North - possibly Clarkson effect?
st kilda have the most nothing list in the afl

a potential superstar in king, a solid midfielder in steele then a collection of overpaid jobbers cobbled together by enticing them from other clubs

the club needs to hit the draft and i feel for ratten as hes on a hiding to nothing

a potential superstar in king, a solid midfielder in steele then a collection of overpaid jobbers cobbled together by enticing them from other clubs

the club needs to hit the draft and i feel for ratten as hes on a hiding to nothing
That guy ameet bains was doing a good job for them before he got tapped on the shoulder and given a bigger job, but anyone could see this coming the year they brought hannebery and hill in as the "missing pieces". Short term thinking at its worst

That guy ameet bains was doing a good job for them before he got tapped on the shoulder and given a bigger job, but anyone could see this coming the year they brought hannebery and hill in as the "missing pieces". Short term thinking at its worst
Saints to me feel like they'll attract the odd decent player with the sole intention of wanting a pay day ala Brad Hill without feeling they are building to anything.

Thankfully the likes of Swan, Fagan and Nobel before have made us an attractive and relevant club - couldn't be more thankful to them b/c we know how the Saints are probably feeling b/w 10-18 o when those gents joined the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back