Non-Lions discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You forgot the biggest name of all……………………. KEVIN SHEEDY :straining:
Andrew Newbold would be a good get

Ben long barely got a game in a very average St kilda team and never really stood out. Pre injury Bowes was great at the Suns. Right now they're effectively paying pick 7 pick 32 and bowes for long...doesn't seem to be right value does it
I assume Long is on a fair bit less cash than Bowes is

I wonder why Gold Coast are trading out Bowes for a salary dump and giving up big assets yet then paying overs for Ben Long? Ridiculous management of that club
Same, what I don't understand is why the Suns couldn't have just traded Bowes - why they need to give up pick 7, why not one of there second or third picks, Given the supposed interest and Ablett and Dangers love for the guy, wouldnt these clubs have been interested anyway - even accounting for the salary. The pick 7 is just madness and is massively confusing.

I remember when St Kilda drafted Ben Long and also had Billy Longer on their list, I thought "man they really need to find a kid called Bob Longest to complete the trifecta".

There is a Nick Dal Santo joke to be made here, but I just can’t execute it.

Ben long is on 600k a year apparently. It's actually cooked
I think we are really seeing the problem of the minimum salary cap.

The team coming 1st taking on the salary dump of a team that came 12th heavily implies a broken system.

It's a relic of the AFL trying to sink Fitzroy in the 90s and should be scrapped immediately. AFLPA would never have it though.

Agreed Ben Long is not a great investment especially when you look at what they've ended up giving up to attract him, speaks of terrible management. Not sure why the AFL isn't in there negotiating on behalf of the suns, after its trade for West coasts first rounder for like 4 second rounders, and the Weller for pick 2 trades they really should have stepped in and taken over negotiations for them. Iirc couple of years ago they gave up pick 12 for the following year to get pick 27 to draft Jerremy Sharp who has been average and looking to leave. Crazy mismanagement at that club

Agreed Ben Long is not a great investment especially when you look at what they've ended up giving up to attract him, speaks of terrible management. Not sure why the AFL isn't in there negotiating on behalf of the suns, after its trade for West coasts first rounder for like 4 second rounders, and the Weller for pick 2 trades they really should have stepped in and taken over negotiations for them. Iirc couple of years ago they gave up pick 12 for the following year to get pick 27 to draft Jerremy Sharp who has been average and looking to leave. Crazy mismanagement at that club
Am I missing something as to why Suns couldn't have just traded Bowes without inlcuding pick 7 or just using a later pick particulalry due to the interest that Bowes obviously attracted. I am just completely baffled with the need to included pick 7.

Am I missing something as to why Suns couldn't have just traded Bowes without inlcuding pick 7 or just using a later pick particulalry due to the interest that Bowes obviously attracted. I am just completely baffled with the need to included pick 7.
Possibly Bowes plus Bowes' salary would have been less attractive without the pick 7 ...

They must have assessed the market prior to adding pick, must not have been much interest so they bit. Unless they're completely incompetent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the thing for me about Thorburn is how he even got the job in the first place, even if you ignore his role in the church. The NAB stuff, his role in the review/finding the new hire.. jeeze its just a mess.
I'm hardly an expert but I've read that overall he did a lot of positive for NAB

I'm hardly an expert but I've read that overall he did a lot of positive for NAB
Well, free money from dead people and for doing nothing will always help.

the thing for me about Thorburn is how he even got the job in the first place, even if you ignore his role in the church. The NAB stuff, his role in the review/finding the new hire.. jeeze its just a mess.
Old boys network plus the general rule that if you've been made a CEO of any decent size organisation you'll be continually appointed to other similar level roles, regardless of how much you've failed previously.

Old boys network plus the general rule that if you've been made a CEO of any decent size organisation you'll be continually appointed to other similar level roles, regardless of how much you've failed previously.
Most CEO's come in make change to show they are in charge slowly destroy the place.. Then move on quickly before anyone notices the mess to the next place.
Worked big companies long enough not to see the pattern.

I am going appoint myself CEO of my sole trader with the aim of becoming the next CEO of the Lions.
First decision would be some corporate boxes for bigfooty nutjobs. Second decision would be to turn down the PA at games. Third decision would be to put Mr Ripper in charge of social media but not music.

I am going appoint myself CEO of my sole trader with the aim of becoming the next CEO of the Lions.
First decision would be some corporate boxes for bigfooty nutjobs. Second decision would be to turn down the PA at games. Third decision would be to put Mr Ripper in charge of social media but not music.

I humbly put forward that once per year, the player's goal songs are compiled according to "Favourite K-Pop/J-Pop songs" :D

EDIT - I'll go first!!!!

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO :D

To be fair, being the CEO of a big four bank is probably equivalent to one or two other roles in the world. Would be considered the pinnacle in the corporate world and it's rare you see them move onto another CEO role. Usually retirement beckons or a lucrative gig on the speaking circuit regardless of performance.

I can see why Essendon would appoint him and circumvent due process. The appeal of having someone of that stature run an organisation as small as Essendon was percevied as too good to pass up.

I get to pick the goal choons or gtfo

SO, aside from schedule a review into things, what exactly do the Don's board and executive DO? :D

Essendon paid NFL powerbroker Michael Lombardi to assess its football department in 2019 — but failed to ever formally present his findings to the club’s board.

As the Bombers await the findings from their second formal review this season, it can be revealed Lombardi spoke to all key figures in the football department during his week-long visit to Tullamarine late in the 2019 season.

The 63-year-old attended match committee, opposition analysis, team meetings and reviews.

Lombardi sent a document filled with his observations to former chief executive Xavier Campbell, who drove the decision to engage Lombardi.

But some board members never received Lombardi’s observations while others claimed they were only given a summary.

It’s understood the Bombers covered the cost of Lombardi’s flights and paid him a small fee in exchange for his work. Lombardi also attended a luncheon with club sponsors.

The Bombers have privately conceded their old administration made a mistake by never formally canvassing the document.

It’s understood Lindsay Tanner, who was chairman at the time, did not meet Lombardi.

Tanner declined to comment on Friday.

Multiple staff members insisted that Lombardi was hands-on. They were told he would be reviewing the football program, but said they never saw any outcomes come from it.

It’s understood Lombardi spoke to staff at Essendon’s Reynolds Room and Coleman Room meeting rooms and also held less formal chats in the club’s cafe.

Lombardi has been an executive for San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia Eagles and Oakland Raiders and also worked under legendary coach Bill Belichick.

The Herald Sun put questions to Lombardi recently regarding his work for Essendon.

Lombardi, who lives in the US, asked for more information and arranged a time to speak.

However Lombardi suddenly changed his mind, saying: “My relationship with Essendon is confidential”.

The Bombers are adamant the Lombardi report is irrelevant now, given the club has undergone multiple leadership transformations since.

When Lombardi visited they had John Worsfold as coach, Ben Rutten as his assistant, Dan Richardson as football manager, Campbell as chief executive and Tanner as president.

They have all departed.

The Bombers have commissioned another three formal reviews since receiving Lombardi’s observations.

Former chairman Paul Brasher commissioned an internal review after the dismal 2020 season, which uncovered a more “ruthless” coaching mantra suited the players, and then another internal review after the 2-9 start to this season.

When new president David Barham ousted Brasher in August he demanded an external review because he was not happy with this year‘s internal review, which — like the 2020 version — was led by football directors Simon Madden and Sean Wellman.

Former player Andrew Welsh replaced Madden on the board last month.

Barham’s external review, which is being led by Ernst & Young and one-day chief executive Andrew Thorburn, is being finalised now.

Unlike Lombardi, the EY review will form a set of recommendations for the entire club — starting with the board and executive. The review will cover Essendon’s culture and processes and will also assess all of the administration and football department.

Thorburn said he hoped the EY review would lead to “great change”.

SO, aside from schedule a review into things, what exactly do the Don's board and executive DO? :D

Essendon paid NFL powerbroker Michael Lombardi to assess its football department in 2019 — but failed to ever formally present his findings to the club’s board.

As the Bombers await the findings from their second formal review this season, it can be revealed Lombardi spoke to all key figures in the football department during his week-long visit to Tullamarine late in the 2019 season.

The 63-year-old attended match committee, opposition analysis, team meetings and reviews.

Lombardi sent a document filled with his observations to former chief executive Xavier Campbell, who drove the decision to engage Lombardi.

But some board members never received Lombardi’s observations while others claimed they were only given a summary.

It’s understood the Bombers covered the cost of Lombardi’s flights and paid him a small fee in exchange for his work. Lombardi also attended a luncheon with club sponsors.

The Bombers have privately conceded their old administration made a mistake by never formally canvassing the document.

It’s understood Lindsay Tanner, who was chairman at the time, did not meet Lombardi.

Tanner declined to comment on Friday.

Multiple staff members insisted that Lombardi was hands-on. They were told he would be reviewing the football program, but said they never saw any outcomes come from it.

It’s understood Lombardi spoke to staff at Essendon’s Reynolds Room and Coleman Room meeting rooms and also held less formal chats in the club’s cafe.

Lombardi has been an executive for San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia Eagles and Oakland Raiders and also worked under legendary coach Bill Belichick.

The Herald Sun put questions to Lombardi recently regarding his work for Essendon.

Lombardi, who lives in the US, asked for more information and arranged a time to speak.

However Lombardi suddenly changed his mind, saying: “My relationship with Essendon is confidential”.

The Bombers are adamant the Lombardi report is irrelevant now, given the club has undergone multiple leadership transformations since.

When Lombardi visited they had John Worsfold as coach, Ben Rutten as his assistant, Dan Richardson as football manager, Campbell as chief executive and Tanner as president.

They have all departed.

The Bombers have commissioned another three formal reviews since receiving Lombardi’s observations.

Former chairman Paul Brasher commissioned an internal review after the dismal 2020 season, which uncovered a more “ruthless” coaching mantra suited the players, and then another internal review after the 2-9 start to this season.

When new president David Barham ousted Brasher in August he demanded an external review because he was not happy with this year‘s internal review, which — like the 2020 version — was led by football directors Simon Madden and Sean Wellman.

Former player Andrew Welsh replaced Madden on the board last month.

Barham’s external review, which is being led by Ernst & Young and one-day chief executive Andrew Thorburn, is being finalised now.

Unlike Lombardi, the EY review will form a set of recommendations for the entire club — starting with the board and executive. The review will cover Essendon’s culture and processes and will also assess all of the administration and football department.

Thorburn said he hoped the EY review would lead to “great change”.

No idea how they're still considered a "big club", they are so ineptly run it's comical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back