lionsrules

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2006
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
liverpool
Not saying I want this guy …. But I just get the feeling he may ask the question at some point in the future for a year or two before retirement

Not saying I want this guy …. But I just get the feeling he may ask the question at some point in the future for a year or two before retirement

Good mate of Josh Dunkley, IIRC.

Pride of lions

Team Captain
Nov 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So 4 people arrested after making big money on Cripps Brownlow win,apparently knew what the vote tally was. I wonder if they knew he was going to win his tribunal appeal too. Something very dodgy happening here.

So 4 people arrested after making big money on Cripps Brownlow win,apparently knew what the vote tally was. I wonder if they knew he was going to win his tribunal appeal too. Something very dodgy happening here.
Just take it off him and give it to Neale.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I didn’t read the whole article, but it sounds like someone from the firm responsible for counting the votes, leaked information to his/her mates, for them to bet on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Apparently an AFL umpire is one of the 4 people arrested.

Robbo's named the umpire in the Herald Sun (Michael Pell):

It appears Pell’s three mates, or at least one of them as the kingpin, placed the same bets across multiple agencies to try to avoid being red-flagged by the data police.

It didn’t work.

One agency was alerted to a punter or punters placing bets on players’ votes in different matches and winning every time. By the end of the count, a red flag was beside his name.

That information was given to the AFL. It cross-checked betting patterns with their other betting partners and found the same person/people had placed similar Brownlow bets with them.

The AFL immediately knew the information could only come from one source _ the umpires.

It cross checked the betting with games and the umpires involved and it produced the one constant — Pell.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wonder if they placed any red herring bets to try to disguise their tracks i.e. losing bets on games that Pell also umpired, or also a number of bets on games he didn't even umpire.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is anyone surprised ?

We've had Brownlow leaks going on for decades. The umps have a fair idea. Imagine when there was only one ump/game.

The betting on it used to be at the pub. Now the money involved is huge and you're releasing all your data to sophisticated international accounting firms who masquerade as book makers. As soon as you show yourself to be a winner you get automatically scrubbed whatever you bet on.

It's hard to fathom how dumb these people were if they went about it in the manner described.

It's also typical how everyone involved in the investigation has managed to keep it all under wraps until the Brownlow was done and dusted and we
are in the middle of the off season . I'd be gobsmacked if this is the only instance of recent years.

If only betting agencies were as astudious in utilising their data collection to identify and flag to someone at risk problem gamblers as they are in identifying people who win too much

If only betting agencies were as astudious in utilising their data collection to identify and flag to someone at risk problem gamblers as they are in identifying people who win too much
Rant incoming ...

It's a sad indictment of our society when a few people get extremely rich from continually exploiting problem gamblers. Most of our leaders and the media keep quiet as accepting gambling money in the form of tax revenue, employment and advertising is an easy option.
Although I am not into gambling, I am happy for people to bet (within their means hopefully) but the constant normalisation of this via advertising specifically aimed at younger adults will lead to considerable issues longer team.

Last edited:

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Just take it off him and give it to Neale.
It's ok to be annoyed at the result, but when these were posted, the info you needed to know these comments were wrong was freely available.
It was NOT vote rigging, it did NOT involve Cripps and the result is NOT in question. It was very clear that the umpire was only accused of passing on info about players that had received 3 votes in certain games and the bets were for individuals getting 3 votes in certain games, not the overall winner.
The umpire involved only did one Carlton game and that was round 6 against Freo, where Cripps was clearly BOG.
No single umpire is responsible for a game's votes. It's a consensus vote by all 3 field umpires and on that day, the 7 game umpire had Stevic (431 games) and Hosking (191 games) as his partners. There's no way he convinced them to vote for someone who wasn't worthy of the 3 votes.

The only dodgy thing is the umpire passing on sensitive voting info and the people he told acting on it.
By all means, be pissed off at Neale or Cripps getting a certain amount of votes in certain games (I know a lot of people were surprised that Cripps only got 1 vote in round 1 instead of 3, so I'm sure Neale got similar results), or pissed off that Cripps was eligible after having his suspension overturned (although I believe Neale was happy for him, as they're mates and business partners, and I'm yet to see any comments from Ah Chee on the incident or the reversal of suspension), but this is just a stupid, young, inexperienced umpire making a dumb decision that effects nobody except those involved.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Rant incoming ...

It's a sad indictment of our society when a few people get extremely rich from continually exploiting problem gamblers. Most of our leaders and the media keep quiet as accepting gambling money in the form of tax revenue, employment and advertising is an easy option.
Although I am not into gambling, I am happy for people to bet (within their means hopefully) but the constant normalisation of this via advertising specifically aimed at younger adults will lead to considerable issues longer team.
Before I get banned from your board, I totally agree.
I enjoy a punt, but always place fairly small bets and never chase my losses. I am more than happy and very vocal about gambling advertising going the way of smoking advertising. And alcohol should be the same. There's simply no need for it, other than the large amounts of dollars available from it.
People will continue to do it regardless of advertising. Clubs are encouraged to distance themselves from pokies, but the league digs itself deeper into the coffers of betting agencies. It makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back