Non-Lions discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd look at a couple of rotations just because we are looking at 4 away games in 5 and some may be flat.

So I'd be bringing in Mathieson and Robertson, maybe for Prior and give Berry a rest.

Melbourne is a such a piss weak club;)
Come on, we already have a generic non-contrived rivalry with Gold Coast. No need to manufacture stuff with Melbourne like we had to with Sydney for a decade or more.

I'd look at a couple of rotations just because we are looking at 4 away games in 5 and some may be flat.

So I'd be bringing in Mathieson and Robertson, maybe for Prior and give Berry a rest.

I was watching very closely and it looked like berry has been running around without his entirely shoulder the last few games! He'll have to get surgery and be immediately delisted.

The only way Mathieson should get near the first team, is if both Neale and Lyons are out injured, and JBerry can’t play proper inside minutes, because his shoulder is stuffed.

50m for being in the “protected zone” yet having no influence on the play is the most ridiculous rule in the game.
I still cant understand why when an ump balls the ball up that they wait or poiint to nominated players to contest the ruck. Seeme very Auskick like. Not only does it waste time but sometimes one team cant have a ruck b/c a player isnt nominated. Just ball it up and if a team has a second player contest the ruck, then penalise the team, but not before. Just overumpiring games and one of the dumest rules Ive seen when teams can figure it out themselves

I still cant understand why when an ump balls the ball up that they wait or poiint to nominated players to contest the ruck. Seeme very Auskick like. Not only does it waste time but sometimes one team cant have a ruck b/c a player isnt nominated. Just ball it up and if a team has a second player contest the ruck, then penalise the team, but not before. Just overumpiring games and one of the dumest rules Ive seen when teams can figure it out themselves
I tended to agree but I did have it pointed out to me that without some level of nomination, who gets the free kick if there's two ruckmen in the vicinity and the other team's ruck engages one? The team with two ruckmen can just claim that one happened to be standing next to the ruckman and the other was always taking the ruck, it's not their fault that's who he engaged. Given how hard the game is to officiate, I'm ok with taking out that ambiguity.

However the waiting for the two ruckmen to traipse across from the other side of the field is just mindnumbing. I much preferred previous years where you had to be there and if you didn't nominate you didn't get anyone at the ruck contest. You always had the option for a midfielder to nominate.

Players would just block potential ruckmen.
Best would be to just assume that that the ruckman will take the tap unless otherwise notified.

This "Nomination" rule is a classic example of a rule creating more problems than it has solved.

Like the "Stand" rule and "Dissent" rule that is a rule except when it's not.

No wonder Umpiring standards seem at an all time low.

They have so much of this peripheral bullshit that they have to deal with , that they are getting distracted from adjudicating on the important stuff and having far too many bloopers and howlers than you could reasonably expect.

As long as the AFL keep inventing more rules, the more the game becomes more impossible to umpire.

Then there is the "deliberate" OOB AKA as the "insufficient intent" rule

What a pile of stinking crap this is.

As if the Umpires don't have enough on their plates, they are also being charged with the task of being mind readers.

Cut the crap and the theatrical "will I or won't I ?" and just make it last touch OOB a free to the opposition.

Clean and simple and one less "interpretation" the Umps have to make

It works OK in the AFLW and from all reports, has been working just fine in the SANFL for years.

Another thing that needs to be abolished is the Centre Square ball up. Precious seconds are invariably wasted every game from Ball Up "recalls".

Even more ludicrous is that from time to time ,a skew-whiiffy centre bounce blatantly favours one side but the UMP mysteriously decides it's all got too hard and basically says bugger it so "play on"

The rules need simplification instead of continual addition, modification and adjustment

I like the stand rule tbh. I'm also a fan of the AFLW lasso rule too. Much better than the speculative insufficient attempt BS we see every game.
The more I see of the attempts they make to "fix" AFLM's out of bounds rule, the more I appreciate the simplicity of the AFLW one and think they should just adopt that. It's a good balance with controlled disposals versus spoil, etc, and doesn't affect inside 50.

And half the time when we know it's deliberate, the commentators know it is deliberate, the players know it is deliberate, even Dwayne and BT know it is deliberate it is not called and then some obvious shank gets called deliberate or a desperate attempt to keep the ball in and moving forward tapped to your advantage but which you don't get to (sometimes because the opposition gets in your way)

Interestingly I don't recall seeing a ball that gets sent into the forward 50 and ends up going out getting called for deliberate anywhere near as much as the ones coming out of defense or in the middle...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I see of the attempts they make to "fix" AFLM's out of bounds rule, the more I appreciate the simplicity of the AFLW one and think they should just adopt that. It's a good balance with controlled disposals versus spoil, etc, and doesn't affect inside 50.

Absolutely. It's simple, effective and one less thing for umpires to sorry about.

Absolutely. It's simple, effective and one less thing for umpires to sorry about.
I agree as well, I like the lasso rule. The only caveat I would have is, listening to some AFLW player podcasts, the players are not huge fans of the role in that they think the free kick is too high a penalty for mis-kicks and skill errors. But I like the fact that it doesn't apply within 50m. Maybe there would be an issue in that AFLM players are much more likely to have a realistic shot at goal from 50-60m out.

Maybe there would be an issue in that AFLM players are much more likely to have a realistic shot at goal from 50-60m out.
We don't see a huge number of those longer shots from the boundary though - some might have a ping, but it's definitely a very low percentage play.

I agree as well, I like the lasso rule. The only caveat I would have is, listening to some AFLW player podcasts, the players are not huge fans of the role in that they think the free kick is too high a penalty for mis-kicks and skill errors. But I like the fact that it doesn't apply within 50m. Maybe there would be an issue in that AFLM players are much more likely to have a realistic shot at goal from 50-60m out.
Yeah, I'd like to see the AFLW 50m penalty somewhat reduced to something more in line with typical kicking distance.

Should be reduced in the mens game for minor infringements as well
I agree although reason it went to 50 was teams where giving away 15m for a tactical advantage.
So yes we see some stupid 50's like some from the stand rule.. Although we not seeing player smashed after a mark to slow them down.

No matter what rules you change coaches will work out some way to use it for a advantage.

I really like them to pay dropping the ball or incorrect disposal.. Not it spilled out play on.
Although you can then see some players will wait to the player gets the ball so they get a free for the tackle.

Same as last kick over boundary.. You get back to little league footy no one touches the ball and watches it slowly roll over

I really like them to pay dropping the ball or incorrect disposal.. Not it spilled out play on.
It drives me nuts that because McCluggage is so firm with the ball, he will always get caught HTB, but if he had a looser carry (or just pretended he did) and pretended like it was knocked out in contact it'd be play on.

Not to mention the incidents with players taken to ground and somehow "disposing" of the ball, or it being "knocked out in the tackle"... after several seconds of lying on the ground.

It drives me nuts that because McCluggage is so firm with the ball, he will always get caught HTB, but if he had a looser carry (or just pretended he did) and pretended like it was knocked out in contact it'd be play on.
And Bont drops it everytime and play on.. He seems to have a skill that the drop goes to a team mate.
Lots of dogs players have skills at throwing
Some even admit their skills :)
“I think I do have an ability to draw free kicks and I think that's a skillset rather than a flop or whatever you call that," Weightman

Maybe the umps listened to that interview he got 0,1,0 frees in last 3 matches since, where was 2 a game the previous 3 games

Not to mention the incidents with players taken to ground and somehow "disposing" of the ball, or it being "knocked out in the tackle"... after several seconds of lying on the ground.
Clubs definitely train the "skill" to drop the ball to advantage of their own team when they feel a tackle could get them.... it also has the added bonus that you could get a free kick awarded to you for being held while not in possession, it drives me nuts as well.

IMO if you take possession of the ball you must dispose of it legally, if you "drop it/come loose in the tackle:rolleyes:" it is either a ball up(no prior opportunity), a HTB(prior opportunity) against or play on when it falls to the advantage of the opposition, never should it be play on and advantage to the team that dropped the ball/illegally disposed of the ball.

Clubs definitely train the "skill" to drop the ball to advantage of their own team when they feel a tackle could get them.... it also has the added bonus that you could get a free kick awarded to you for being held while not in possession, it drives me nuts as well.

IMO if you take possession of the ball you must dispose of it legally, if you "drop it/come loose in the tackle:rolleyes:" it is either a ball up(no prior opportunity), a HTB(prior opportunity) against or play on when it falls to the advantage of the opposition, never should it be play on and advantage to the team that dropped the ball/illegally disposed of the ball.

We do the drop it deliberately/not deliberately thing. One of the older players (think it was rich??) did it last week. It looked bad.

Yer all teams would do it to a varying degrees, I hate it when we do it as well.... although not quite as much as when teams do it against us.:D
Yep and Darcy fumbles how many balls over the line accidently
Every team does it.
Dogs just seem the master of getting free kicks hence they leading the comp with avg just over 25 a game and also the lowest again at 19.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back