Non-Lions discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see what you're saying about a genuine mid though, where other teams have a fouth mid we're running a group of Zorko, Bailey and Rayner through which I don't mind. It's not as settled as other teams and there's a few moving parts but if it clicks it'll be pretty dynamic. I don't think there's another team in the comp that has the constant changing of positions throughout a game like we do, it was something the Hawks had during their dynasty and it seems Fages has brought it with him.
All three of them have ability to be an elite inside player (Zorko has done it in the past). But two of them are small which can hurt if there pace isn't getting it done.

If Rayner really steps up it'll be ok, but I do feel it's not the number of inside mid options. I worry when I see the size of Cripps, Kennedy, Oliver, Petracca, etc

I see what you're saying about a genuine mid though, where other teams have a fouth mid we're running a group of Zorko, Bailey and Rayner through which I don't mind. It's not as settled as other teams and there's a few moving parts but if it clicks it'll be pretty dynamic. I don't think there's another team in the comp that has the constant changing of positions throughout a game like we do, it was something the Hawks had during their dynasty and it seems Fages has brought it with him.

Ahhh the memories! Fagan was out of his depth because we didn't have the ability to adapt the game plan when opposition got on a roll.

Now we can, people want to get rid of the flexibility and bring back dedicated position players all over the field.

The fickleness of being a footy fan.

Carlton’s midfield is good and aggressive but they’re mostly one way runners and their backline is defensively suspect. It’s a huge gamble against good sides.

Our midfield is a little bit less deep but that is a trade-off for our deeper forwardline and IMO vastly superior backline. At this level it’s a balancing act and I’m not sure you can have everything.

Last edited:
Watching the likes of Carlton, Fremantle, Melbourne, it feels like we’re still one genuine inside midfielder short.

But I don’t know where to drop a small player from, to fit another mid in.

If we’re going to continue to play Bailey, Zorko and Rayner in the forward 50, it appears to me that McCarthy might be the unfortunate player to make way.

Can’t have Freo in that list yet, if/when Fyfe returns maybe. Freos point of difference to us is defensive system.

We were second for points differential from clearance behind Carlton at the start of the round, and we were third for contested possession differential behind Melbourne and Carlton starting the round (they were both quite far ahead of us though).

If we had another genuine inside quality mid that’d be great, but we don’t have that in the reserves so rotating the hybrid forwards/mids through is our best option.

Carlton’s midfield is good and aggressive but they’re mostly one way runners and their backline is defensively suspect. It’s a huge gamble against good sides.

Our midfield is a little bit less deep but IMO that is a trade-off for our deeper forwardline and IMO vastly superior backline. At this level it’s a balancing act and I’m not sure you can have everything.

Midfield also burns out - can't manage four quarters.

Our midfield is a little bit less deep but IMO that is a trade-off for our deeper forwardline and IMO vastly superior backline. At this level it’s a balancing act and I’m not sure you can have everything.

I wonder if this Blues team will go the same way as the late '00's team that had a stacked midfield with 3 number 1 picks and Judd

I don't think the result of our match will make much difference to that tbf. Most of the media won't even realise we played
Nah all over Vic media that we are the current threat to Dees,we are rated highly, and then there’s another gap…if we win it will be situation normal..if we lose Carlton will be on par with us as the challenger,the Blues talk will snowball..and it’s already unbearable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne trailing North by 1 point in the 2nd quarter:

Melbourne Supporters: "Fold the club, we're officially sh!t again".

Melbourne trailing North by 1 point in the 2nd quarter:

Melbourne Supporters: "Fold the club, we're officially sh!t again".

I'm starting to question the grit of the Demons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back