Non-Lions discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen it a bit lately. Will Powell injury play did not stop. Prestia knocked the * out. It kept going. Common sense needs to happen

The Prestia one was poor, because the goal they kicked while that was going on was the difference in the end.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ginnivan is the first player I've seen that I expect to miss games during his career due to whiplash. Any touch on his body at all and his head starts flopping like a bobble doll.
When Matho 1st played for us there was a media & oppo fan pile on about his ducking and then again with his shotgun but no such pile on for Ginnivan or the Port player with his bow& arrow.

When Matho 1st played for us there was a media & oppo fan pile on about his ducking and then again with his shotgun but no such pile on for Ginnivan or the Port player with his bow& arrow.

And even our club still doesn't take him seriously. He has improved immensely, but doesn't get a run of games to show that improvement.

I've disagreed with the Fagan is a teacher with pets narrative up till now, but I've turned.

We need aggression on field. Players prepared to run through the brick wall players on the opposition.

Hipwood is not a big bull forward. Too skinny and too easily pushed of the ball. When he was young, there was belief he would bulk up. Hasn't happened, won't happen but we haven't reviewed the way we use him. We need to address that, especially with the only bull forward we have heading to Collingwood.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And even our club still doesn't take him seriously. He has improved immensely, but doesn't get a run of games to show that improvement.

I've disagreed with the Fagan is a teacher with pets narrative up till now, but I've turned.

We need aggression on field. Players prepared to run through the brick wall players on the opposition.

Hipwood is not a big bull forward. Too skinny and too easily pushed of the ball. When he was young, there was belief he would bulk up. Hasn't happened, won't happen but we haven't reviewed the way we use him. We need to address that, especially with the only bull forward we have heading to Collingwood.
I don't know how to put this any other way but we need more players with some mongrel in them. Geelong ,Richmond and Melbourne have them . We have....?? Melbourne completely outdid us for aggression and I think that's going to be thrown at us every week from now on. We brought in CEY to look after Neale and co. That didn't work. Cockatoo hasn't worked . We're left with Mathieson who has the mongrel but not the ability. Still after last week I'll take the mongrel bit. Our forwards lack aggression for the man when they don't have the ball. For all his faults I'm taking Gardiner back because generally he makes the opposition earn it. Ah Chee and Prior likewise harden us up a bit.

McIvor

Club Legend
May 21, 2020
Sunshine Beach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't know how to put this any other way but we need more players with some mongrel in them. Geelong ,Richmond and Melbourne have them . We have....?? Melbourne completely outdid us for aggression and I think that's going to be thrown at us every week from now on. We brought in CEY to look after Neale and co. That didn't work. Cockatoo hasn't worked . We're left with Mathieson who has the mongrel but not the ability. Still after last week I'll take the mongrel bit. Our forwards lack aggression for the man when they don't have the ball. For all his faults I'm taking Gardiner back because generally he makes the opposition earn it. Ah Chee and Prior likewise harden us up a bit.
Not talking the aggression part but it is this reason why I'd pick Dan Mc over Eric b/c Dan crashes packs and is improving - even more reason for me that we really must do what we can to keep him - not sure where we are left by letting him to go to Pies and improving them whilst we are left with nothing.

SRH17

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just listening to Dylan Buckley podcast when he was interviewing Richo. Richo mentioned that he listened too much to what people thought about him and he specifically mentioned BigFooty as one of the sites that he had to stop reading because of the effect it was having on him.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Just listening to Dylan Buckley podcast when he was interviewing Richo. Richo mentioned that he listened too much to what people thought about him and he specifically mentioned BigFooty as one of the sites that he had to stop reading because of the effect it was having on him.
You mean Daniel Rich, yeah?

I know of three (recent) players who used to read here a lot.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Fev Mentioned Big Footy being toxic if I remember. Toxic meet Toxic there

Pretty fair comment to be honest. Plenty of toxicity in Big Footy. It is like looking through a sewer for a few gems of wisdom. You can find them, but you are likely to be covered in s&@$ afterwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Are you seriously calling Fagan a teachers pet guy for not picking Matho? Lol.

Are you seriously calling Fagan a teachers pet guy for not picking Matho? Lol.

Not that simplistic for me.

There are supporters who have for a long time believed Fagan sticks with players when others should have been given a chance.

I never really believed that, I was a Garth Father Fagan disciple, but I'm starting to doubt. Not 'just because' of matho, but because there are other decisions that I don't like. Such as debutant in the most important game of the season. The shine is starting to fade just a little bit.

Does matho fit into that? For me, yes. He has improved significantly this year. I think that significant improvement matches a need in the ones and I think he deserves a chance for a few games instead of him still being in the same old box. FWIW I thought Keays deserved a run of games as well.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not that simplistic for me.

There are supporters who have for a long time believed Fagan sticks with players when others should have been given a chance.

I never really believed that, I was a Garth Father Fagan disciple, but I'm starting to doubt. Not 'just because' of matho, but because there are other decisions that I don't like. Such as debutant in the most important game of the season. The shine is starting to fade just a little bit.

Does matho fit into that? For me, yes. He has improved significantly this year. I think that significant improvement matches a need in the ones and I think he deserves a chance for a few games instead of him still being in the same old box. FWIW I thought Keays deserved a run of games as well.

How many inside mids that don't run defensively can you have in one team? I don't see the point in dropping JL for Matho and would rather give others the opportunity. I don't think we can play both JL and Matho in the same team, unless Lachie is injured.

How many inside mids that don't run defensively can you have in one team? I don't see the point in dropping JL for Matho and would rather give others the opportunity. I don't think we can play both JL and Matho in the same team, unless Lachie is injured.
Completely agree, but I would love to see a slightly different mix in there this week.
So I am secretly hoping that JL doesn’t quite get up with his injury so we can see a different mix.
I would be inclined to send Bez into the middle though, if his shoulder is up to it and have Bez, Clugga and Neale in there more often than not.
And bring others in on the wing. Like Prior who I thought deserved to keep his spot and AhChee.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Completely agree, but I would love to see a slightly different mix in there this week.
So I am secretly hoping that JL doesn’t quite get up with his injury so we can see a different mix.
I would be inclined to send Bez into the middle though, if his shoulder is up to it and have Bez, Clugga and Neale in there more often than not.
And bring others in on the wing. Like Prior who I thought deserved to keep his spot and AhChee.
Clug got monstered every time he went near the ball last week, I'd like to see him more outside on the wing. If it's possible.

Doesn't solve our M/F issues I know. Somehow we need to get Ah Chee and Prior in because at least both stand up in a contested situation. Whether they can relieve any M/F pressure is unlikely but I wouldn't mind trying Ah Chee in a few Centre ball ups. Not that it'll ever happen.

When you really analyse the options we just don't have enough true midfielders who support defensive structures. Or who are presently good enough overall. I think if we were going to play Bez M/F we certainly would've done it by now . Though he's the obvious one to stem the bleeding .

Matho has got 40+ disposals twice now in 2s. We had a bad one in midfield last week, we need to give him a go to see what he can do. Lets drop JL and play Matho. Can't be any worse than last week.

Similarly, drop Hipwood and play Fort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back