Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

You went for the family-friendly deliberate misspelling of defecting I see.

I do worry about the damage defecting would do to Elixuh if he found out. This way he thinks I'm searching the field for treasure. It's easier this way.

I do worry about the damage defecting would do to Elixuh if he found out. This way he thinks I'm searching the field for treasure. It's easier this way.

Elixuh cannot read so you should be fine to say defecting.

Anybody watching this game realise Gunston is playing? Almost a quarter in and 0 disposals, 1 free against
He went back at the end of a quarter and the commentators took issue with that as a tactic

kind of scary that the clear second worst team in the comp is better than the worst team in the comp by 10 goals.

goes to show how hard these scorched earth rebuilds are

hope we never have to go back to that again

Their list profile has been wrong for years. A combination of poor drafting, poor retention and inability to attract any talent to the club. So when their older better players have retired over the years they’ve not been replaced by emerging talent or trades.

They need to trade in 2-3 A grade players. Probably 2 defenders and 1 mid or forward.

Their list profile has been wrong for years. A combination of poor drafting, poor retention and inability to attract any talent to the club. So when their older better players have retired over the years they’ve not been replaced by emerging talent or trades.

They need to trade in 2-3 A grade players. Probably 2 defenders and 1 mid or forward.
assuming youre talking about north and not hawthorn?

their good players are queuing up to leave the club. i dont think we will ever reach the level theyre at now due to the fact we have unique advantages we can use to try draw players to the club. i cant think of any reason why any half decent player would consider going to north. what do they offer that the other victorian clubs cant?

hopefully we can leverage the academy to avoid bottoming out, having a young midfield core of ashcroft x2 and fletcher should go a long way to helping us bridge the gap to our next generation.

their good players are queuing up to leave the club. i dont think we will ever reach the level theyre at now due to the fact we have unique advantages we can use to try draw players to the club. i cant think of any reason why any half decent player would consider going to north. what do they offer that the other victorian clubs cant?

hopefully we can leverage the academy to avoid bottoming out, having a young midfield core of ashcroft x2 and fletcher should go a long way to helping us bridge the gap to our next generation.

Yes sorry north.

Yep. It’s going to take a lot of luck to get them out of the spiral. Especially if they lose another tranche of experienced players as is suggested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack is a classic case of a player going 2 years too long.
Gunston is 32 yo and some players are playing very well in their mid 30s. Tend to be midfielders, but almost unheard of for bigger forwards.

They do have a few that would be worth a crack at eg. Larkey, LDU, Xerri.

They also have some good young midfield talent in Wardlaw, Duursma, McKercher, Sheezel... can not see any of them requesting to leave just yet though.

Gunston is 32 yo and some players are playing very well in their mid 30s. Tend to be midfielders, but almost unheard of for bigger forwards.
max gawn is in almost career best form as a 32 year old

gunston's back issues from a few years ago probably caught up to him

They do have a few that would be worth a crack at eg. Larkey, LDU, Xerri.

They also have some good young midfield talent in Wardlaw, Duursma, McKercher, Sheezel... can not see any of them requesting to leave just yet though.
ldu is a free agent next year although depending on how will returns from his acl im not sure id be wanting to chase him. would be a lot invested into the midfield between ldu, dunkley, mccluggage, ashcroft x2 and neale (for however long he keeps playing).

think hes almost guaranteed to go to st kilda anyway.

for my money the most pressing list need at the club is daniher's successor

Tom Hawkins is the glaring exception but yer generally, not a good omen re Joe, Joe strikes me as the type of guy that could retire unexpectedly, wouldn't surprise if he just said that's it I have had enough and head of to Byron Bay never to be heard of again.

ldu is a free agent next year although depending on how will returns from his acl im not sure id be wanting to chase him. would be a lot invested into the midfield between ldu, dunkley, mccluggage, ashcroft x2 and neale (for however long he keeps playing).

think hes almost guaranteed to go to st kilda anyway.

for my money the most pressing list need at the club is daniher's successor

Is ldu the one way runner or is that Simpkin? One of them barely even jogs the other way.

I could watch this stuff all day

This "lengthening" of the field is crucial... You need your deepest forward to be as far forward as possible without his opponent thinking he can zone off against him. This can be a bit of cat and mouse to determine where this point actually is, and can also vary based on the game situation. For example, given Carlton were losing, late in the game Weitering would have positioned himself far higher up the ground, closer to the contest, trying to force an intercept further up the ground.

But all else being equal, lengthening the ground gives all your other players forward of the ball (high half forwards etc) way more room to lead into. You still have to time your leads properly... We routinely time ours all wrong, if we even come back to the kicker at all. Often we just keep charging back towards goal 🤦 And then when we do come back to the kicker, we usually go way too early, whereas in this clip they are perfectly timed and there is that much space you can't possibly miss them.

But often we don't even do that. Too often it looks like our thought process is "why would I want to run down to the goal square while the ball is on the wing? He can't kick it 90 metres". This is where we need to realise it's not about ME getting the ball, it's about creating space for others.

Unfortunately we seem to have players in our forward line for whom playing selflessly is not the first thought, if it's thought of at all. And THEN, if all else fails, you can still lead back towards the ball carrier, which makes you a much easier target to hit than when you're running back with the flight.

And of course, to get that much space in the first place between the ball carrier and the receiver it certainly helps if you're able to move the ball quickly and accurately, as Geelong did yesterday.

Sorry this post was meant to be a celebration of Geelong's play from yesterday but the more of it I watched the more I saw things they do that we don't, and it frustrates the heck out of me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back